🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 81 — Mortal Kombat

This movie is upsetting. Also, I think I'm beginning to fall in love with June. Guess what Paul?! You. Me. MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

He can always say no. It seems it's that simple. All that time, any contestant could have just said no. None of the guys that have been killed by Goro thought to just say no.

Also, on Johnny Cage's career post-tournament, basically the sequel picks up immediately after, and he turns into bobo Scott Wolf and gets murdered within 30 seconds.

• Like 2

Great episode, but could the commercial break have been timed a little better? It was practically in the middle of Jason's sentence!

• Like 1

i want a new series where june learns about pop culture things that are new to her and then immediately explains it to the audience
This is such a wonderful idea.
  • Like 1

I was 19 or 20 when this movie came out. I had the worst crush on this girl who had the Mortal Kombat soundtrack (I believe she even had the remix edition of the soundtrack too) and would BLAST it when she was smoking weed.

Any time I hear a reference to this movie or the soundtrack, I always think of her.

• Like 3

Here's something the movie did to to the games. In the games, Kano was originally of Japanese descent. However, they loved Trevor Goddard (the actor who played him) so much, they changed the character to an Australian as a tribute to him

• Like 1

This is still considered the best video game movie. I love the movie, but that's how bad this genre is.

Resident Evil though...

• Like 2

Come to think of it, Bridgette Wilson did have a nice breast.

That other one though.....

• Like 2

I'm only about 15 minutes it, so I'm not sure if it gets mentioned later, but there was a stage stunt show based on "Mortal Kombat" that featured none other than "Punisher: War Zone" director Lexi Alexander as Princess Katana (I think) in her first U.S. gig!

• Like 1

Speaking of "Iron Chef", Mark Dacascos (The Chairman in the American version) co-starred with Scott Wolf (they're brothers!), Alyssa Milano, and Robert Patrick in the film adaptation of the ORIGINAL beat-'em-up classic, "Double Dragon"!

For those of you that don't know who he is, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung) is the middle-aged Japanese guy in every movie that has had a middle-aged Japanese guy in it ever.

Anyone ever seen "The Next Karate Kid", the one with Hillary Swank in it? That's another movie with a female fighter where the female never actually gets hit, I don't think. In the first "Karate Kid", Ralph Macchio almost gets straight up murdered on several occasions, but in that last one, Swank gets shoved around a little. "The Next Karate Kid" made the first "Karate Kid" look like "Boys Don't Cry", the first of two films where Hillary Swank won an Oscar for essentially being beaten to death.

• Like 1

In the next video game -to- movie adaptation you cover, please make June play the game first... and also film that experience for the rest of us to watch on YouTube. :)

• Like 2

I loved the game, and loved the movie, and I think I would still love the movie as a fun, dumb movie haha, but knowing the game helps a lot. LOL Nintari :)

That last review sounds like it was written by Amy the gorilla.

Also, are there any stories of a bus load of people being murdered from around that time? I'll bet there are...

• Like 2

Add "fighting to the death" to June's list of expertise.

I saw this POS movie once as a kid and I hated it as a fan of the game and I refuse to watch this train wreck again I almost didn't want to listen to this episode because I want to erase it from my brain.

I'm guessing the LB in "LB Worshipper" stands for Left Breast. He only likes the left breast. Doesn't care for the right one.

• Like 3

Of course the soundtrack features the instrumental version of a Traci Lords song:

Yep -- There's such a thing as a Traci Lords song.

• Like 1

When this film came out in 1995, I initated a competition between my friend and I to determine who could withstand watching this movie the most times before it left the theatres. The task was an agonizing one and we ended up sneaking in to many showings together. To alleviate the excruciating boredom at having seen this film four and five times each we often resorted to running around the empty theatre during the fight scenes and shouting "MORTAL KOMBAT!" in time with the music. My friend even carved the title of the film into the wood bannister at the back of the theatre. Needless to say, I know this film pretty well (you can see a car drive through the frame during the Scorpion battle in the woods) and it was great to hear the HDTGM take on it. My friend ended up winning the competition (I think the final score was six to five), and I don't think I paid for admission to any of the screenings I went to. A few years later, I tried to recapture some of my honor by initiating a second competition for Mortal Kombat II: Annihilation, which I think I won, but to this day still feels like a phyrric victory.

"Remember when our parents died?"...Cameron, I love you...

• Like 3