🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
supertweet

Big Thank You to Mildred/Sarah for being an Unsung Hero.

Registered just for this post.

Found the podcast via Hardwick's Nerdist a few weeks' back; although I've never played D&D, listening to these hilarious characters role-playing and going off on tangents has brought me endless entertainment and a desire to find a game.

To the podcast itself: The dynamic between Brian/Blaine/Ken/Sark/Jerry is so fantastic. Between Brian the grumpy curmudgeon, Blaine the comic relief, Sark the enabler/web-spinner, Ken the subtle deviant, and Jerry the match/instigator, I've been howling as the group continually weaves in and out of gameplay seriousness and meandering ramblings.

However, with such boisterous characters, the podcast for me has potential to devolve into one-upmanship, with the guys speaking over each other, for example. However Sarah always seems to pull the guys back in with an astute question about a potential action during gameplay or a "roll-of-the-eyes" giggle to one of the more outrageous/outrageously funny comments by another. Although the guys seem to disparage one-another mercilessly if good-naturedly, they seem to respond to Sarah's points/comments as little nuggets of wisdom and insight; she's like the Momma Bear to these clowns.

All of which makes it all the more hysterical when Sarah mines her latent snarkiness and quick-wittedness to golden effect, such as when she cried out "Nooooo! Jerry...!" reproachfully when El-Ryan used the Spirit Bear to attack the boat-handlers early on, or commented "Get it back to fighting weight" regarding Brian's assertion that, ahem, female unmentionables might require post-baby healing time, causing Brian to crack up.

If this is an unabashed-sounding love letter, well, so be it. As it seems Sarah doesn't frequent the boards often, I'd appreciate it if one of the guys forwards the comments to her, and thanks, all of you, for the hysterical podcast. Hope the new rug rats (congrats to Sark/Blaine/Sarah?) don't interfere with gameplay too much.

Regards,

Jeff

• Like 9

I always see hear Sarah as the voice of sanity during the episode.

Her reaction to Brian's little speech recently (the "I'm evil but I'm trying really hard to not upset you guys" one) was fantastic.

• Like 2

Sarah's definitely the voice of reason and the moral compass here. She's exactly the type of character I'd be playing. I think Mildred's supposed to be chaotic good(?), but she's definitely a truly good character.

I take it back; was catching up at the Gym and heard #59 (The Tunnel to Glinishmore), where Sarah vehemently defends Billy Joel; Oh Sarah...

Although, she makes it for it by initially giggling and joining in while the guys poop on Sark's EDM love. I've become a creepy internet dude and have a computer crush.

BTW, the last 5 minutes of this episode contained some of the most hysterical "bagging on a buddy" I've ever heard!

This thread starting to feel a bit awkward - these guys have obviously been playing together for years and complement each other in a way that comes along with the experinence. And as much as I agree that Sarah is a vital, not-to-be-missed part of that dynamic - they all know when there is room for rambling and when to focus; they also know their roles and how to use them to best effect. Thats why listening to them is so much fun!

• Like 1

This thread starting to feel a bit awkward - these guys have obviously been playing together for years and complement each other in a way that comes along with the experinence. And as much as I agree that Sarah is a vital, not-to-be-missed part of that dynamic - they all know when there is room for rambling and when to focus; they also know their roles and how to use them to best effect. Thats why listening to them is so much fun!

Like The Invisible Boy from 'Mystery Men', "Just go with it...."

• Like 2

Looks like Mildred got it right by prudently using her water to narrowly avoid death. If only she remembered to heal up...

"Game of Prongs." Oh Sarah, you slay me.

And, upon seeing Hodor's junk pic, "oh. Oh. Oh Woww." Love it.

Edited by supertweet

I've definitely missed Sarah's presence recently and realised what a vital if understated role she plays. She keeps the boys from indulging too heavily in plain gross-out humour whilst adding her own witticisms and moving the game forward with the very well defined character of Mildred.

Huzzah for Sarah and hurry back soon!

GZ

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this