🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rattrap007

Man's Best Friend (1993)

Saw the thread for Monkey Shines and made me think of another 90s killer animal movie. Man's Best Friend (1993). Stars Lance Hendrickson and Ally Sheedy.

Ally Sheedy plays a reporter who sneaks into an animal research facility for an investigative report and finds a dog named Max. It seems friendly and she escapes with it so she can do more reporting on the animal experimentation. The dog is genetically altered and is a killer.

It is also famous for one hilarious scene:

Yup the dog chases the cat, climbs a tree after it and eats it whole. Also the movie is on youtube.

I recall reading on a bad movie website that this movie acts as though the scientist who did the experimentation is the bad guy responsible for all the bad things in the movie, and punishes him accordingly... except that Ally Sheedy's character is the one who let the dog loose. She, of course, receives no such comeuppance.

• Like 2

I just re-watched this and it needs to be done for the show. Not only is there a dog swallowing a cat whole, the same dog pisses acid on both a hydrant and a man's face, camouflages itself like a Predator, basically rapes another dog, and seemingly at times tries to bang Ally Sheedy. Henriksen's character states very nonchalantly that he did all sorts of illegal testing on this dog as to make them a perfect guard dog or some such nonsense, but the dog has to be on a steady stream of medications to keep it in check. There is also a horrifying scene where a junkyard owner hits the dog in the back of the head with the shovel for the slightest issue, and in reality the dog's head should have been caved in but it just shakes it off like the goddamn Terminator.

I recall reading on a bad movie website that this movie acts as though the scientist who did the experimentation is the bad guy responsible for all the bad things in the movie, and punishes him accordingly... except that Ally Sheedy's character is the one who let the dog loose. She, of course, receives no such comeuppance.

To be fair, he did also murder a woman.

Whats also weird about this movie is that the cover leads you to believe that Lance is the hero of the movie hunting down the evil dog with his laser scoped future pistol.

mansbest-friend-movie-poster_zpsfyd1jc7p.jpg

• Like 1

Bump for this movie which I guarentee was sold to studio executives as "Cujo meets Terminator".

I think that's what the Cujo remake is actually going to be based on early plot details that have been released.

Canine Unit Joint Operations? Yea I suppose that's a logical direction to head in

Why not just remake this?

Sign in to follow this