🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar Sniffer

On the subject of movies adapted from other things...

On Episodes 81 and 81.5 for 'Mortal Kombat,' the subject of whether or not our intrepid podcast hosts should be familiar with the property being adapted before watching the movie version was once again brought up. While I totally agree that these are movies and they should stand on their own, I feel that for the purpose of THIS PODCAST, it would help if one person (a host or guest) was familiar with the property being adapted. Sure, movies like 'Max Payne' or 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' are shitty movies, but when you know the video game or comic they are adapted from, they become unfathomably, astronomically, more terrible. It's an almost viscerally painful experience watching them knowing how much better the original property was and how great a movie COULD have happened. Mortal Kombat is not a good film, but I think it gets worse when you recognize where something is coming from in the movie (like Liu Kang's random use of that "bicycle kick." which was mentioned in the podcast, or the fact that Reptile exists as a sort of "surprise" challenge). If nothing else, it would help the hosts discuss the movie if at least one person could account for, as Jason is so fond of asking, what is happening, or what is supposed to be happening.

This is actually a subject that I'm sure concerns filmmakers. At this point, don't we all know that Batman's parents are dead, that Superman is from Kyrpton, that Harry Potter is a Wizard, or that The Force is a thing in Star Wars? But how much do you explain in the actual movie? It's also different for a sequel or another installment in a franchise, since you assume there's an interest in that property going in since you are making another one. Pretty much every joke in a Die Hard sequel is contingent on the viewer being a fan of the first movie.

Most importantly, I realize this is a FREE PODCAST created and made by extremely funny humans with careers in film and television, careers that are probably a bit more lucrative and impactful than talking to nerds on the internet about crappy films. I am a person that has devoted way too much time to the history of the conflict between Scorpion and Sub-Zero and their respective ninja clans. I have problems. This podcast does not. This post is just friendly feedback from a loyal listener.

• Like 1

That's the issue with adapting movies from certain things. Instead of actually adapting it, they extrapolate their own story from within it.

Look at Street Fighter, the story of the movie is NOTHING like the game, they just had a movie and figured "Well, we stick Street Fighter in there, we can make more money from it". Then you have the Manga animé version, and it's amazing. The problem with Mortal Kombat is, they tried to stick to the story, that is a massively in-depth and complex story, and they're shoe-horning it into 90 minutes. So, it's a double edged sword. People who don't know it doesn't know what's happening, people who do know it get mad because it's deviated from the source material too much.

Speaking of Die Hard, I wonder if people who loved "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Roderick Thorpe didn't like Die Hard because it changed elements of the book.

• Like 1

Yeah, Street Fighter is another good example. I think, seeing it now, it's more confusing for people with a perfunctory knowledge of the game because... who are these characters who all have previous knowledge of each other? Why are they street fighters? There are no "streets" in this movie. If you have an intimate knowledge of the game, you know calling it "Street Fighter" is just a cash grab, but if you don't even know the game exists, it's just another shitty Van Damme action movie.

Along the same line with Die Hard, I wonder how many people who saw Bond movies in theaters during the 1960s and 1970s were angry at the changes made from Fleming's books. "Ugh, 'Live and Let Die' is about sunken gold, not drug smuggling!"

• Like 1

I disagree. I think its MUCH better that they don't know the source material. That way, things that happen are that much more fucking crazy. Kind of like June not knowing Jack Frost was about a talking snowman until the transformation scene.

If you want to hear a nerd with knowledge of the franchises talk about the films, stick with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYd_-SUATDY

• Like 1

Nostalgia Critic is great.

Considering they don't know the "Mortal Kombat" story, the inevitable "Annihilation" episode is gonna be amazing. Makes me wish my stand up career consisted of more than a few open mics just so I could get in on it. :D

I disagree. I think its MUCH better that they don't know the source material. That way, things that happen are that much more fucking crazy. Kind of like June not knowing Jack Frost was about a talking snowman until the transformation scene.

That's why I think the best combination would be just one or two podcasters knowing the backstory (if it's something with an in-depth mythology or whatever). That way, you can have the reactions to the crazy shit on screen with no foreknowledge of what is happening, and then someone in to explain (with jokes!) why it is so shitty.

Also, has there every been an episode where one or more of the hosts had no idea what movie was the subject of an episode before seeing it? Maybe Paul did that to June at some point? That could be a fun thing, even if arrangements could be made for none of the hosts being aware of the actual film, so they all go in blind.

Speaking of Video Games becoming movies, what about Need for Speed? Will that run into any of the same problems because, from what I gather, there really isn't a story in the truest sense of the word.

Shows how much I paid attention, I never noticed any stories to them., Then again, I was usually sat at my friends house trying to figure out if I could shoot myself in the head with his light gun and it actually work because I was so bored watching him play them.

That's why I think the best combination would be just one or two podcasters knowing the backstory (if it's something with an in-depth mythology or whatever). That way, you can have the reactions to the crazy shit on screen with no foreknowledge of what is happening, and then someone in to explain (with jokes!) why it is so shitty.

Also, has there every been an episode where one or more of the hosts had no idea what movie was the subject of an episode before seeing it? Maybe Paul did that to June at some point? That could be a fun thing, even if arrangements could be made for none of the hosts being aware of the actual film, so they all go in blind.

Exactly. The Street Fighter and Daredevil episodes were some of the best and funniest and they had had both people who knew the source material and ones who didn't know anything about it. I think that's the best combination possible.

Sign in to follow this