🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 65 — The Cavern Explosion

Imagine what would've happened if Sir Richard had targeted his light blast at the three suicide bomber man-rats standing in the middle of the man-rat group. Oh man, oh boy oh boy, that would've been cool (of course, there was no way for Sir Richard to know they were highly explosive, being silhouetted and all. I would have taken out the big guy first as well, with the knowledge Gerry had).

This episode just proves that nothing good can come from going on pleasure cruises

• Like 9

Sark-"It's a group of dwarves and a strange dwarf/wolf hybrid"

Trondor-"we walled it off, because of an... infestation"

Trondor-"strange, this city populated by ratmen wasnt here when we walled off this section of mine"

Trondor-"strange, these tunnels werent here before. the ratmen must know how to make tunnels"

Trondor-"More of an infection, or a disease than an infestation"

Sark-"on the back of the tapestry a message is scrawled "dont get bitten"heeeehehehe"

Sarah-"did any of us get bitten?"

Sark-"heheheheheheheheh..."

Ken-"well we were swimming in a swarm of rats"

Sark-hehehehehehe... youre all scared. i love to make my friends scared"

Sark-"there's a big explosion. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh"

Jerry-"shitty DM"

Sark-"there's a bigger explosion. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh. i love making my friends sad."

Ken-"shitty DM"

Sark-"there's another huge explosion. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh"

Brian-"shitty DM"

Sark-"there's explosion that's a thousand times bigger than the last one. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh... you're all dead! hehehe"

Everyone -"shitty DM!"

Brian- cries. sobbing, calls wife from car.

Sark-"go home. don't throw away your character sheets!" See you next week listeners!

Forum- "SHITTY DM" "SHITTY PLAYERS" "WE LOVE THIS PODCAST!"

• Like 2

Too many bad vibes in here. Take it easy guys.

I'm not hating on anyone. I just find it hilarious that Sark refers to himself as shitty. They've known each other for so long that it's become something of a compliment, albeit backhanded. This is one of the best podcasts out there, and let's face it there is some emotional investments going on with these characters: 'Brian- cries. sobbing, calls wife from car.' It was a bit like the Red Wedding. I can hate Sark for killing off characters, but I can forgive him for it because I love the players and the game.

• Like 1

Sark-"It's a group of dwarves and a strange dwarf/wolf hybrid"

Trondor-"we walled it off, because of an... infestation"

Trondor-"strange, this city populated by ratmen wasnt here when we walled off this section of mine"

Trondor-"strange, these tunnels werent here before. the ratmen must know how to make tunnels"

Trondor-"More of an infection, or a disease than an infestation"

Sark-"on the back of the tapestry a message is scrawled "dont get bitten"heeeehehehe"

Sarah-"did any of us get bitten?"

Sark-"heheheheheheheheh..."

Ken-"well we were swimming in a swarm of rats"

Sark-hehehehehehe... youre all scared. i love to make my friends scared"

Sark-"there's a big explosion. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh"

Jerry-"shitty DM"

Sark-"there's a bigger explosion. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh. i love making my friends sad."

Ken-"shitty DM"

Sark-"there's another huge explosion. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh"

Brian-"shitty DM"

Sark-"there's explosion that's a thousand times bigger than the last one. heheh take tons of damage. heheheh... you're all dead! hehehe"

Everyone -"shitty DM!"

Brian- cries. sobbing, calls wife from car.

Sark-"go home. don't throw away your character sheets!" See you next week listeners!

Forum- "SHITTY DM" "SHITTY PLAYERS" "WE LOVE THIS PODCAST!"

I'm not 100% on where you're trying to go with this, but to me you're coming off as a smug league of legends player that is either missing background of the podcast or listened to 50+ hours of something you don't enjoy.

I could be wrong but it just seems bitter, but I am certainly guilty of saying the wrong stuff especially on forums.

I do enjoy the podcast for two major reasons, the cast is entertaining/amiable, and they play dungeons and dragons exactly like a group of my friends.

"We love this podcast"

Sark gets caught up in exciting situations, seeming malicious. Leaves the characters lives to chance rather than running the show.

"Shitty dm"

I think he leaves it to chance because he doesn't either have the heart or confidence to sentence his friends to certain death. Which is why he gives them ways out. As for poor foreshadowing I have a feeling the story changes and develops in his mind as it goes to make it more thrilling unfortunately developing some plot holes.

