🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 274 — Oh, Golly!

Wow, yeah that ending was completely unexpected.

This might be getting too much into how the bread was made, but I really want to know if Andy had an idea for Gil and Golly before the episode then had to completely throw it out the window. Like was Golly supposed to be an actual ventriloquist dummy until he was deemed to be a box from the garbage? Had Andy already envisioned him as a source of evil more powerful than Satan himself? One of the great things about Andy's appearances is when the others try to trip him up and he has to do incredible gymnastics to make his characters' stories work out, but it felt like the relationships of past characters were thrust upon him.

I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but I kinda hope this wasn't canon for all of the characters involved. I was really interested to hear where it was going before all of the callbacks drove the story and I get the feeling that might always be the case now if Andy wants to bring out a new insane character. Or maybe it was his idea to connect everything all along. Or maybe I'm a psycho for analyzing this so much. Regardless, I think the good vs evil (with mostly evil people on both sides) fight is going to be a fun set up and I'm always glad to see Jason and/or Andy as guests.

• Like 2

Wow, yeah that ending was completely unexpected.

This might be getting too much into how the bread was made, but I really want to know if Andy had an idea for Gil and Golly before the episode then had to completely throw it out the window. Like was Golly supposed to be an actual ventriloquist dummy until he was deemed to be a box from the garbage? Had Andy already envisioned him as a source of evil more powerful than Satan himself? One of the great things about Andy's appearances is when the others try to trip him up and he has to do incredible gymnastics to make his characters' stories work out, but it felt like the relationships of past characters were thrust upon him.

I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but I kinda hope this wasn't canon for all of the characters involved. I was really interested to hear where it was going before all of the callbacks drove the story and I get the feeling that might always be the case now if Andy wants to bring out a new insane character. Or maybe it was his idea to connect everything all along. Or maybe I'm a psycho for analyzing this so much. Regardless, I think the good vs evil (with mostly evil people on both sides) fight is going to be a fun set up and I'm always glad to see Jason and/or Andy as guests.

i'm pretty sure andy daly's thought process started with "how can i say the punchline "oh golly!" over and over?" and it pretty much snowballed from there.

• Like 3

On the second listen through I noticed that Jason mentions Three Dog Night whose hit "One" used numbers as metaphores. Scott wins again

To anyone concerned about canon-- I would not sweat it. Comedy is the goal, and continuity is only important if the performers themselves are adhering strictly to it. Rarely does canon get directly addressed, like when Cake Boss clarified to Scott that his last appearance was not canonical because Paul didn't want to take the character there permanently. With Andy's appearances, Scott and Jason seem to be towing the canonical line. The ADPPP doesn't strictly follow continuity either (from CBB). Even if this whole thing turns into a giant battle between heaven and hell, it will not hinder a future appearance by DiMello to just talk about anew production. I hope this is a reassurance. This saga is very fluid, and permanence of consequences will not be a factor when the dust settles. I believe this.

• Like 1

If this is to be an ongoing saga, it at the very least sets up an alternate timestream from the ADPPP Chip Gardner episode where Carol Channing is clearly revealed to be Satan herself.

I think the best way to resolve this is to bring in Jamie Denbo for the sequel and just let everyone hash it out. That would be something to hear!

*sigh* Andy Daly is just amazing. It's crazy to think that just a few years ago I only knew him as "Gordon" from the "Ben Franklin" episode of The Office

02-01-07-07.jpg

• Like 5

Scott Aukerman, PFT and Gillian Jacobs give them a run for their money IMO.

Scotty Aux, Benny Schwaz, and Werner Herz is a pretty great trio too

Could throw in Wompler/Listler too. Pretty impressive what the Chocktaw has done in a few years, maybe not invent a genre but certainly perfected it.

• Like 1

*sigh* Andy Daly is just amazing. It's crazy to think that just a few years ago I only knew him as "Gordon" from the "Ben Franklin" episode of The Office

02-01-07-07.jpg

He's had a way longer, more mainstream career than you think.

• Like 1

"To be continued" WAIT, WHAT? I don't think I've ever heard a CBB episode end without some plugz, but certainly never like that. I can only assume that what they were doing was so golden, and magical, that they just kept rolling in that studio for that whole Hollywood Afternoon, and then cut it up into two glorious podcasts. Sweet Jesus.

For all we know, part 2 could be out tomorrow.

