🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 81 — Mortal Kombat

I just felt like I needed to make this...

2wlztr4.jpg

• Like 1

I know that the "Nundercover" movie idea generated a lot of excitement, but hear me out on "Frogger," a movie based on the video game.

Nicholas Cage is a divorced father of three who is on his way to a custody hearing when his car skids off the road and lands in a magical swamp, where he is turned into a frog. Now he has 88 minutes to hop across town, get kissed by a teenage vampire to return to his human state, and make it to the hearing if he ever wants to see his kids again. Standing in his way is the most notorious underground street racing strip in the city and a mechanical spider. As Cage-Frog hops along on his journey, he gets help from a duck from another planet, a talking gorilla, a sentient snowman, an American Idol winner, and Sandra Bullock. SPOILER ALERT -- As he's about to reach his destination, Cage-Frog is run over by Al Pacino driving a taxi. What a twist--it is the same 88 minutes! M. Night directs. . . . Five Stars!

I know it never got made, but I still don't think Tim Burton would appreciate you plagiarizing his Superman story like that.

• Like 2

Awesome job...please, please, PLEASE strike while the iron is hot and do the sequel MK:Annihilation. It makes this first one seem amazingly competent by comparison. No easy task. And please get a nerd in there that actually played the game!!

I am sure of one thing only. I'll bet the us army uses the theme song from this movie to blast out enemy forces.. god I had to mute the audio a lot to enjoy this movie.

What was up with Christopher Lambert's laugh. he's got like the driest laugh.

I am sure of one thing only. I'll bet the us army uses the theme song from this movie to blast out enemy forces.. god I had to mute the audio a lot to enjoy this movie.

What was up with Christopher Lambert's laugh. he's got like the driest laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNba0XmMAg

More believable: Christopher Lambert the mystical Chinaman or CHristopher Lambert the immortal Scotsman? It's kind of a toss-up...

Not quite related to the episode as such, but I have to say the original fan-made second opinion theme I still think is the best. It was a lot snappier, and because Jason wasn't really trying to gave it a bit of genuineness.

More believable: Christopher Lambert the mystical Chinaman or CHristopher Lambert the immortal Scotsman? It's kind of a toss-up...

Maybe this is what happens to the highlander after he dies. he becauses this guy with hat in immortal Kombat

Highlander II: Fairytale Ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW1qHfhe_TM

Don't watch this, if you have not seen the highlander two yet, you've been warned.

See it all makes since now, his hair turns white and he gets the power of a god.

Note that same strange laugh in this clip, it's in all of his movies btw.

I do still like Christopher Lambert and love highlander one.

Nah, "Highlander 2" is still the better example. The first one was a total bomb, so someone had to be high to think that spending money on a sequel was a good idea to begin with, and then they took the relatively simple concept of the first one and said "Fuck that noise. Let's ignore everything from the first one and just make Blade Runner". Oh, yeah, and it inspired THIS...

[media]

[media]

My God, the mullets and Liefeldian shoulder pads...

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

I LOVED this show as a kid. And completely forgot about that righteous guitar shredding which to this day I remember and hum when doing something difficult, totally forgot it came from this.

I wonder if the show holds up. I remember it scaring me super-bad as a kid, like this show is a bit too adult for me or something. That one guy with the mask and white hair was a frequent minor antagonist and he gave me nightmares. There was this episode with a city of kids that also made me feel uncomfortable.

Did I have reverse Flowers for Algernon or something?

• Like 1

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

I LOVED this show as a kid. And completely forgot about that righteous guitar shredding which to this day I remember and hum when doing something difficult, totally forgot it came from this.

I wonder if the show holds up. I remember it scaring me super-bad as a kid, like this show is a bit too adult for me or something. That one guy with the mask and white hair was a frequent minor antagonist and he gave me nightmares. There was this episode with a city of kids that also made me feel uncomfortable.

Did I have reverse Flowers for Algernon or something?

Do yourself a favor (?) and go to 8:13. I had no idea this ever existed, but I completely understand why.

