🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 85 — Color of Night

Ok this episode really fucked up my understanding of this movie, beyond a sleepaway camp type later.

Dale and Richie-Rose were banging??? I didn't take the "I wish my brother didn't love me so much" as a "he's banging me" thing.... and when did Dale suddenly become a victim of Needlemeyer???

There are absolutely no therapeutic discussions of any level of relevancy throughout the course of this movie. There is no advice given, there are no exercises or analysis. Its almost like Bruce Willis and Scott Bakula are con artists fleeing the law, and they go to hide out in Miami of wherever and end up stealing the identities of 2 actual therapists (presumably played by Kelsay Grammer and David Hyde Pierce) and stumbling like the bumbling con men they are into that established web of group therapy insanity.

Actually, that would have probably made a lot of the story make a lot more sense, and would have given at least SOME level of threat between the Hispanic cop and Bruce Willis (if he was a con man on the run) instead of the weird, sort of tepidly erect dick of a buddy cop dynamic they ended up having (and also with the black cop, but no idea about that character).

Maybe this movie just needs to be re-edited to make a story that makes sense. Maybe you can edit in scenes of Willis getting out of jail from Hudson Hawk to establish him as a con man.

• Like 2

I'm also upset that nobody talked about all the weird random self narration that Willis's character would occasionally do. Like sometimes, he thought he was in some film noir and the directors didn't have the balls to tell say "No, Bruce. No".

• Like 4

early 90s bruce willis sure did star in a lot of what some would call movies

Agreed. From Die Hard 2 (1990) He was on a shit run of "films" until Pulp Fiction:

Look Who's Talking Too

Mortal Thoughts

Hudson Hawk ( already did an episode with Emily Gordon. I like this film, actually)

Billy Bathgate

Last Boy Scout (has its moments for a Brukheimer/Simpson shlockbuster but overall stupid as hell)

Death Becomes Her (bombed but funny)

Striking Distance

North (a total shitburger of a film)

5 years of near box office poison...

I remember when this film came out; I was in high school. One of my best friends was a dyed-in-the-wool Bruce Willis fan and scored us tickets to see this opening night. I remember sitting down and watching this as a group of high school dudes and going apeshit on the lucid plot, but enjoyed the naked Jane March (she was better in The Lover as Zouks mentioned). I re-watched this last night before this dropped and I'm in agreement with everyone as this was a total WTF film.

Having Amy Schumer as the guest for this film seemed like the right fit. Her and June going off on the clothing, locales and everything inbetween (nice Overboard pull!) had me laughing here at work.

• Like 2

Agreed. From Die Hard 2 (1990) He was on a shit run of "films" until Pulp Fiction:

Look Who's Talking Too

Mortal Thoughts

Hudson Hawk ( already did an episode with Emily Gordon. I like this film, actually)

Billy Bathgate

Last Boy Scout (has its moments for a Brukheimer/Simpson shlockbuster but overall stupid as hell)

Striking Distance

Don't forget The Bonfire of the Vanities.

Don't forget The Bonfire of the Vanities.

Oh yeah... forgot that one as well.

Look Who's Talking Too

Mortal Thoughts

Billy Bathgate

Striking Distance

I remember when this film came out; I was in high school. One of my best friends was a dyed-in-the-wool Bruce Willis fan and scored us tickets to see this opening night. I remember sitting down and watching this as a group of high school dudes and going apeshit on the lucid plot, but enjoyed the naked Jane March (she was better in The Lover as Zouks mentioned). I re-watched this last night before this dropped and I'm in agreement with everyone as this was a total WTF film.

Having Amy Schumer as the guest for this film seemed like the right fit. Her and June going off on the clothing, locales and everything inbetween (nice Overboard pull!) had me laughing here at work.

i would love for them to do North! i remember liking it as a kid and seeing it a few times, i was like 9 years old so what the hell did i know. I haven't seen it since then but i think Roger Ebert said it was the worst movie he's ever seen, or at least it was really high on his list of most hated. From what I do remember about it it would be a perfect addition to they gang's recent Bruce Willis trend

This movie was such an example of all that was the mindset of the early 90s. From the look of the house Bakula owns which is what Hollywood wanted to make the viewer feel was the look of success and was used by so many other movies, not just erotic thrillers, at that time. The open space with very neat and maintained areas and different objects to display success, shit it was the same thing that Columbia House used to show in its commercials as sort of a "see how successful this dude is, he can buy CDs and listen to them whenever the fuck he feels like it in his sweet house." Then there were the bike shorts, the cell phones, and the idea of basically the last few taboos of sex finally being openly displayed on film.

