🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
KuntyAzIWannabe

Just One of the Guys (1985)

Even as a wee one I knew there were plot holes in this cinematic masterpiece, but it remains one of my favorites regardless.

I think they've really overlooked the entire genre of shitty-but-heartfelt 80's teen comedies.

• Like 1

This movie, the already-mentioned Tomboy in this forum, Soul Man, Peggy Sue Got Married, Trading Places, even Parts of Revenge of the Nerds... there were a lot of 80s comedies involving people disguising themselves and taking on opposite gender/racial/social roles in order to commit various misdeeds or to right a personal slight. I just wonder if this was something indicative of the social mores of the time or if I'm just reading too much into it. I know that Amanda Bynes movie where she dressed as a boy exists, but it seems these types of movies were more prevalent in the 1980s.

• Like 1

This movie, the already-mentioned Tomboy in this forum, Soul Man, Peggy Sue Got Married, Trading Places, even Parts of Revenge of the Nerds... there were a lot of 80s comedies involving people disguising themselves and taking on opposite gender/racial/social roles in order to commit various misdeeds or to right a personal slight. I just wonder if this was something indicative of the social mores of the time or if I'm just reading too much into it. I know that Amanda Bynes movie where she dressed as a boy exists, but it seems these types of movies were more prevalent in the 1980s.

Don't forget Tootsie.

• Like 2

Wow, i forgot about this film. I remember seeing it on cable tv years ago as it ran forever.

looking at the trailer on youtube, I didn't know at that Sherilyn Fenn from twin peaks was in this. it's kind of fun spot a star you didn't know at the time.

Just a note (since I guess I'm the resident "TOMBOY" salesperson here), "TOMBOY" isn't a gender-swap or pretending-to-be-something-else comedy. The main character is a hot girl who just happens to be good at fixing/driving cars/bikes. She doesn't really go through some GREASE/OUTSIDERS-esque transformation from a greaser to a soc through the course of the movie. It's empirically a bad movie and thus it's hard to pin down what journey the protagonist really takes or what the movie's trying to say beyond, perhaps, "Be true to yourself and everything will eventually work out."

But what all these 80s movies do have in common is class division. Friction between different social classes. Gender, haves and have-nots, the cool and the uncool.

Also, I watched the shit out of JUST ONE OF THE GUYS growing up and -- for years in my memory, I thought it starred a young Sandra Bullock. Turns out it's Joyce Hyser who filled my pre-adolescent fantasies.

• Like 1

Even as a wee one I knew there were plot holes in this cinematic masterpiece, but it remains one of my favorites regardless.

I think they've really overlooked the entire genre of shitty-but-heartfelt 80's teen comedies.

I love this movie so much! I loved Joyce Hyser as Terry. The story was great. She is a writer & she felt her article was passed over for that internship because she was female. Her plan to submit it again as a male student from another school makes sense on paper. Everything about this movie hits me in the heart! I own it and still can never turn the channel when its on tv.

The main thing I remember about this movie is when the star ripped open her shirt to show everyone that, yep, she was indeed a chick. It happened so suddenly, my parents didn't even have a chance to say "Nate, cover your eyes" before I got to see some boobage.

This movie will always have a place in my heart because of that.

• Like 1

Not to mention the main character is super hot as a guy.

Yes?

Anybody?

What?

Well! It looks like you and I share an attraction to the heroine. Perhaps we should get together sometime for a hamburger and a chocolate malt with two straws.

Not to mention the main character is super hot as a guy.

Yes?

Anybody?

What?

I absolutely agree!

this movie and Martha Plimpton in Goonies ruined me as a kid. Now I've grown up to be super attracted to androgynous women with short hair and attitudes and I'm doomed to accidentally hit on lesbians forever.

• Like 2

No mention of William Zabka in another nuanced take on a high school bully, and the fact that Joyce had like 1000% more chemistry with him than that wet blanket who was supposed to be her romantic lead. Or the fact that she ends up looking like Ralph Macchio after her transformation into a boy.

No mention of William Zabka in another nuanced take on a high school bully, and the fact that Joyce had like 1000% more chemistry with him than that wet blanket who was supposed to be her romantic lead. Or the fact that she ends up looking like Ralph Macchio after her transformation into a boy.

Oh yeah...they have to do this movie...for all the reasons you just mentioned!

The main thing I remember about this movie is when the star ripped open her shirt to show everyone that, yep, she was indeed a chick. It happened so suddenly, my parents didn't even have a chance to say "Nate, cover your eyes" before I got to see some boobage.

This movie will always have a place in my heart because of that.

I remember this being a very early instance of seeing tits for me as well. I'll always have a soft spot in my hard spot for this one.

I'm going to pop in here because this is one of those movies I should not have watched as a kid but did. It was on cable all of the time (this and Once Bitten)

Side note besides William Zabka from the Karate Kid, it also had several other 80's B actors; Clayton Rohner and Deborah Goodrich - who were both in April Fool's Day (1986) a movie that should also be covered here.

When I got a bit older I realized it was basically a modern take on Twelth Night

And finally our heroine Joyce Hester was in the music video for Dream About You which is one of the theme songs from Streets of Fire a movie covered by HDTGM.

• Like 1

An 80's cheese classic and now almost feminist like movie. lol I'm surprised a studio hasn't tried to reboot this yet.

An 80's cheese classic and now almost feminist like movie. lol I'm surprised a studio hasn't tried to reboot this yet.

They did. It was called She's The Man and starred Amanda Bynes

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this