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/01/09/atari-jaguar-cd/

I guess "Highlander" was at the absolute ass-end of the period when R-rated properties were being re-tooled and marketed to kids. We had it so great in the late 80's with "Rambo", "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Robocop", and even "Toxic Avenger" to a lesser extent. The thing with "Highlander" though is that was NEVER popular in that way, like at all, and all the stuff to come out of it was mostly inspired by that second film. Weird...

• Like 1

Would it kill them to watch 30 seconds of the actual game on youtube or something if they never played it?

Would it kill them to watch 30 seconds of the actual game on youtube or something if they never played it?

Dude, Paul has a very rare disease, not cool to make fun of it. So yes, it just might.

• Like 1

If a film requires knowledge of its backstory in order to enjoy or even understand it, the filmmakers have failed.

• Like 5

If a film requires knowledge of its backstory in order to enjoy or even understand it, the filmmakers have failed.

Also, its "Mortal Kombat" we're talking about here, not "Southland Tales". Right guys? It'd sure be great to talk about "Southland Tales"...

#HDTGMFearsSouthlandTales

Also, its "Mortal Kombat" we're talking about here, not "Southland Tales".

Seriously, the Mortal Kombat game is a button-masher with zero story. What difference does it make if the comedians makng fun of the movie have never played it? What subtleties could they have possibly missed out on?

If we were talking Baldur's Gate 2 or Metal Gear Solid movies, I could see it... but Mortal Kombat? Come on.

And this movie was made when the game had no backstory, it was in the later editions where there was a semblance of continuity being created.

This show was funnier that they didn't do that, seriously.

And this movie was made when the game had no backstory, it was in the later editions where there was a semblance of continuity being created.

There was a back story!!

Ohh btw you guys, forgot to add. you can download the music from the movie as a ring tone from itunes. could not believe they sell that. but it's your underwear that's going to get pulled over your head if you do it. LOL

This show was funnier that they didn't do that, seriously.

There was a back story!!

Ohh btw you guys, forgot to add. you can download the music from the movie as a ring tone from itunes. could not believe they sell that. but it's your underwear that's going to get pulled over your head if you do it. LOL

I think we are stretching the definition of backstory with the first couple games. Yes there were these various people fighting to the death in a tournament, but nothing like later games where characters had gigantic origin stories and there were various factions within the different worlds who fought each other or worked together.

Here is the wiki plot to the first game:

The game takes place on a fictional island in Earthrealm, where a tournament is being held at Shang Tsung's Island, on which seven of its locations serve as stages in the game. The introduction to Mortal Kombat II explains that Shang Tsung was banished to Earthrealm 500 years ago and, with the help of the monstrous Goro, is able to seize control of the Mortal Kombat tournament in an attempt to doom the realm. For 500 years straight, Goro has never been defeated in the tournament, and now a new generation of warriors must challenge him. The player receives information about the characters in biographies displayed during the attract mode. Additional information about the characters and their motivations for entering the tournament is received upon completion of the game with each character.

A very basic story of the different characters and the tournament itself.

Here is the plot/story for the most recent MK release:

Following the events of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, both the forces of light and darkness have been annihilated, with only the thunder god Raiden and Shao Kahn remaining to represent them. A severely-weakened Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, but casts a last-minute spell on his now-shattered magical amulet, directing it to contact his past self with the vague message "He must win".

During the events of the first tournament hosted by Shang Tsung, the past version of Raiden sees visions of the future courtesy of a now-cracked amulet. Raiden initially comes to the conclusion that the fighter Liu Kang is to win the tournament and save Earthrealm from Outworld. Pivotal characters such as Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, Jax Briggs, Sektor, Cyrax, Nightwolf, Kitana, Jade, and Sub-Zero are introduced, the latter being murdered by the hellspawn Scorpion. In time, Liu Kang remains the only Earthrealm champion, and succeeds in defeating Shang Tsung and the Shokan Prince Goro. However, Raiden's amulet continues to deteriorate, a sign that future events remain unchanged. Disappointed with Shang Tsung's failure, Shao Kahn orders his execution, but relents when the sorcerer suggests holding the second tournament in Outworld. Raiden initially refuses, but is forced to relent when Shang Tsung threatens to unleash Outworld's armies upon Earthrealm.

