🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Joven

Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985)

I dont think this has been posted yet (it was mentioned in a few other threads, but the title being made of small common words makes it hard to search for)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6pXPHaWM0

So I just watched the trailer for the first time, and it makes it sound like its trying to be a girly Ferris Beauler's Day Off, and it is so very much not.

For starters: there is actually a very small amount of "girls having fun" in it.

Secondly: fun isn't even remotely the point, nor is being rebellious, its all about a dance contest.

A contest with seemingly no rules or organization, where you can turn up with your own dance partner or not and its still apparently random who you'll dance with (which is how our 2 heroes are brought together), or maybe bring a couple of partners (in the case of "paul rust and the miss cleos"), whatever. underage? they couldn't give a shit.

This is a dance contest to be on a dancing TV show. A dancing TV show which brings you the latest in dancing news...DAILY. Its a daily show, its on every freakin day (mon-sat at least, no mention of a Sunday show, but I can only assume its there).

So in essence this movie boils down to a couple things, bottomlessly terrible and incredibly flamboyant dance numbers/training montages, and stupid interactions of the characters as they form relationships and rivalries seemingly at random.

Also, stupid clothes. Basically everything Helen Hunt wears is seemingly picked at random by going blind into a thrift store and anything she touches she puts on her body somehow (whether its clothes or not).

From her giant yellow shirt with no back and giant toy grasshopper stuck on her head combo,

2z53t49.jpg

to her furtrapping clown ensemble

scsww8.jpg

Not to mention her troll hair, velcro reversible schoolgirl skirt, and other things. And shes not the only fashion disaster (this is a dance movie after all, so theres plenty of goofy costumes)

Just some random things this movie has: gymnastic nun, baby pizza, gay circus party crashers, peeping on naked siblings, offensive stereotypes, dance rape ala crossroads, SJP seemingly needing a pee in every scene, so many montages, torching a dog, and neon pink credits.

I believe its on netflix instant (according to some site which lists those, but I dont have it to check), its also on Amazon instant but not on the prime (it is on youtube in full though), or you can pick it up at Cannes in the Helen Hunt movie section.

(and i'll admit, i cheated and watched with a rifftrax - http://www.rifftrax....ack-productions )

• Like 1

So I just watched the trailer for the first time, and it makes it sound like its trying to be a girly Ferris Beauler's Day Off, and it is so very much not.

How does a movie try to be like a movie that won't come out for another year? This is 1985 and Ferris isn't until 1986.

Based on the fashion, writing, premise, and everything else that goes on, one can assume this movie is from a different dimension, which would have had ferris beulers day off released already...that or I meant that KIND of movie which it has become the archetype for and I didn't want to find another example (I actually did look it up beforehand, which is why I changed it from "a rip off" of it to just trying to be that type of movie.)

This movie was the kind of thing that was on Comedy Central in the afternoon when I would get home from middle school. So, you know, total garbage. Inter-dimensional garbage? Maybe, maybe not, but it's certainly worth making fun of.

Instead of fun, I JUST WANT TO update the link to the riff referenced in the first post because I lack shame. (The iRiff section of Rifftrax has been down for close to a year now.)

https://gumroad.com/l/NtZr

Here's a sample clip/trailer kind of thing:

Thanks to Joven for purchasing my sillies.

+1 here

The cast highlights alone should be enough for this to be on HDTGM:

-Sarah Jessica Parker

-Helen Hunt

-Shannen Doherty

-Jonathan Silverman

-Lee Montgomery ("Bobo Joey Lawrence")

-Ed Lauter (hardass character actor)

And a shit-ton of body doubles for all the dancing scenes, because no one acting in this movie can actually dance.

lee_montgomery44.jpg

Hell no. I created a profile just to vehemently disagree with this recommendation. As a girl who grew up in the 70s and 80s, this movie is a staple and cannot be besmirched. Except maybe for the fact that SJP is always just wearing her skimpy underwear/dance leotard and baggy shirt around her younger brother - I always found that odd and inappropriate.

Giving this a bump. Girlfriend is new to HDTGM and also recommended. Plan on watching it soon

On 2/15/2014 at 11:36 PM, Joven said:

I dont think this has been posted yet (it was mentioned in a few other threads, but the title being made of small common words makes it hard to search for)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6pXPHaWM0

For starters: there is actually a very small amount of "girls having fun" in it.

Secondly: fun isn't even remotely the point, nor is being rebellious, its all about a dance contest.

A contest with seemingly no rules or organization, where you can turn up with your own dance partner or not and its still apparently random who you'll dance with (which is how our 2 heroes are brought together), or maybe bring a couple of partners (in the case of "paul rust and the miss cleos"), whatever. underage? they couldn't give a shit.

This is a dance contest to be on a dancing TV show. A dancing TV show which brings you the latest in dancing news...DAILY. Its a daily show, its on every freakin day (mon-sat at least, no mention of a Sunday show, but I can only assume its there).

So in essence this movie boils down to a couple things, bottomlessly terrible and incredibly flamboyant dance numbers/training montages, and stupid interactions of the characters as they form relationships and rivalries seemingly at random.

Also, stupid clothes. Basically everything Helen Hunt wears is seemingly picked at random by going blind into a thrift store and anything she touches she puts on her body somehow (whether its clothes or not).

From her giant yellow shirt with no back and giant toy grasshopper stuck on her head combo,

2z53t49.jpg

to her furtrapping clown ensemble

scsww8.jpg

Not to mention her troll hair, velcro reversible schoolgirl skirt, and other things. And shes not the only fashion disaster (this is a dance movie after all, so theres plenty of goofy costumes)

Just some random things this movie has: gymnastic nun, baby pizza, gay circus party crashers, peeping on naked siblings, offensive stereotypes, dance rape ala crossroads, SJP seemingly needing a pee in every scene, so many montages, torching a dog, and neon pink credits.

I believe its on netflix instant (according to some site which lists those, but I dont have it to check), its also on Amazon instant but not on the prime (it is on youtube in full though), or you can pick it up at Cannes in the Helen Hunt movie section.

(and i'll admit, i cheated and watched with a rifftrax - http://www.rifftrax....ack-productions )

I’m so confused. This must be my drop dead Fred because this movie is fun. Dance contest......fun! boys...........fun! teenage rebellion and 80s clothes and music...........FUN! 

One of the funniest things about this movie is that nobody remembers watching it, yet every guy remembers the “tune in Tokyo” part.