🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
BaltazarCarmichael

No Hold Barred Corrections and Omissions

I'm surprised that there is not yet a corrections and omissions up for No Holds Barred. Did I somehow miss it? Here are the things I would like to point out.

-The reason Hulk is not called by his normal stage name is probably because Marvel Comics has rights to the use of "Hulk" in most contexts. My understanding is there is a business arrangement that dictates under what circumstances Hulk Hogan can be called by this name, and presumably as the lead character in the movie is not one of those situations.

-To answer Jason's question, Hogan was initially a bad guy until he appeared in Rocky III, after which he became the familiar Hulk Hogan we all know. In the late 90's, he again became bad after starting a wrestling group called the NWO.

-As an aside, after No Holds Barred, Zeus actually wrestled for the WWF for a while. The storyline was essentially that he had let his movie rivalry with Hogan go to his head and was there to challenge Hogan. Much later, in WCW, they brought him back to confront Hogan as some sort of "ghost from the past", but they could not use the name Zeus, so they called him Big Z Z-Gangsta [thank you Smigg]. Of course, many fans probably did not know who he was because WCW could not even mention that this was some guy from an obscure movie Hogan was in, as that would have probably resulted in a lawsuit.

EDIT: And I completely forgot to mention; during the Podcast, there was repeated questioning of why certain movie-making decisions were not made which would have advanced the idea that pro wrestling is real. It needs to be pointed out that one of Vince McMahon's "innovations" was to openly admit that pro wrestling is not real. That's why the WWF/WWE refers to its product as sports entertainment.

• Like 1

Correction: June mentioned Sam's book of choice when Randy is in the hospital. I can confirm it reads "Men You Can Love". I noticed that before she said anything. She is right on the money.

Omission: Also that has to be the slowest elevator in the world in the WTN TV headquarters. Sam escapes and manages to have the doors close before the goons and guards reach her. She rides down several floors and the doors open and they are waiting for her and they are not even winded!

Omission: During the "Teeny Weenie" Scene when the huge guy (Neanderthal I believe) walks out of the bathroom, he has a long tail of TP sticking out the back of his pants

Note: Is it just me or did Fuller's blackmail of holding Sam hostage basically depended on her being the last one off the elevator so they can just grab her. You got Randy and his buddy get off then she starts to follow. The two guards basically grab her as she starts to exit and quickly get the elevator to go to the holding office. What if she went first? Do they kidnap all three? Abort the plan?

Note: I think the Sports for Kids and Battle of the Tough Guys were place holder names meant to be changed later, but never did or simply forgot to. Buzz Dixon wrote the 1980s GI Joe cartoon movie and used a place holder name that ended up being used (Cobra-La). He mentions he wishes he could go back and use Granny's Body Factory instead.

Also, Paul the number after my name is double O Seven like James Bond..

Note: I think the Sports for Kids and Battle of the Tough Guys were place holder names meant to be changed later, but never did or simply forgot to. Buzz Dixon wrote the 1980s GI Joe cartoon movie and used a place holder name that ended up being used (Cobra-La). He mentions he wishes he could go back and use Granny's Body Factory instead.

I actually think "Rip" was a placeholder name as well, or at least total laziness.. A play on Hogan's shtick of ripping shirts when he came to the ring..

I think the only way for No Hold's Barred to make sense is if we see the movie itself as a placeholder for a better movie that never happened. I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1

I think the only way for No Hold's Barred to make sense is if we see the movie itself as a placeholder for a better movie that never happened. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Perhaps Hogan was a placeholder for someone better Like Macho Man Randy Savage or Roddy Piper..

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow.

Two things:

1. Maybe too late to mention, but this movie is streaming for free on Hulu Plus.

2.The first time Brell and Ordway and David Paymer go to the Hairy Dudes Fighting or Kick My Teeth Out or Lumberjack Squabble or whatever it's called, there's a small man hanging from the ceiling in a cage. I looked in the credits and I couldn't find a credit for Little Man in Cage, and so maybe I'm wrong, but damn if he doesn't look like Peter Dinklage.

