🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 83.5 — Minisode 83.5

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all your awesome well wishes. You are all the best listeners in the entire podcast world.

I know 99.9% of you totally get where we are coming from but I just want to be clear the cut down in episodes is a temporary thing...We're currently trying to bank a bunch beforehand. Hopefully we'll be back to normal soon but since we don't know exactly when we are having the kid (Could come early, late, or right on time) We want to cover our bases and not go unexpectedly dark, so we are starting this a pre-emptive measure. Basically this is our attempt to deliver the show consistently and the way we want to do it, with the 3 of us. So thanks for being understanding and I guarantee that we'll be doing some cool content during this period, including NEW episodes.

But now I will share the only negative reaction I got this news and it really made me laugh.

Name:

Anonymous Anonymous

Message Body:

As someone who use to donate monthly to this podcast, and support it by signing up for the "advertisements" listed on the website I regret to say I will no longer be doing this. With the announcement that the shows will be cut back because they are having a child almost seems like a slap in the face of the fans. Is it hard to hire a baby sitter for an hour or two? As they are both actors they will already have to more then likely hire a nanny as I doubt they'll be bringing their child on set with them when they film their TV series, or do other engaging things as actors. This is the equivalent to someone having a child and telling their boss their going to cut their hours down by half, how much of an asset is that person to their job now? I LOVED this podcast, it was easily one of the best podcasts out there. But only having a single podcast(mini episodes don't count since its just ad's and reading non sense questions off of Facebook) is death to any podcast, and shows a lack

of interest of that podcast. It's one thing to have it be a hobby of yours, but if that was the case there wouldn't be advertising non stop, and merchandise for sale. I'm all for being compensated for talent and time, don't get me wrong on that. But either you're in, or you're out, and it seems like they have one foot in and one foot out. Great they might be starting a new podcast! But we don't want a new podcast, we like HDTGM, and the format offered. This just seems like some horrible idea of offering something that'll stop fans from jumping ship. It just doesn't seem worth it paying monthly for something that's being cut in half, and I doubt I'm the only one feeling this way. Thanks for the hours of entertainment, but in this day and age when there's thousands of quality podcasts, you need to give it %100 not %50.

I don't even want to address the concerns above but I will because I'm bored and the fact the listener didn't sign his/her name means I can't address them directly.

1.) Re: "Telling their boss they are going to cut their hours down by 1/2" - I guess this person has never heard of maternity leave?

2.) Re: "Mini's don't count" -- SAD FACE EMOTICON -- Also I think the ratio of ads to content in those is pretty light, about 1 minute of pre-roll and about 30 minutes of commercial free time. THat's better than JackFM!

3.) Re: New Podcast -- Nothing is replacing HDTGM but we've talked in the past about trying something along the lines of the guest-less episodes of Nerdist and thought this could be a fun thing to try. If we all took that advice to stick with one format than you'd never get cool spin-off shows like Analyze Phish, Dead Authors Podcast, James Bonding, and basically Kevin Smith's whole network)

4.) 100% vs 50% -- My response is take your own advice if you want to write a dicky email sign it with your actual email don't be a 50% dick be a 100% one.

Anyway..Let HULKMANIA begin!

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, fuck that guy, I hope "Butterfinger" rapes him. Paul, am I unhappy about perhaps having less episodes of HDTGM, of course, but I understand 100% and wish nothing but the best for you and June.

You have given us so much and while there are those who may take it for granted, I think the majority of the forums are stoked that "Hudson" (if its a boy), "Barb Wire" (if its a girl), or "Angela" (if its a boygirl) will soon be entering this world. Congratulations and keep being awesome

PS: Holy shit, I just realized you could name Zouks the "Godfather" and have an amazing movie idea

• Like 1

Paul, I think you may have answered this a few minisodes ago, but what, exactly, is a baby?

• Like 6

anonymous is some dicknose.

