🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 142 — Film Making

What exactly goes into making a movie? Our film making expert Mike Kennedy has worked professionally in the movie biz for 15 years on over 80 feature films from Django Unchained to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Mike joins the Blastoff crew in the hatch via phone magic to talk about the various film making crafts he’s done, what’s essential in making a movie, and the steps to making a low budget movie.

• Like 1

Hahaha! Kyle... "Pull it together!!!"

Great episode! I almost went into the film industry and changed the ol' career path in my early 20's. I was always told jobs in film/commercials are very competitive, more so than acting. Is this true? Anyone out there in ForumLand working in the biz, can ya confirm?

It's competitive as in that a lot of people want to do it, but if you can throw yourself into it 100 percent and outwork your peers, there are always opportunities. Movie crews are a group of misfits. Since you're only as good as the last job you did, there is a high turnover rate.

The easiest way to get in the biz is to work for free. If you're good, you'll get noticed.

• Like 1

Nice job, Mike.

I thought it was a really interesting discussion, but the phoned-in episodes just don't quite click. Like, this obviously wasn't his intention, but when David asked Kyle to be more engaged, he might as well have said "Don't let the guest talk anymore." Obviously the (non-comedian) guests are always going to defer to the hosts, and I feel like opportunities to politely nudge their way back into the conversation are virtually non-existent if they're not there in person.

I hear ya, Kickpuncher. I would have liked to be there in person, but work didn't allow it. It was actually really hard doing it on the phone at all. I had my headset on with noise mufflers on over the earpieces. I know it wasn't ideal, but I was happy with the way the show came out. Definitely would have been better in person though.

Woo, New Orleans represent!

Thanks again for another fun episode, guys (and girls).

I'm very impressed by David's comeback in the top-shelf-thoughts game!

Also, could Mike Kennedy be a more likable person? I think not. :)

Sign in to follow this