-The reason Hulk is not called by his normal stage name is probably because Marvel Comics has rights to the use of "Hulk" in most contexts. My understanding is there is a business arrangement that dictates under what circumstances Hulk Hogan can be called by this name, and presumably as the lead character in the movie is not one of those situations.

That's correct. If you watched the WWF show credits in the 1980s and 1990s (good lord, why did I?), there was always a notice that "Hulk" was a trademark of Marvel Comics.

Tony

Here's something I didn't realize until June said that the limo driver who dookied his pants looked like he was wearing a wig. I don't think it was to conceal the actor's identity. I think the actor was made up to look like RICHARD BELZER.

Belzer.jpg

Why? In 1985, Belzer was hosting a TV show called "Hot Properties," and there was one particular episode that year that featured Mr. T and Hulk Hogan promoting the very first Wrestlemania. There's some tension. He doesn't like them, they don't like him, and at one point Belzer urges Hogan to demonstrate some wrestling moves. Hogan put Belzer in a sleeper hold, rendering him unconscious, then dropped him to the floor, splitting the back of his head open. Belzer sued Hogan and the WWF and settled out of court for an amount in the range of 6 to 7 figures. I think Hogan and McMahon were a little bitter.

The Incident:

Further reading:

http://www.cracked.c...oo-real_p2.html

I had never heard of the incident before buying Belzer's standup comedy album Another Lone Nut, where he recounts the night's events and the aftermath in hilarious fashion ("I've got a house in France, so it all worked out.").

• Like 4

Here's something I didn't realize until June said that the limo driver who dookied his pants looked like he was wearing a wig. I don't think it was to conceal the actor's identity. I think the actor was made up to look like RICHARD BELZER.

Belzer.jpg

Why? In 1985, Belzer was hosting a TV show called "Hot Properties," and there was one particular episode that year that featured Mr. T and Hulk Hogan promoting the very first Wrestlemania. There's some tension. He doesn't like them, they don't like him, and at one point Belzer urges Hogan to demonstrate some wrestling moves. Hogan put Belzer in a sleeper hold, rendering him unconscious, then dropped him to the floor, splitting the back of his head open. Belzer sued Hogan and the WWF and settled out of court for an amount in the range of 6 to 7 figures. I think Hogan and McMahon were a little bitter.

The Incident:

Further reading:

http://www.cracked.c...oo-real_p2.html

I had never heard of the incident before buying Belzer's standup comedy album Another Lone Nut, where he recounts the night's events and the aftermath in hilarious fashion ("I've got a house in France, so it all worked out.").

This is a fascinatingly bizarre incident, and you could probably fill several podcasts focusing on the crazy criss-crossings of Blezer's career. At first I didn't think one could give Hogan and McMahan the credit of forethought in order to do this. Look at the rest of the film; it's clear nothing was thought about for longer than five minutes. But actually, I can definitely imagine Hogan on set being like, "Hey Brother! Let's make you up to look like that TV twerp I knocked out that one time! He's a prick! Hey everyone, isn't that a great idea? Get Jimmy Hart over here, we'll just steal his sunglasses and then slap a wig on you, Brother." Yeah, sure Terry.

• Like 2

I think the first error in the movie is when Jesse "The Cleopatra" Ventura exclaims "HE'S DID IT AGAIN!" after Hulkster starts whooping Dan-Aykroyd-with-eyeliner's ass. Seriously? It's voiceover

Did anyone notice that Zeus' only strategy when dealing with someone wielding a weapon (lug wrench or steel pipe) is to choke them with it?

• Like 1

I think the first error in the movie is when Jesse "The Cleopatra" Ventura exclaims "HE'S DID IT AGAIN!" after Hulkster starts whooping Dan-Aykroyd-with-eyeliner's ass. Seriously? It's voiceover

Did anyone notice that Zeus' only strategy when dealing with someone wielding a weapon (lug wrench or steel pipe) is to choke them with it?