1904264_625156630883830_1401704936_n.jpg

have a look at this.

https://docs.google....nid=0OnnGbsSVck

ive been keeping track of the time ive spent watching all the movies and listening to all the eps and mini-eps. take a look at the totals at the end of the page. we have passed the 10 day mark people. so id just like to thank June, Paul, Jason and all the crew at earwolf for all the hard work they put in and all the laughs ive had.

i cant wait for all the madness that is sure to follow in the next 10 days

cheers guys

As a guy who got giddy when his name was mentioned on one, I wanna assure you, Paul: Mini-sodes DO count!

But I also want to say, I came to Earwolf because of HDTGM: I knew Paul from stuff like Best Week Ever, and I already had a love for watching/discussing terrible movies. So this show was right up my alley. Listened to every episode of HDTGM, then got adventurous, listened to Mantzoukas on an episode of CBB. Fell in love with that show and tried other stuff, that I now also love. Now I'm showing up almost every day (and sometimes more than once a day) to listen to something.

So thanks, Paul. And best of luck to you and June.

• Like 1

Congratulations to you both, June and Paul. And that "fan" email is really delusional and narcissistic. Best not to give those sort of folks the attention/validation they are looking for.

If there is a longer HDTGM hiatus, maybe a Limabugh-style, solo Mantzoukas rant-cast would fill the void.

Putting your child ahead of your podcast? Typical Hollywood elitism.

Those Eckhart Tolle books aren't going to read themselves to the little bun in the oven.

Congratulations on your pregnancy June... and Paul!

Maybe "Uncle" Jason can step up and babysit some times ;)

You said that you are recording episodes for later... May I suggest the raunchy Dane Cook/Jessica Alba 2007 comedy "Good Luck Chuck"? (I didn't wait for a response but I suggested it anyway...)

It is as raunchy and inappropriate as "The Love Guru" is bonkers and crazy AND... Again the beautiful Jessica Alba plays a girl who is unlucky at love... "Good Luck Chuck" is made for this podcast, just the opening scene where Chuck is a kid at a party and they are playing "7 minutes in heaven" is upsetting to say the least, also theres a "Total Recall" reference... Kinda

Again congratulations on the baby...

-Max(imilian-OH) Ruocco R.

Congrats Paul & June! Don't worry about the baby's exposure to bad movies, I was exposed to terrible movies right out of the womb thanks to my mom, and I turned out just fine. Just fine. JUST FINE.

• Like 4

Hey, on the bright side, longer intervals between episodes could give us a chance to check out the source material before we see the movies. I mean, don't you wish that you had read "Fair Game" before you saw "Cobra," and don't you wish that you had read "Fair Game" reissued as "Cobra" by Sylvester Stallone before you saw "Fair Game?" Now we can read the books, play the video games, check out the comic books, see the prequels, read the DSM, or study up on tornadoes, gorillas, and street fighting, so that we are ready to hate these movies on every possible level. I, for one, applaud this baby for giving us more time to do our homework. If Paul and June's life is going to become more complex and more meaningful, let's compensate by making our lives as one dimensional and meaningless as we can. Who's with me?!?!

• Like 3

Asshattery is hilarous. This podcast has given me more joy over the years than I have any right to ask for, especially considering that I don't pay for it. If Paul et all wanted to kill the show altogether, it would be wll within their rights to and I would totally understand and be okay with it. I'd be sad as fuck, but I'd be okay. I ain't puttin baby in the corner.

• Like 3

Asshattery is hilarous. This podcast has given me more joy over the years than I have any right to ask for, especially considering that I don't pay for it. If Paul et all wanted to kill the show altogether, it would be wll within their rights to and I would totally understand and be okay with it. I'd be sad as fuck, but I'd be okay. I ain't puttin baby in the corner.

Engrave this on something. It's perfect.

This is such a bad idea. The introduction of a baby character in any production is always a miscalculation.

As people are worried that the baby might somehow distract from your more pressing podcasting priorities, perhaps you could start a running gag where your episodes are occasionally interrupted with a 90 second bit with a guest cameo as Obnoxious Baby.

Mantzoukas: "--Literally! And then, are we to think...are we to think...are.. I'm sorry, but WTF is that noise?"

Paul: "I thought I was the only one hearing that!"

June: "..."

