Captain P1an3t

Die Another Day (2002)

Guys.......

This movie is insane.

Die Another Day (2002) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246460/

Let me just skim the highlights:

• Man with diamonds embedded in his face
  • Invisible car
  • gene therapy technology (spoiler related?)
  • Sun diverting satellite
  • Ice Castle
  • ELECTRIC SHOCK SUIT!
  • TIDAL WAVE WIND SURFING!!!!

Seriously, even if this doesn't get chosen you owe it to yourself to watch this movie.

For your time, I have included one redeeming quality about this piece of sh..

5332-18c69de893ab5212ade4b141e0a6d69f-151909_L.jpg

• Like 1

I'm ashamed to admit but me and my family own it on DVD and I remember liking it because that was my first introduction to the James Bond series. I haven't watched that film since but now that I'm a bit older so I can rewatch it again, I can definitely understand that a lot of 007 fans despise this for so many reasons.

You forgot the most WTF element of this movie - the Madonna cameo. So so bad...

• Like 2

I got the James Bond 50th Anniv. Blu-Ray collection. Every Bond film (except Skyfall - I got it separately) with lots of extras.

If any other Bond Film should be done perhaps Never Say Never Again. It is from the 80s with Sean Connery. It is a remake of Thunderball. It is not in the box set because it was made by a different group. Basic story is some guy was brought in to help write/produce Thunderball. They tried to cut him out later (iirc) and he sued. He was awarded co-rights to the film. He wanted to make his own version later and redid it and brought back Connery. It did just about as well as Octopussy which was released at the same time by MGM.

I liked the henchman with the diamonds in his face as that was a very Bond-esque villain, though the guy who went from Korean (?) to a white dude complete with different voice was next level nuts, sort of like when Connery was in yellow face for You Only Live Twice. Also, his reason for being evil wasn't as bad as Tomorrow Never Dies' villain who wanted to control the news using a remote control drill-missle, but it was still pretty bad. And did anyone think that the bad guy was just the kid from The Wizard all grown up?

Gustav%2BGraves.jpglucas-wizard-2.jpg

• Like 3

I liked the henchman with the diamonds in his face as that was a very Bond-esque villain, though the guy who went from Korean (?) to a white dude complete with different voice was next level nuts, sort of like when Connery was in yellow face for You Only Live Twice. Also, his reason for being evil wasn't as bad as Tomorrow Never Dies' villain who wanted to control the news using a remote control drill-missle, but it was still pretty bad. And did anyone think that the bad guy was just the kid from The Wizard all grown up?

Gustav%2BGraves.jpglucas-wizard-2.jpg

SHIT, as soon as I saw the first picture pop up, I was going to look for the Power Glove kid from the Wizard, and when I scroll down just a little more, what should appear? Well played, Sir. Well played.

• Like 1

Because I'm seemingly a masochist, I watched this movie again to ensure that maybe on the first viewing (as it had been years since I had seen it previously) that I was perhaps being a little too harsh.

Guess what? It was still as crazy-bonkers-nutso as the previous time. I understand Bond movies of the past are somewhat eccentric and definitely fall under a different category than most movies, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this movie has elements that make no sense. I can live with the man with diamonds embedded in his face if he were the villain of this movie. It's definitely unique, but it would follow suit of there being a uniqueness to each Bond villain as Ryan Sz stated. The problem is the writers decided that he wasn't "villainy" enough and landed on this. A Korean man in this movie uses "gene therapy" to "alter his appearance through DNA restructuring" (Quotes courtesy of Wikipedia) which results in him looking like a Caucasian British male with a British accent. Seriously, w...t...f?

Also, on the second viewing I noticed the rather poor editing in a few scenes. One in particular in which Bond is talking to M in an underground cache and the shot is from behind his head and it shows his mouth moving from the side, but he has no lines of dialogue.

tldr; This movie is still bonkers

And the other thing about the Bond movies is that they are somewhat a reflection of the times in which they are released. Connery was a more straightforward but suave character who didn't rely on gadgets too much in the first few movies. Lazenby seemed to be more of a sleuthy character who romanced his way to a solution, but it's hard to pin that down since he only did one movie. Moore was a chameleon whose movies were reflective of whatever genre was getting a lot of publicity at the time (blaxploitation, sci-fi, even comedy), while Dalton was all about the action/violence of dealing with drug dealers in the 80s and early 90s. Brosnan was a complete gadget Bond, every one of his movies had a 10 minute scene where Q went through the various "random" gadgets that were eventually going to help Bond save the day. Then Craig went back to a more basic, though unrefined/savage Bond who would run through walls and kill opponents with little thought to their overall place in the mission.