Hogan's opponent in that first match? None other than Bill Eadie, who was also in the WWF at the time as Ax of the tag team Demolition.

demos.jpg

So, I was briefly browsing the Wikipedia page of Tiny Lister (Zeus), and apparently he plead guilty to mortgage fraud in 2012 for his role in some financial scandal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Lister,_Jr.#Personal_life

Here's a bit more in a newspaper, just so we can be more certain this is not some weird Wikipedia hoax: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-31/news/la-fi-mo-actor-tommy-tiny-lister-in-big-trouble-with-feds-20120831_1_mortgage-fraud-scheme-that-cost-banks-home-equity-lines.

Sorry, Jason. Wrestling geek here.

1. Tiny "Zeus" Lister has wrestled more than 3 times in his career. In fact, he was even used on WWF TV to build up the PPV sales of No Holds Barred, appearing on syndicated TV destroying enhancement talent. As noted before, this was to set up an angle where Zeus was upset that he lost in the movie and was coming back to get revenge on Hulk Hogan. He formed an alliance with Randy Savage to battle Hogan and Brutus Beefcake at Summerslam 1989, then Zeus went on to team with the Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Team against Hulk Hogan's Hulkamaniacs at Survivor Series, and then they did a rematch of the Summerslam match that also included the No Holds Barred movie as a PPV in December. By all accounts, the movie is a million times better than the match. Later, Zeus would wrestle Abdullah the Butcher in Puerto Rico in a match that has to be seen to be believed, as Zeus is to wrestling as Nick Cage is to How Did This Get Made.

2. Bubba (listed on IMDB as Neanderthal), the bar owner who comments on the villains "tiny little peckers" was played by Stan Hansen, a wrestler famous (or infamous) for mostly wrestling in Japan. His vision is so short sighted that he was known to pretty much kill people in the ring, including knocking Vader's eye out of the socket (don't worry, he put it back in and continued the match) in a Tokyo Dome match. This may explain why he needs such a close look at the cocks. Also: he volunteered to lose to Hogan in a pretty big deal match a few months before this movie was filmed, so this could be a favor from WWF and Hogan, as Hansen never wrestled for the Vince McMahon era WWF.

3. Lugwrench Perkins (the guy who attacked Zeus with a lug wrench, one can only assume) was played by Jeep Swenson, who went on to be the original Bane in Batman and Robin, another HDTGM fave. In fact, nearly every person in the bar scene is a wrestler: Jos Le Duc, Pete Doherty, Giant Gustav to name a few.

4. You have no idea how much this movie was advertised on 1989 WWF television, where each hour show became literally one hour of shilling for the movie instead of the local wrestling show coming to your arena.

5. This movie is why Hogan lost the belt to the Ultimate Warrior, so that he would have the proper time to devote to making this magnum opus.

6. As for Hogan being racist, when he was a bad guy in 1980 or so, he did refer to Tony Atlas as "boy" and "brown clown" and asked him to shine his shoes. Sadly, this is about the least racist thing that I think I can remember from wrestling, as interviews are replete with racist references, such as Jesse Ventura saying that Mr. T and Junkyard Dog (alternatively) "wore more chains than his ancestors," the Mexicools coming to the ring on a lawnmower and well, pretty much the entire Kamala character.

7. Not really an omission, but the WWF production company was called "Shane Distribution Company," named after Vince McMahon's son, Shane.

8. I saw this movie in the drive in, which probably was the best place to see it. I always wondered how Rip was the good guy when he basically murdered every bad guy and people cheered for it. Maybe everything after he does push ups in bed is an elaborate dream sequence?

PS - Here's a No Holds Barred painting I did. I put more work into it than the entire production of the movie.

420939_10151175131160983_30708560_n-220x300.jpg

• Like 3

Check out doe138's wrestling blog (and occasional podcast) "Counting The Lights" at www.countingthelights.com for more of his artwork and insight into the world of professional wrestling!