At the same time, we might want to lower our expectations a bit. It could be like Time Bobby where it was a WTF ending that wasn't immediately followed up on. Similarly, there was also that episode where Bob Ducca turned Bill Hader and Scott into clones of himself in the final moments.

• Like 1

For all we know, part 2 could be out tomorrow.

At the same time, we might want to lower our expectations a bit. It could be like Time Bobby where it was a WTF ending that wasn't immediately followed up on. Similarly, there was also that episode where Bob Ducca turned Bill Hader and Scott into clones of himself in the final moments.

Well, the main difference between this one and those is that it was explicitly stated in the episode that this will be continued. If the ep doesn't drop tomorrow, I'm sure it'll come Monday.

that first bit with andy daly when he was just rambling about the minutiae of his public performances was some of the funniest shit ive heard in ages, he should have just kept on that!

I have a theory...hear me out on this:

For those listening to Nerd Poker, Brian and the gang are in pursuit of an ancient evil that kills ladies and children. So far, a few characters have passed on but more have joined the battle. Could this be the first Inter-Earwolf Universe spanning podcast? Can Don Dimello be the ultimate evil Brian Posehn and Friends are preparing to fight, while Scott, Zouks and the Good Daly Characters are preparing on another plane?

tumblr_lu4m1yEiIc1qzquwto1_500.jpg

He must be stopped!

• Like 8

For those listening to Nerd Poker, Brian and the gang are in pursuit of an ancient evil that kills ladies and children. So far, a few characters have passed on but more have joined the battle. Could this be the first Inter-Earwolf Universe spanning podcast? Can Don Dimello be the ultimate evil Brian Posehn and Friends are preparing to fight, while Scott, Zouks and the Good Daly Characters are preparing on another plane?

He must be stopped!

"Bring out the girls, Glenishmore!" If I hear these words spoken, I might faint in happiness.

• Like 3

I freaking knew it! Don Dimelo is the Yellow King!

It all makes sense....

True Detective Season 2 really should be Scott and Jason trying to decipher the devilish connections between all of Daly's characters.

So according to Scott there is no part 2 in the immediate future. I assumed they recorded it all in one sitting and split it up after the fact. Oh well.

So according to Scott there is no part 2 in the immediate future. I assumed they recorded it all in one sitting and split it up after the fact. Oh well.

Thought so. I personally don't think it needs a part two. It stands on its own and can be picked up again next time Andy and Jason are on, or disregarded.

He must be stopped!

this is the best thing i've ever read on these forums

:(

• Like 1

or Arclight Theatres or Pasadena Children's Playhouse....

Why do you think Don has 15 girls trapped in a tower playing Rapunzel? Murder Club!

Is this Don?

1390255976573.png

You beat me to it. I'm starting to think Nick Pizzalooloo based True Detective on the Aukerman/Zouks/Andy Daly saga from CBB. I think you're all way off base putting Bill Carter on the "good team"

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong-time lurker, first-time poster.

There are MANY great guests in Bing Bong history, and I won't argue the merits of a Jessica St. Clair, Seth Morris, Adam Scott, James Adomian, Nick Kroll, Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, Bobby Moynihan, Ben Schwartz, Tom Lennon, Lauren Lapkis, Jon Gabrus, et al.

Or even - clutch the pearls - a Mr. Paul F. Tompkins.

But, I think my favourite combination of guests/host has got to be Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly and Scott Aukerman.

Holy Dinah.

• Like 2

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong-time lurker, first-time poster.

There are MANY great guests in Bing Bong history, and I won't argue the merits of a Jessica St. Clair, Seth Morris, Andy Scott, James Adomian, Nick Kroll, Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, Bobby Moynihan, Ben Schwartz, Tom Lennon, Lauren Lapkis, Jon Gabrus, et al.

Or even - clutch the pearls - a Mr. Paul F. Tompkins.

But, I think my favourite combination of guests/host has got to be Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly and Scott Aukerman.

Holy Dinah.

Patton Oswalt is also great in that "first guest/2nd host" role.

• Like 1

Oh everyone beat me to it, but this whole episode sounded like it was inspired by True Detective to me.

Maybe Earwolf can get the rights to "Twin Peaks" and re-boot with Zouks as the FBI agent, Flash Backerman as his boss, and Andy Daly as everyone else in Twin Peaks.

• Like 1