🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 80 — Extreme Vaping

Jake’s good buddy Andy Daly stops by to talk about stumbling upon the UCB in the early 90s in New York, the inspiration behind many of his characters, and how his new Comedy Central show Review (premiering March 6th at 10pm) came about. Do they also chat about The Rockettes, Sha Na Na at Woodstock, and The Monkees? You bet they do! Don’t forget to check out all the videos from this episode are over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles! If you’re in Los Angeles, come join Jake as he presents a midnight 35mm screening of Ladies and Gentleman: The Fabulous Stains on Friday, April 4th at Cinefamily! Go to www.cinefamily.org for tickets.

• Like 6

Part 1 of the Andy Daly Trifecta!

Thank YOU so much Jake for having Andy Daly on the Files! This was the perfect way to start my work day. My co-worker is looking at me oddly as I'm laughing so hard; then again, she alway looks at me oddly when I'm laughing at podcasts.

Andy Daly might be the greatest Earwolf guest ever!

• Like 1

I misread the title as "Extreme Vamping".

Oh, and I also loved Andy Daly's closet killer when I saw it.

I misread the title as "Extreme Vamping".

If it was Extreme Glamping, pehaps Jake can get Natasha Leggero on the Files!

It was great to hear where Andy gets the background and inspiration for his characters, the rockettes discussion especially, because that shit is creepy

Holy shit, did you guys watch that Peter Alllen video? What a spaz that guy was. Run run run, shake maracas, play piano for a couple seconds, then jump on top of piano, then run some more, shoulder-shimmy a little bit, play more maracas, run, skip, hop, shimmy. I think maybe there was some nose candy involved. Yeah, maybe some nose candy.

I hope you have more Peter Allen videos for when Hugh Jackman is on The Fogelnest Files

oof. that sha na na video depressed me

This episode was AMAZING. I loved getting some insight into Andy and where his characters come from. Just gold. You're the best Jake.

• Like 1

Does 'Billy on the Street' have a writer's room? If there is a place where Jake Fogelnest and Julie Klausner sit and write jokes, THAT should be its own show.

Does 'Billy on the Street' have a writer's room? If there is a place where Jake Fogelnest and Julie Klausner sit and write jokes, THAT should be its own show.

Yes, we have a writer's room and it's as great as you think it is!!

• Like 1

Somehow I missed Crossballs when I was growing it up. I looked it up after this podcast and witnessed madness.

Thank you, Jake Foglenestle for unearthing that gem for me!

Yes, we have a writer's room and it's as great as you think it is!!

Lots of vinyl records, music documentaries played on a loop, and everyone dressed in tuxedos?

It's nice to hear Andy talk about the inspiration behind some of his characters. Also, I'd like to hear that Monkees podcast. Can You Dig it?

THIS IS 100% TRUE. Did Julie talk about this on her podcast? We spent an entire day watching this.

You mentioned it on the Jenny Johnson episode of the 'Files.

Great episode, nice to hear from "real" Andy once in a while.

It was pretty fascinating to hear him say he was nervous about the pre-interviews and press stuff for Review.

He's so good at grounding his characters in such a terrifying reality, it's odd to think of him as not in control of a situation.

For me anyway.

And I found that title card so appropriately jarring - more so that I was expecting it to pan to the right after listening to this episode before actually seeing it. The graphic has that 60's, Halloween costume packaging feel - like it should be in the middle of a hypno spiral.

• Like 1

It was pretty fascinating to hear him say he was nervous about the pre-interviews and press stuff for Review.

He's so good at grounding his characters in such a terrifying reality, it's odd to think of him as not in control of a situation.

It reminded me of when Phil Hartman went back to host SNL, and the monologue was about how he was so used to doing characters that he couldn't speak in his own natural voice and had lost touch with his own personality.

• Like 1