🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 27 — Why You Don’t Know What You Look Like

Have you ever wondered why everyone on Earth knew how crazy post-surgery Michael Jackson looked except Michael Jackson? If you’ve ever come into work with a terrible pimple or smudged makeup (that made you look like a clown) and been shocked when no one else noticed, you already know the world sees you differently than you see you. Cracked editors Jack O’Brien, Tom Reimann and Jason Pargin (aka David Wong) talk about why that is, and how deep down we’re all hardwired for narcissism.

From the woman who won’t go outside without makeup to the antisocial nerd who looks at something as simple as a “party” with unqualified dread, we’re all obsessed with creating an image -- and that image changes who we are. People who take Botox injections actually feel less emotion! The “Superman Pose” makes you more confident! Biker gangs dress for the part, and then start acting like it. For more ‘”Douchebag Yoga” tips and a look at how much style changes substance, throw on your headphones and click play above.

It's a real shame the forums are so dead on this show. Cracked is one of the best new podcasts of the last year or so, and deserves a lot of love. Considering the smart topics and thoughtful discussion, you'd think there'd be lots to discuss here. Admittedly, I'm not help... listening to these things at 1AM when I am usually still baked and getting ready to sleep doesn't exactly help me think of things to say. Especially since it's a smart podcast, popping in and being like "You guys are awesome!" just seems lame.

Anyway, great podcast. Keep it up guys. You guys are awesome! I've listened to every episode and plan to continue to do so as long as they keep coming out.

It's a real shame the forums are so dead on this show. Cracked is one of the best new podcasts of the last year or so, and deserves a lot of love. Considering the smart topics and thoughtful discussion, you'd think there'd be lots to discuss here. Admittedly, I'm not help... listening to these things at 1AM when I am usually still baked and getting ready to sleep doesn't exactly help me think of things to say. Especially since it's a smart podcast, popping in and being like "You guys are awesome!" just seems lame.

Anyway, great podcast. Keep it up guys. You guys are awesome! I've listened to every episode and plan to continue to do so as long as they keep coming out.

Join the Hollywood Handbook forum if you're looking for a good time ;)

• Like 1

It's honestly become the highlight to my Mondays. It's become a ritual to listen to it on my way to work.

i agree, and this episode was one of my favorite so far, i always like it better when they explore more scientific type things like this, filtering it through their pop culture lense, then when they just do straight pop culture episodes

• Like 1

There were a lot of generalizations about tattoos, and I think that the argument would have been different if one person had even 1. I'm not saying that many people get them because of what other people think, but it isn't very scientific to say that this is the case for every of the tens of thousands of people with tattoos these days.

There were a lot of generalizations about tattoos, and I think that the argument would have been different if one person had even 1. I'm not saying that many people get them because of what other people think, but it isn't very scientific to say that this is the case for every of the tens of thousands of people with tattoos these days.

I think it depends on the tattoo. If you have barbed wire/skull or something on your face and neck, it's not THAT bad to make a generalization about that person.

I think it depends on the tattoo. If you have barbed wire/skull or something on your face and neck, it's not THAT bad to make a generalization about that person.

True, but so few of the people getting tattoos are doing things like that. I feel like they were loosely talking about hipsters without saying it, but I think that their conclusion was really narrow. Even the House example was only to validate how stupid tattoos are, but not all people get them for other people to see, and some people genuinely like that type of artwork.

I guess I just hate the moments when they deviate from facts to talk about personal opinions because it makes them sound dumb... like Jack talking about how Dolly Parton looks like the weirdest person alive now as if that had to be true... Joan Rivers?

Those moments annoy me and take away from all the cool things that they present.

Just wanted to expand a bit about how people hate/disbelieve the sound of their own voice. There is the narcissism or a person's strong belief that they should sound a certain way.

Part of that experience is only in a person's head. Really, physically, in the person's head. The sound waves come up through your throat and mouth, pass through the palate, resonate the bones of your skull, and reach your inner ear in a distinctly different way than external sound. Plus, sound waves are still escaping through your face hole and making it back to your ears at the same time, adding another layer to how your voice sounds to you.

Plug your ears with your finger and say a few things, plugging and unplugging as you go. Kind of weird, right?