Mantzoukas: "This is unbelievable. Is it that freakin' guy again?"

June: "...our baby?"

Paul: "Hang on, I think I know what this is. Avery Murphybrown Scheer-Raphael?! Is that you buddy?"

Obnoxious Baby: "Goo-goo-guilty as charged MF'ers! I'm all collicky! Does this look like a rash?! What's that stank?! I'm just kidding, it's clearly me."

First of all, thank you for all those podcasts and the best of luck in this new chapter of your life.

I love this podcast, so I'm obviously a little bit disappointed by the reduced schedule, but I get it. There is multiple bad movie reviews podcast and I listen to this one because of the cast. If I have to choose, I choose a lack of quantity instead of a lack of quality.

About the next episode, I can't tell if I'm more angry that I'll have to watch No Holds Barred, or more ashamed that I'll have to watch it... again. For once, I am happy that we keep the discussion around the movie so I won't have to rewatch Zeus wrestling in the WWF.

About the letter... this is one case where going anonymous really hurts the argument. "I used to do this and this for the podcast, but there is no way for you to know". I also like the knee-jerk reaction. This is someone who love the podcast enough to have a financial investment in keeping it going, yet, the reduced schedule is enough to completely quit the podcast. For some people, it's all or nothing I suppose.

And on this.

It's time to Rip'em!

Now that Paul and June are having a baby (mazel tov!), does that mean a Baby Geniuses episode of HDTGM isn't far behind?

• Like 1

Name:

Anonymous Anonymous

Message Body:

As someone who use to donate monthly to this podcast, and support it by signing up for the "advertisements" listed on the website I regret to say I will no longer be doing this. With the announcement that the shows will be cut back because they are having a child almost seems like a slap in the face of the fans. Is it hard to hire a baby sitter for an hour or two? As they are both actors they will already have to more then likely hire a nanny as I doubt they'll be bringing their child on set with them when they film their TV series, or do other engaging things as actors. This is the equivalent to someone having a child and telling their boss their going to cut their hours down by half, how much of an asset is that person to their job now? I LOVED this podcast, it was easily one of the best podcasts out there. But only having a single podcast(mini episodes don't count since its just ad's and reading non sense questions off of Facebook) is death to any podcast, and shows a lack

of interest of that podcast. It's one thing to have it be a hobby of yours, but if that was the case there wouldn't be advertising non stop, and merchandise for sale. I'm all for being compensated for talent and time, don't get me wrong on that. But either you're in, or you're out, and it seems like they have one foot in and one foot out. Great they might be starting a new podcast! But we don't want a new podcast, we like HDTGM, and the format offered. This just seems like some horrible idea of offering something that'll stop fans from jumping ship. It just doesn't seem worth it paying monthly for something that's being cut in half, and I doubt I'm the only one feeling this way. Thanks for the hours of entertainment, but in this day and age when there's thousands of quality podcasts, you need to give it %100 not %50.

FIVE STARS!

• Like 3

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the great episodes and for thinking of us while you're embarking on a life-changing adventure. Best wishes on the new cast member and I hope Jason doesn't have to babysit too often.

• Like 1

Saw this pop up today...

"There are plans for a No Holds Barred Blu-Ray featuring the film and several Zeus matches as extras. (PWI)"

He only had a handful of WWF matches, I think. I believe he debuted on a Saturday Night's Main Event around the time when the movie opened, tagged with Savage at Summerslam, did something at Survivor Series, and then tagged with Savage again in a cage match against Hogan and Brutus Beefcake. I don't remember if he EVER had a singles match, as he had all the agility of a post-accident Christopher Reeve and needed to be protected, but if he did, it probably involved him murdering Tugboat or Hacksaw Jim Duggan or something. I hope SO fuckin' hard that his Z-Gangster stuff from WCW is included. I think he was part of the Dungeon of Doom, which was a group of like 15 guys, many of whom were Hogan cronies, who all got to lose to him all over again, all at once.

Having ordered it as a kid, I know that there was a No Holds Barred movie/match combo pay-per-view, which was the movie (I don't know if it ran in theaters before that or not) and then a match between Hogan (not in character from the movie) and Zeus (who wrestled there and beyond as his movie character).