As each of the Earthrealm warriors is defeated, the younger Sub-Zero (originally named Tundra, who adopts the moniker Sub-Zero to honor his fallen brother) and Smoke arrive in Outworld to fight in the tournament on Lin Kuei terms. They are pursued by cybernetic Lin Kuei assassins, including Sektor and Cyrax, who attempt to take them back to Earthrealm for automation. Raiden attempts to change the timeline by rescuing Smoke from his transformation, but as a result, the younger Sub-Zero is automated in his place. Meanwhile, Kitana uncovers the existence of Mileena, a mutant clone of herself crafted by Shang Tsung on Shao Kahn's orders. Infuriated by the betrayal, Kitana defects from her father and joins the Earthrealm warriors. In the final round of the tournament, Raiden once again tampers with the timeline by substituting Kung Lao for Liu Kang, the original winner of the Outworld tournament, as the champion of the second tournament. Shao Kahn, however, kills Kung Lao, with Liu Kang retaliating and mortally wounding the villain. Raiden notes the timeline is still unaffected as his amulet continues to deteriorate.

Healed by the sorcerer Quan Chi, Kahn enters into an alliance with the Netherrealm and resurrects his wife, Sindel. In doing so, they nullify the ward that prevents Kahn's access to Earthrealm, initiating a full-scale invasion. Shortly afterwards, Raiden prevents the murder of Johnny Cage by slaying Motaro. Joined by fighters Kurtis Stryker and Kabal, the Earthrealmers attempt to stop Kahn, although many of them are murdered by Sindel, who had been vastly empowered by the souls extracted from Shang Tsung's body, thus killing the sorcerer. Nightwolf sacrifices himself to kill Sindel and stop her advance. Raiden confronts Quan Chi and, learning of the alliance with Kahn, realizes that the message "He must win" refers to Kahn himself — if he is allowed to merge Outworld and Earthrealm, he will be punished by the Elder Gods for a violation of the Mortal Kombat code for taking a realm without winning the tournament. Liu Kang, however, blames Raiden for the death of their allies and attacks an approaching Shao Kahn. In an attempt to change history, Raiden accidentally kills Liu Kang. Grief-stricken, Raiden surrenders to Kahn, but the Elder Gods intervene, restoring Raiden's strength which he uses to defeat and punish Kahn for breaking the Mortal Kombat code.

After killing Kahn, Raiden vows to rebuild Earthrealm with survivors Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade. Quan Chi is then revealed to be an agent of Shinnok, who intends to take advantage of the chaos and the elimination of Kahn to conquer both Outworld and Earthrealm in the name of the Netherrealm, forshadowing the sypnosis of Mortal Kombat 4.

So in just under 20 years, the story evolved from a simple tournament to the death to a epic LOTR/Star Wars style world.

I wonder if any of the story comes from the shitty comics and other stuff that launched during the initial success of the games, like if any of that carried over into the mythology at all? I think Malibu (soon to be purchased by Marvel) put out the MK books, and I seem to remember there being more wacky variants than ACTUAL issues of the comics.

I wonder if any of the story comes from the shitty comics and other stuff that launched during the initial success of the games, like if any of that carried over into the mythology at all? I think Malibu (soon to be purchased by Marvel) put out the MK books, and I seem to remember there being more wacky variants than ACTUAL issues of the comics.

I think there were small things that carried over from the comics, but not much. I mean those comics weren't even good enough to line a bird cage. If anything, I think the prequel cartoon carried over more story into the games than anything else.

People saying the Mortal Kombat games had no story have no idea what they're talking about, I know this because when I was a kid I obsessively read all those paragraphs underneath the character profiles.

Also, I love this movie (especially dat soundtrack) even though I know it's cheesy. The guys should invite a guest that's played one of the games next time.