🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 82 — Double Team

Oh man, 14 year old me LOVED that Punisher movie.

I'm afraid to watch it now, though!!!

Oh, don't you worry, it's still great and a fine representation of action films of it's time. I still bust it out on occasion and enjoy it quite a bit, which I can't really say about the 2004 one, which has it's moments, but then also has a boring hour or so BETWEEN those moments.

Okay, ridiculous shit checklist:

- How did JCVD's rival "warden" inmate know that JCVD was going for the raft and the exact day? Even if he knew, how was he already there in a scuba suit when the lasers were only turned off the instant before JCVD hit the water?

I think the rival in scuba gear was attempting his own escape at the same time and was trying to kill JCVD to get him out of his way so he could get lifted to the plane.

More evidence that this script was absolute garbage: At one point JCVD asks Rodman if he knows how to fly a plane. Rodman responds, "Like a bird." I'm no ornithologist but I'd say a bird would make a pretty terrible pilot. Its wings couldn't operate any of the controls and its feet wouldn't even reach the floor of the cockpit.

• Like 1

But if you got a neo-raven uplift they make pretty good pilots, and theyre small so they dont take up much room on a flight and just operate the controls using their mesh inserts just like any normal person would.

Whats maybe a more stupid thing about the question of if he can fly a plane or not...he doesn't, they just get a pilot. It was all pointless so they could use that as some banter to fill screen time and then its immediately discarded. Its like the script wasnt finished and just said *INSERT LAME BASKETBALL PUN HERE* and no one could think of anything, but they kept the scene anyway.

• Like 1

More evidence that this script was absolute garbage: At one point JCVD asks Rodman if he knows how to fly a plane. Rodman responds, "Like a bird." I'm no ornithologist but I'd say a bird would make a pretty terrible pilot. Its wings couldn't operate any of the controls and its feet wouldn't even reach the floor of the cockpit.

I would think that they had the "like a bird" part in mind first, right? I mean, if that's your punchline/payoff, you'd work backwards from that to make it make sense in the script I would think. However, I've seen TOO many movies where the characters are impossibly quick-witted, like they were just WAITING to use a perfectly-crafted response to this question that they'd only been asked one second ago, so it's refreshing to see such a sloppy exchange, which would probably be the most realistic thing in the movie.

I've got an interesting Dennis Rodman story. A friend of mine directed a commercial about 15 years ago that featured Rodman. Rodman was talking to the director and a couple of the PAs about how his usual manager couldn't make it there that day and looked nervous. The director noticed a few minutes later that Rodman was sitting alone looking at his script kind of dumbfounded. A few minutes before they're set to roll, Rodman pulled the director aside and said, "Look, I can't read. Can you just tell me what my lines are?" Apparently the whole shoot went off without a hitch after that.

I would think that they had the "like a bird" part in mind first, right? I mean, if that's your punchline/payoff, you'd work backwards from that to make it make sense in the script I would think. However, I've seen TOO many movies where the characters are impossibly quick-witted, like they were just WAITING to use a perfectly-crafted response to this question that they'd only been asked one second ago, so it's refreshing to see such a sloppy exchange, which would probably be the most realistic thing in the movie.

Do you think it was supposed to be a pun on him being 'the Worm'?

I've got an interesting Dennis Rodman story. A friend of mine directed a commercial about 15 years ago that featured Rodman. Rodman was talking to the director and a couple of the PAs about how his usual manager couldn't make it there that day and looked nervous. The director noticed a few minutes later that Rodman was sitting alone looking at his script kind of dumbfounded. A few minutes before they're set to roll, Rodman pulled the director aside and said, "Look, I can't read. Can you just tell me what my lines are?" Apparently the whole shoot went off without a hitch after that.

man between this and the longform from a couple years after his retirement where he basically spent all his time drinking and trying to surround himself with people so he wouldn't be alone im starting to feel hella bad

Did anyone else notice the production logo had a tiger in it? After seeing that and the tiger in multiple scenes, I felt like the studio was like "we have to have put a tiger in this movie as much as possible". It's probably a coincidence, but I need to believe it's true.

• Like 2

Did anyone else notice the production logo had a tiger in it? After seeing that and the tiger in multiple scenes, I felt like the studio was like "we have to have put a tiger in this movie as much as possible". It's probably a coincidence, but I need to believe it's true.

That is/was Mandalay Entertainment's standard logo.

I actually thought that was the beginning of the movie, and I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't. Then the tigers started showing up later and I thought, this is the perfect production company to make this movie.

Sign in to follow this