🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 69 — The Stakeout

With the new found ability to be invisible, the gang keep an eye on the deadly Gnasher to see if it falls to its death after drinking from its poisoned water bowl. Will the dog meet its demise? Where is that faint harp noise coming from? Tune in to find out!

I swear whenever Jerry wants a vacation he just kamikazees his character. I don't see he or Sarah in the pictures, so here's hoping that they come back soon

Fun Fact: Spiders do have a sense of smell: http://www.spiderswo.../spider-senses/

"The sense of smell is very strong for the Spider. They also use that for finding mates."

I think it just wanted to cuddle.

The_more_you_know_by_stathisnhx-d33639v.png

• Like 7

i have a question for any d&d spell caster experts out there, is that polymorph spell just like an illusion thing or does it actually make blackie into whatever he chooses to look like? when he brought it up all i could think was why doesn't he just turn into like a bull or dinosaur or something and go on a rampage? if it does give him the actual form of something couldn't he just like bust into the rat king's room and bite his head off?

i have a question for any d&d spell caster experts out there, is that polymorph spell just like an illusion thing or does it actually make blackie into whatever he chooses to look like? when he brought it up all i could think was why doesn't he just turn into like a bull or dinosaur or something and go on a rampage? if it does give him the actual form of something couldn't he just like bust into the rat king's room and bite his head off?

Not an expert by a long shot, but polymorph has long been considered a game breaker, because of those very reasons. Sark is limiting it to assuming a form of the same mass, which reigns it in a bit (Blackie might be able to turn into a rat-sized dinosaur.) That may be a house rule (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

I swear whenever Jerry wants a vacation he just kamikazees his character. I don't see he or Sarah in the pictures, so here's hoping that they come back soon

Based on the clothes they're wearing, it's clear that all of the Nerd Poker Ratventures™ episodes were recorded in a single session. Which is a shame, because I was hoping Patton would drop in to voice one of the rats working in the kitchen.

• Like 6

Based on the clothes they're wearing, it's clear that all of the Nerd Poker Ratventures™ episodes were recorded in a single session. Which is a shame, because I was hoping Patton would drop in to voice one of the rats working in the kitchen.

Yeah, I'm kind of ruling out a Patton cameo at this point. They got him to come in once, and that was great, but he's a really busy dude. He's also on the talk show circuit right now, I think, promoting his new special (Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time). It's great, if you haven't seen it yet.

Also, I wonder if Pixar or whatever might give them trouble for doing a Remy cameo. I mean, probably not. But I guess if they weren't careful?

Another great episode--I feel like there was some complaining in one of the recent episode threads about lack of rolls or combat, and I think this goes to show how you can have good RPG sessions without traditional crawling. Great open-ended problem solving, smart choices on the part of players, unexpected outcomes that don't just feel like the DM trying to railroad back into a pre-planned puzzle/solution. Very non-shitty DMing and non-shitty character play. Bravo!

• Like 7

Oh! PAX Prime - yes! Go! That would be rad! Tickets should be going on sale shortly.

Based on the clothes they're wearing, it's clear that all of the Nerd Poker Ratventures™ episodes were recorded in a single session.

It's annoying but I understand. If I were doing this show for years, I would probably want a month off at some point, too

Not an expert by a long shot, but polymorph has long been considered a game breaker, because of those very reasons. Sark is limiting it to assuming a form of the same mass, which reigns it in a bit (Blackie might be able to turn into a rat-sized dinosaur.) That may be a house rule (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

As OP as polymorph seems to be, I still feel like the gauntlet hand is twice as broken

If I'm understanding the show right, they read that with polymorph you could turn into something as big as a hippo. I didn't see that as saying rat sized hippo, just a hippo sized hippo. Maybe the trade off with it is you're still as frail as whatever you were before? It is a crazy spell.

If I'm understanding the show right, they read that with polymorph you could turn into something as big as a hippo. I didn't see that as saying rat sized hippo, just a hippo sized hippo. Maybe the trade off with it is you're still as frail as whatever you were before? It is a crazy spell.

thats what i was thinking, like you looked as big as a hippo but didn't have the proportional strength of a hippo

Yeah, I'm kind of ruling out a Patton cameo at this point. They got him to come in once, and that was great, but he's a really busy dude. He's also on the talk show circuit right now, I think, promoting his new special (Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time). It's great, if you haven't seen it yet.

Also, I wonder if Pixar or whatever might give them trouble for doing a Remy cameo. I mean, probably not. But I guess if they weren't careful?

No, don't say that! I will always hope that Patton with make time to drop in for an episode or two.

The gauntlet was OP, at one point...but i think its been brought back in the opposite direction (well...its moot now, but still). Im wondering if maybe Sark has a hard time walking that line...he wants our guys to have kickass weapons and abilities, but ends up reigning them in pretty far. I think, for me, that would be the hardest part of DMing.

I looked it up for you, and here's the deal as far as the rules are concerned (which may ofcourse differ completely from what Sark decides he wants them to be).

It's an alteration spell, which means the caster actually physically changes, it is not an illusion. However, the caster doesn't receive any of the special abilities of the new form, only some of the basic ones. The Player's Book gives as an example that of an owl - the caster will be able to fly, but will have his own eyesight, not the heightened eyesight of an owl. Another example is that of becoming a 'black pudding' (a gelatinous monster), that can squeeze under doors, and slither across ceilings - the caster can do the door-squeezing, and the ceiling-slithering, but won't be able to use the creature's special combat abilities, like spitting acid.

More importantly, the caster keeps his or her own physical characteristics, like hit points, attack rolls and saving throws. Which basically means that a caster can change into a rhino but won't have any of the extra strength and combat ability of a rhino.

• Like 2

Episode 69 and there's a steak out, did everyone expect this to be the best episode?

I thought it was a pretty great episode. Lot's of action and funny shit. That one rat cook cutting his finger off was priceless.

• Like 1

I looked it up for you, and here's the deal as far as the rules are concerned (which may ofcourse differ completely from what Sark decides he wants them to be).

It's an alteration spell, which means the caster actually physically changes, it is not an illusion. However, the caster doesn't receive any of the special abilities of the new form, only some of the basic ones. The Player's Book gives as an example that of an owl - the caster will be able to fly, but will have his own eyesight, not the heightened eyesight of an owl. Another example is that of becoming a 'black pudding' (a gelatinous monster), that can squeeze under doors, and slither across ceilings - the caster can do the door-squeezing, and the ceiling-slithering, but won't be able to use the creature's special combat abilities, like spitting acid.

More importantly, the caster keeps his or her own physical characteristics, like hit points, attack rolls and saving throws. Which basically means that a caster can change into a rhino but won't have any of the extra strength and combat ability of a rhino.

thanks dude! that answers a lot