Unfortunately for Brosnan it became too nutso near the end of his run leading to such things like invisible cars and gene therapy villains.

• Like 1

Dalton was basically Daniel Craig 1.0, but people just weren't ready for it. Unfortunately for Brosnan, he came in off that backlash and they went back to the corniness of the Moore years (except in Goldeneye, but that's an anomaly in the Bond series for a lot of reasons).

• Like 1

Goldeneye worked in that it was the perfect mix of the previous Bond styles. It had great action, just enough of gadgets, the romance, and even the humor. Sean Bean was a great realistic foil to Bond while you still had the semi cartoony villain of Xenia Onatop. Yet they went off the deep end in the movies after that and each one was an experiment in how crazy they could get.

I remember liking "Tomorrow Never Dies" a lot at the time, but didn't care much for "The World is Not Enough". The video game was great though, and it felt a bit underrated after the "GoldenEye" game ruled the world. Man, THAT thing was like the shit-talkingest game of all time, and there always seemed to be a game going in my dorms for like 2 straight years. I think "Die Another Day" is the only Bond movie from the last 30 years or so that I've never seen in it's entirety. I still have the teaser poster for it somewhere though, and it's pretty rad.

I remember liking "Tomorrow Never Dies" a lot at the time, but didn't care much for "The World is Not Enough". The video game was great though, and it felt a bit underrated after the "GoldenEye" game ruled the world. Man, THAT thing was like the shit-talkingest game of all time, and there always seemed to be a game going in my dorms for like 2 straight years. I think "Die Another Day" is the only Bond movie from the last 30 years or so that I've never seen in it's entirety. I still have the teaser poster for it somewhere though, and it's pretty rad.

The only good thing about The World is Not Enough is that epic opening boat chase. Everything after that is terrible. Well, the song by Garbage is alright, but other than that...honestly, I couldn't tell you what exactly Sophie Marceau is doing in that movie, but whatever it is she should never do it again.

I feel bad for Brosnan because he wasn't a bad Bond and I know he wanted that role so badly. He was just burdened with terrible scripts.

• Like 1

This would be a perfect opportunity to collide the HDTGM universe with James Bonding Podcast. Matt and Matt would be amazing guests since their bond knowledge is endless.

This would be a perfect opportunity to collide the HDTGM universe with James Bonding Podcast. Matt and Matt would be amazing guests since their bond knowledge is endless.

Ooh, I'll have to look into that one, I've never heard of it

• Like 1

Yeah it's on the Nerdist, it could go along with the other possible cross-over of having June on the Indoor Kids.

The only thing I really liked about "World" is that Robery Carlyle was a pretty cool villain, very Bond-esque.

If you going to go with a shit Bond film, go with this one..

Can't deny the badness of "Die Another Day." But it isn't the worst Bond. That honour belongs to Moonraker, IMO.

Can't deny the badness of "Die Another Day." But it isn't the worst Bond. That honour belongs to Moonraker, IMO.

I'd take Moonraker over any shitty Pierce Brosnan Bond film. Also, you can't beat the name Holly Goodhead.

I think by that point there was so much deliberate campiness going on because they realized no one bought Roger Moore as a ruthless killing machine. I still say Die Another Day is waaaay worse. Madonna cameo, guys. MADONNA CAMEO.

Apparently, there was supposed to be a Jinx spinoff, but it was cancelled. All I can say is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". I can only imagine what Halle Berry would have delivered

One time I made this gif of the two worst moments in James Bond history.

cJSpnn6.gif

Ok come on the Moonraker pigeon reaction is amusing.. The surfing is stupid though.

I just wrapped up a January Bond marathon and I am just shocked at how bad the special effects are in this movie. They're like a step above Sharknado and this is a huge budget movie.

Some general Bond observations:

- It seems like the more annoyed Q is with Bond, the worse the movie. It's like Q is representing the audience.

- Especially in the later movies, Moore comes across more like a creepy horndog than a suave ladies man

- At times, Brosnan comes across like a Derek Zoolander interpretation of James Bond. The way that man can blue steel his way through an action scene is impressive.

Halle Berry is terrible in this movie.... Which is far and away the worst of the Bond franchise.

If you're after a quick-fix review of this... Listen to the James Bonding episode on this, with Ben's Acker and Blacker (both writers themselves) to pick over the rotting carcass of this movie.

I leave it to Roger Moore to sum this movie up: "I thought it was going too far, and that's from me: The first Bond in space...."

Sign in to follow this