🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 83 — Winter's Tale

Fellow Earwolf podcaster Andy Daly (Comedy Central’s Review, The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project) joins Paul & Jason to discuss Winter’s Tale aka a movie that was deemed unfilmable. They’ll cover everything from the flying horses, the totally bonkers library scene, and the surprise guest who plays Lucifer with a Jimi Hendrix shirt. Plus, Jason breaks down why this movie is Harry Potter and why he is obsessed with the trailer for “

.” People of Los Angeles, make sure to get tickets for the added 10pm LIVE How Did This Get Made? on Friday, March 14th at Largo! The theme of the night will be HULKAMANIA. Get tickets at www.largo-la.com Also, treat yourself by grabbing a copy of Paul’s comic book Aliens Vs. Parker now available at www.amazon.com!

holy shit. this episode was perfect.

need a meme of paul "bones her to death- because his dick is too hot"

• Like 4

Just the way the guys were talking about this reminds me of when people try to explain watching reliving the traumatic experience of having been exposed to ZARDOZ

• Like 1

Just starting the new episode, and Jason says that he and Andy had never done a podcast together but I know for sure Jason was on the CBB episode with the debut of Andy's Cowboy Poet Laureate.

• Like 1

Just starting the new episode, and Jason says that he and Andy had never done a podcast together but I know for sure Jason was on the CBB episode with the debut of Andy's Cowboy Poet Laureate.

They've been on together a lot, but I don't think they are counting when Andy has been in character.

• Like 1

Zouks has been on CBB with Dalton Wilcox, Chip Gardner, Bill Carter, and Cactus Tony but I don't believe him and Andy Daly have ever been on together. I don't even think Andy Daly has ever been on CBB.

• Like 11

As soon as they started talking about the trailer for Blended, I stopped the podcast and immediately went to watch it.

Un-freakin-believable.

• Like 4

This is what my comment to my friend was about the baby being dropped in a boat after we watched this: "Peter Lake's real miracle was that he survived his parents dropping him into the sea."

• Like 1

Martin Scorcese said it was unfilmable. So what do they do? Film it. Ughhh. I'm glad I didn't go see this, or find it by "other means."

Also, cool to hear Jason and Andy Daly together for the first time on a podcast.

• Like 2

Im sure its been said above i didn't bother checking i fucking love hearing Andy Daly critically analyzing things because he uses the best words and is so fucking crushingly accurate its a joy to hear him especially with the HDTGM crew great ep!!

sidenote..definitely missed junes input

Today on How Did This Get Written - the entire Dan Brown bibliography.

Paul: "Whoa. Holy shit, guys. I don't even know how to get started on this one."

Jason: "Guys. Guys. This is garbage. Insult your intelligence while finger-banging your mom garbage."

June: "I ... I kind of loved it."

• Like 3

Speaking of Crowe's antics, I was an extra for a few days on "The Next Three Days" a few years back in a scene where Crowe and Elizabeth Banks are running through a crowd of Pittsburgh Pens and Pirates fans, down into the subway, and then on to a train where they make their escape. I don't think I made it onscreen at all, but they run past me TWICE (I was in two different places) as they board the train, which then goes into the very same tunnel that I probably got murdered in two years later when it blew up in "The Dark Knight Rises" during my one day as a member of the Gotham Police Department. Anyway, between shots, me and a couple of the other extras were hanging out by this coffee stand, and Crowe and his people were always coming back to it. I'd do the "don't talk to the actors" nod, he'd give a little wave to us, get his coffee, and leave. One time, he came by, and the person was on a BREAK, so the stand was closed temporarily. He left calmly without incident, and probably just went over to the next one, but I was so furious on his behalf that I went over, ripped a pay phone out of the wall and beat the living shit out of that coffee stand right in it's smug fucking face. OK, not really. That didn't happen at all. I used my cell phone. My piece of shit little flip phone, and no one noticed... *sigh*

I think my favorite experience with this film was when I was watching this with my friend in the theater.... at the time when the horse and Peter were being ganged up on on the bridge, there is some mega acting going on between Peter and the Horse. As Paul noted, there are some good close ups on the horse's face. During one such moment in this scene, I hear my friend whispering to himself under his breath "...talk......talk...!"

To which I think to myself "There is NO way this fucking horse is about to start talking...... is he????"

And for a brief, magical moment... I was ready and willing to partake in the horse's first lines of the movie. Alas.... he flew off into the ether, instead.

• Like 4

Using the crude drawing to spot Lady Sybil Beverly is especially stupid because, crude though it may be, it looks nothing like her. The hair of the woman in the drawing is perfectly straight and flat on her head. Beverly's hair is wavy and curly and permed. But the driver even holds it up in front of him for contrast like, "OMFG!! That's totally her!!!" No, it's not.

Yet they're ready to kill her immediately. If they have no qualms with killing random people, why not just kill every redhead who vaguely resembles a smear of ketchup? If not, shouldn't Soames' men have at least staked out a few of the redheads in town first to see if Lake ever showed up? I guess that's too much to expect considering they can't even manage to find the only guy riding a big fucking white horse through the streets of New York.

Also, further points against the movie, the drawing kept reminding me of this:

tumblr_l49z1lBZGl1qbztwlo1_400.jpg

Which STILL looks more like Beverly than the actual drawing.

• Like 1

can we please just have an excerpt of when they all want to start talking about the movie and Zouks immediately starts by talking about the Blended trailer.

I haven't seen the movie but I did some reading the other night about the novel and "magical realism" (a term I hear often but wasn't 100% sure what it meant) and apparently at some point in the book Peter Lake and his white horse get caught "in a cloud" or something and that is how 100 years passes...in the movie I guess they explain it as roaming NYC for 100 years. Not sure which one would be easier to understand or translate better on to film...both seem batshit insane to me.

I am really interested to read this book now. There are some things that are just so fantastical that you accept in a book that just do not translate into film. Sounds like that is the case here for sure.

Thank you for talking about the Blended trailer. HOLY SHIT I lost my mind when I saw it a while back. I wish there was more talk about it in the episode because it is so ludicrously bad and stupid.

• Like 2

This is what my comment to my friend was about the baby being dropped in a boat after we watched this: "Peter Lake's real miracle was that he survived his parents dropping him into the sea."

I made myself laugh during the scene where Old Willa looks out the window, DURING BROAD DAYLIGHT, to search for her sister's star "somewhere up there in Orion's Belt." "Um...that's the sun," I imagined Peter saying.

• Like 1