🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 81 — SLEDGE HAMMER!

Sledge Hammer! & Bullet in the Face creator Alan Spencer joins Jake this week to talk about how he went from being a latchkey kid who loved TV to becoming one of the youngest writers for TV around the age of fifteen. They’ll also chat about how Marty Feldman took Alan under his wing after wandering onto the set of Young Frankenstein, a seminal moment in Alan & Andy Kaufman’s friendship, and how Alan got to work with his childhood hero Don Adams. As always, check out all the videos from this episode are over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles! If you’re in Los Angeles, come join Jake as he presents a midnight 35mm screening of Ladies and Gentleman: The Fabulous Stains on Friday, April 4th at Cinefamily! Go to www.cinefamily.org for tickets.

• Like 3

This was one of the best episodes you have ever done Jake. I actually jotted down some quotes that he dropped for future use. This was just fascinating.

• Like 5

It took me a day to carve out time for this, but it was worth the wait. Really interesting look into the development process.

• Like 2

Sledge Hammer is so great.

Sledge: (in Swedish) "Ladies, grab your clothes and get in the john"

Criminal (surprised): You spoke perfect Swedish!

Sledge: Those are the only words I know.

Thanks for letting me know Bullet in the Face is on DVD too, definitely going to pick that up. Another excellent episode.

Good grief, this episode was engrossing and entertaining all the way through. I loved the Mel Brooks and Marty Feldman stories, not to mention the spot-on Andy impression from Alan Spencer. The insights into TV network ineptitude were also great. Jake has this ability to get interesting people to open up and the conversation makes them even more interesting to me than when the podcast began. I get all this FOR FREE. Amazing.

• Like 5

I am really enjoying these interview/retrospective episodes. This show really needs to be on Comedy Central or something like Funny or Die at the least. Seriously. I'll give Chris Hardwick a handjob if need be.

Sledgehammer! I've never met anyone else who watched the show; it wasn't on for very long (two seasons?) and I never saw it in syndication. I was maybe around 9 years old when it aired and my dad wouldn't let us watch it; he was a cop with no sense of humor, and thought the show was making fun of police (duh). Having recently seen the dvds, it's amazing how well it holds up. The writing is really good and the lead actor pulls that role off like no one's business. Good satire is incredibly rare on tv, especially in the 1980s on the networks. And that bit about Marty Feldman was really sweet. Hat's off to you, Jake.

This show really needs to be on Comedy Central or something like Funny or Die at the least.

I think I want to keep this show a podcast, just because the conversations stay more intimate when it's audio only.

HOWEVER - I just started writing full-time at Funny Or Die, so I will do some stuff there very soon!

• Like 5

[/size]

I think I want to keep this show a podcast, just because the conversations stay more intimate when it's audio only.

HOWEVER - I just started writing full-time at Funny Or Die, so I will do some stuff there very soon!

Congrats on the gig Jake!

[/size]

I have to agree with this, at least for the show in this form. For me personally, part of the fun of the Fogelnest Files is the extra effort it takes to watch the videos ahead of time or along with the podcast in order to fully enjoy it. I get to react to the videos along with the guest and the host, but because it's a podcast, it feels much more curated, personal, and funny.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I was amazed that Sledge Hammer! recevied a second season. I mean the ending of the first was incredible and impossible to continue from; he blew up the fucking city! And yet they did it.

Great episode. Thanks for having Alan Spencer on. I've met him a few times....total ace guy.

I love the Hollywood insider stories the bet. More of these (as well as Network, & Adam McKay) type episodes, please. I love when you have a topc and the clips help flesh out the specific topic an dthe guest is someone with intimate knowledge of that specific event or period of time.

Thanks for the great show, Jake.