Players get caught up in trying to act their part rather than be a munchkin.

"Shitty players"

I believe Gerry with his silence before the rat ogre was trying to think on two levels, should I just survive? How would sir Richard try to survive? He took the harder choice once he figured out how his character would respond. What he was thinking sir Richard was thinking, I don't know.

As for Sark being sadistic and leaving Brian in the dark I think dm mode gets stuck on and he wants Brian to live the story. Awesome in some ways Sark is fucked up in some ways.

These guys all have things going on outside of this as well. I appreciate the players not playing munchkins and Ss Sark not giving players infinite plot armor.

• Like 1

not smug at all, Uncle D.

love every second of this podcast.

Sark is a great DM.

maybe I'm mistaken about where he's going with this, but if not then he did plenty of foreshadowing(and more than enough misdirection).

I have a notion that next episode Brian's deep sadness will be inverted to a wailing 5hourenergy fueled high.

well played Mr Sark. well played.

• Like 1

not smug at all, Uncle D.

love every second of this podcast.

Sark is a great DM.

maybe I'm mistaken about where he's going with this, but if not then he did plenty of foreshadowing(and more than enough misdirection).

I have a notion that next episode Brian's deep sadness will be inverted to a wailing 5hourenergy fueled high.

well played Mr Sark. well played.

I'm glad I misunderstood, probably just seeing "tons of damage" makes me expect negativity. I do agree this episode has made some "explosive" reactions.

i want to drink myself in to oblivion so i can pass out and sleep through the next 8 hours. I CAN'T WAIT!

• Like 1

Not Sir Richard! He just had a couple of days left 'til retirement... in Glennishmore.

I'm busy as hell but goddam if this episode doesn't require a pic of Sir Richard walking through the flames.

Oh please make this happen!!!!

Brian might be good at role playing Damien but his complete lack of understanding of the basic rules for magic users and his inability to learn them after being told numerous times is not entertaining, which IS the main point of this show.

Posehn is both the worst player and least entertaining member of the cast.

And his appearance on Community sucked.

Brian might be good at role playing Damien but his complete lack of understanding of the basic rules for magic users and his inability to learn them after being told numerous times is not entertaining, which IS the main point of this show.

You could always just go listen to something else or comment in a constructive way? Being an asshole is neither necessary nor appreciated. Or just keep being a jerk until a mod feels like banning you.

• Like 8

A lot of fellow listeners appear to be missing the lesson being offered by Mr. Sark in this episode. If you keep referring to your DM as "shitty" (regardless of who started it), he or she will likely snap one day and blow you to smithereens.

• Like 2

Your appearance on Community, though, was note perfect and hilariously performed.

Oh, wait...

• Like 2

Every party needs a pooper

That's why they invited you

Party Pooper

Party Pooper

I started catching up on this show after not being able to listen to it for awhile. This was a rather depressing episode to start with.

You could always just go listen to something else or comment in a constructive way? Being an asshole is neither necessary nor appreciated. Or just keep being a jerk until a mod feels like banning you.

We don't truck to that kind of nonsense round yonder. This forums is an oasis of civility and geniality in the frothing sewer of the internet.

Boo! Boo! Boo to you, sir.

• Like 1

So... I just listened to this episode, and I think Sark is running a really unfair game. I understand he's trying to be light on the rules to make the podcast move faster, but this episode makes me doubt his knowledge of the rules in the first place (sorry if this is a dead horse I'm beating, I haven't spent a lot of time in the forums, yet). Namely, he avalanches all of this damage on the party without a saving throw. I don't know about anyone else, but 2d10+1d12 damage is ridiculous without any chance to mitigate it.

*puts on thick rimmed glasses and slowly pushes them up nose*

I believe the initial damage from the collapsed wall should have been treated as a non-magic trap, making an attack roll before doing damage. The fire, then, should have granted a saving throw versus either spell or breath weapon for half damage, depending on Sark's preference.

I know this is really knit picky, but I understand Brian's frustration over losing a character when there is nothing the player can do to stop it.

**Edit**

My frustration has dissipated some, having listened to ep. 66. However, transparent railroading still isn't fun, and saving throws are important.