Having ordered it as a kid, I know that there was a No Holds Barred movie/match combo pay-per-view, which was the movie (I don't know if it ran in theaters before that or not) and then a match between Hogan (not in character from the movie) and Zeus (who wrestled there and beyond as his movie character).

Yeah, it aired right around Christmas, and the match had been taped at a house show or something. I didn't see it until it popped up on like WWF Supertape 2 or something. My Blockbuster always got the old Coliseum Home Video releases. Jeez, you could have caved someone's skull in with Wrestlemania IV, which was two full tapes. Man, that thing was a brick. The No Holds Barred period was so weird, because the movie treated wrestling like it was totally real, except for when it wasn't, but then it was again, and then on TV Zeus attacked Hogan, but he'd died, but not really, and *headexplode*

So does anyone want to talk No Holds Barred briefly? I watched it over the weekend. It's crazy how it's barely even a movie, the story is so threadbare. Basically Ripp is an awesome dude who wrestles for unspecified children's charities, but he's also an total perv who can't stop creeping on the female love interest. She has no personality and only exists to get slapped around and almost raped. A good half of the film is just Zeus yelling and grimacing. Other observations:

• This was an era where "evil television executive" was still a totally legit movie villian.
  • The bar where they find Zeus is straight out of Roadhouse.
  • Zeus' eyebrows, er, monobrow. Interesting choice.
  • "Battle Of The Tough Guys" is possibly the least badass name for a fighting competition ever.
  • Zeus should actually be in jail for multiple accounts of assault and attempted manslaughter.
  • Weird hotel scene where you're supposed to think Ripp is masturbating in bed (right?)
  • The actual wrestling in the finale is pretty fucking boring and way too drawn out.
  • Evil network guy is so upset during the Ripp/Zeus fight that he starts ruining studio equipment. He does it in the most completely half-assed manner, just sort of unplugging stuff and hitting monitors.
  • Ripp apparently kills Zeus. The evil tv guy is electrocuted to death. AND THE CROWD ERUPTS INTO APPLAUSE.

This was a doozy.

So does anyone want to talk No Holds Barred briefly? I watched it over the weekend. It's crazy how it's barely even a movie, the story is so threadbare. Basically Ripp is an awesome dude who wrestles for unspecified children's charities, but he's also an total perv who can't stop creeping on the female love interest. She has no personality and only exists to get slapped around and almost raped. A good half of the film is just Zeus yelling and grimacing. Other observations:

• This was an era where "evil television executive" was still a totally legit movie villian.
  • "Battle Of The Tough Guys" is possibly the least badass name for a fighting competition ever.
  • Zeus should actually be in jail for multiple accounts of assault and attempted manslaughter.
  • Weird hotel scene where you're supposed to think Ripp is masturbating in bed (right?)
  • The actual wrestling in the finale is pretty fucking boring and way too drawn out.
  • Evil network guy is so upset during the Ripp/Zeus fight that he starts ruining studio equipment. He does it in the most completely half-assed manner, just sort of unplugging stuff and hitting monitors.
  • Ripp apparently kills Zeus. The evil tv guy is electrocuted to death. AND THE CROWD ERUPTS INTO APPLAUSE.

This was a doozy.

It's been forever since I've seen this, so I might not remember if they addressed it, but does the audience know about any of the backstage or behind the scenes shenanigans at ALL to know to be happy when an otherwise anonymous TV executive (not to mention the wrestler) are MURDERED in front of them?

This was a doozy.

You will be pleased with the episode

• Like 1

I'm surprised Kurt Fuller didn't give himself a stroke. He is literally just yelling the whole movie.

How can Hulk Hogan - a guy who for better or worse became a huge star acting as a character in the WWF - deliver his lines this badly? It was straight-up embarrassing, and gave me a new appreciation for Steven Seagal (who was like De Niro in comparison). The bar waitress delivers her hackneyed lines better than Hogan!

And poor David Paymer. Poor, poor David Paymer.

Sign in to follow this