Also, did Bruce Willis just take over Scott Bakula's life after he died? He didn't have his name on the house's lease and I'm sure it isn't as easy as just saying to his patients "I'm your new shrink, tell me about how you are screwed up." I think there is a bit more to it than that, but then again I am not a psychiatrist just like Jason isn't a scientist.

• Like 1

This had the worst and most tonally inappropriate score of any film that I have ever seen.

I posted this in the other thread as well, but it's like the score for Hocus Pocus was just re-appropriated for this movie

• Like 1

So if Bruce Willis had been driving his own car, and actually gave a shit if it was damaged or not, he might have actually got contact information for Rose the first time they met, which would have led him to the conclusion of who she really was way faster? Good thing he inexplicably didn't care to have any contact information for a traffic accident or for his girlfriend.

Speaking of, whose car was Rose driving the whole time? I know the cop ran the plate for him, but I forgot whose it turned out to be.

It didn't occur to me until I listened, but the "erotic thriller" genre is pretty much perfect for Jason; if anything, I wish he would have creeped it up even more.

So, can anyone who saw the movie weigh in on the hand/baseball mitt chair debate?

When the lady in the beginning jumps out of the window they show her falling at about 35 or 40 feet away from the building. Who is she Jesse Owens? (did he do the long jump?)

I wanna give a lot of props to Jason for the first time I think I've ever heard the term "clitoral hood" spoken aloud.

Great work.

• Like 8

I'm also upset that nobody talked about all the weird random self narration that Willis's character would occasionally do. Like sometimes, he thought he was in some film noir and the directors didn't have the balls to tell say "No, Bruce. No".

Oh, that was definitely Bruce's idea. If Hudson Hawk taught us anything, young Bruce Willis made very bad choices that probably seemed cool to him at the time and they do not hold up at all, if they ever did.

Also...

June: Did they steal that stuff?

Paul: They don't give bags when you steal stuff.

June: Oh, that's true.

• Like 4

Did anyone else notice the subtly phallic tower, upon which the climax of the movie occurs?

xfurfk.png

And lest you think I'm crazy, consider:

v9bmc.png

Not to mention the "snake in the mailbox".

• Like 9

On the Catchers Mitt/Hand debate, I'd weigh in for hand. Sure its brown and leather, which is probably where the confusion comes in, but the fingers are distinct unlike a catchers mitt, and theres no webbing or anything between the fingers.

I'm curious as to why June thinks that there are fewer therapists in NYC versus LA.

Nyc with a population of 8.337 million over LA with barely 3 and half million

B/c like 2% of the population is in show business?

Did you take the 101 to get to that determination?

Jumping in blind because I'm only 20 minutes into the movie and I don't want to spoil it for myself, but you all need to know about a site called Bakuland. A crazy lady who loves Scott Bakula makes weekly collages of photos of him, and offers them to the internet as gifts of love. Here's the one she made for Color of Night.

Color Of Night.jpg

• Like 6

I felt like Lesley Ann Warren was playing the same character that she played in Clue.

THAT'S what I knew her from. Thanks man.

• Like 1

Jumping in blind because I'm only 20 minutes into the movie and I don't want to spoil it for myself, but you all need to know about a site called Bakuland. A crazy lady who loves Scott Bakula makes weekly collages of photos of him, and offers them to the internet as gifts of love. Here's the one she made for Color of Night.

Color%20Of%20Night.jpg

That's basically all of his scenes outside of wearing bike shorts.

• Like 1

here's a fun tip for any scott bakula fans, try singing his name to the tune of the rob zombie song dragula whenever he appears on screen. it made my girlfriend stop watching the movie with me but i could tell she thought it was funny as he*k

• Like 2