🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar Sniffer

Things you have discovered because of The Fogelnest Files

One of the things I love about The Files is the exposure to obscure music, movies, and all-around wacky stuff that I would otherwise be ignorant of. I am just curious if any of you lovely podcast listeners have been similarly exposed to new material and/or inspired to seek new stuff out.

I am currently watching 'Breaking Glass,' which I only know about because of the discussion in the Drunk Projectionist episode with Marc Edward Heuck. It's quite enjoyable, and a very different film despite the superficial plot similarities to 'Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains' (rags-to-ritches-to-corporate-manipulation story of an ambitious young female musician from an economically depressed background who is taken up and ground down by the record industry). Speaking of The Stains, I would not have known about Heuck's commentary on that film, which is excellent... if you're into detailed film commentaries... which I am.

One of my favorite documentaries from the past couple years is 'Room 237,' which I knew about before director Rodney Ascher appeared on the show (episode 28), but his and Jake's enormously enjoyable discussion made me seek it out post-haste and I ended up loving the movie.

• Like 4

I decided to watch Shock Treatment after listening to a recent episode - and really, really enjoyed it. I think I actually liked the songs even more than the songs in Rocky Horror (which are also great).

• Like 1

Good topic! Between Jake and Julie Klausner (did I just marry them in that sentence?), I've been exposed to so much! I'm listening to the archives of The Best Show, and that has become a compulsion. I just got the DVD of Overnight, the documentary about the writer/director of The Boondock Saints. I knew nothing about TBS and was sort of forced into seeing it. I could see a few minutes in how terrible it was about to be, and decided to enjoy it on that level. It was extremely enjoyable once I did that mental footwork! Willem Dafoe took an utterly braindead movie and made it dance and sing! My admiration for him now knows no bounds. I'm planning to get Shock Treatment soon as well. I watched The Room, and it was...amazing. What else? So much else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXuNJxWw88

The Boondock Saints is g-g-g-garbage, but Willem Dafoe has my eternal love and affection. The fact that he can play a character so insane and out-there in such an entertaining way (in such an abhorrent movie), and then play such a quiet, reserved character like Martin in 2011's very underrated 'The Hunter' is pretty remarkable.

My local Big Lots store had copies of Shock Treatments on DVD just a couple of months ago for 3 bucks. I'm kicking myself now for not getting one.

Is it crazy that I like Jessica Harper's version of Janet in Shock Treatment better than Susan Sarandon in Rocky Horror? Perhaps they shouldn't even be compared, but Jessica Harper was REALLY good in Shock Treatment.

Is it crazy that I like Jessica Harper's version of Janet in Shock Treatment better than Susan Sarandon in Rocky Horror? Perhaps they shouldn't even be compared, but Jessica Harper was REALLY good in Shock Treatment.

I'm a big fan of Jessica's work in Suspiria and Phantom of the Paradise. So I'm not surprised to read she did well in that picture.

Listening to the Fogelnest Files is like finally having all of the conversations I should have had with more tuned-in people in high school.

I'd say the number of things that the show has led me to are beyond my knowledge, but I purchased A Band Called Death immediately after that episode came out (long before it was on Netflix) oh AND all of their available music, and obtained the music of Bikini Kill which was just inexcusable that nobody ever once told me in my living life that maybe I should get into that.

So, thanks Jake!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this