🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 85 — Color of Night

I think this is the best HDTGM movie yet, I had to join the forums just to talk about it.

I watched the extended cut which was amazing. I had no idea what was happening for the first 20 minutes. A few things that stuck out to me were:

- The bike "breaking" scene felt like it was thrown in after the fact when they realized they forgot to explain that Bakula was receiving death threats.

- the car stalking bruce willis from on top of the car park... how did he see where he was going? he was walking along the side of it and the camaro was in the middle of the park with no view below. did he just push a random car off the side and hope he hit bruce willis?

- I enjoyed the obligatory prostitute being led through the lobby of the LAPD station shot, just in case you weren't sure he was at a police station.

- Ruben Blades was one of the best performances I have ever seen! Why the fuck did he scream at the detective who brought Bruce Willis coffee in his office? Im pretty sure he was consuming copious amounts of cocaine for the filming.

- after the first sex scene are we to believe that they finished, Bruce willis got dressed in a SUIT AND TIE while "Rose" made dinner (naked) sat down with her and then in stead of eating decided screw this food lets have a shower? or was this a second "date"?

Did anyone else guess the killer from his very first appearance? The "You should see his bed" line clinched it. How did he know what Scott Bakula's home bed looked like? Then the fact that instead of LINGERING on it like every other red herring, they quickly sweep it under the rug and hurry on to the next scene.

The killer was a furniture maker, I think he was implying that he carved the bed along with Bakula's desk. It also set up that bruce willis was totally going to bang someone in his dead friends bed.

while i'm on the topic of the furniture maker HOLY SHIT that nail gun not only seemed to be loaded with full size framing nails but seems to be the worlds most powerful and accurate nail gun, he manages to hit both of Ruben Blades hands and several fingers from a good distance away.

I could go on and on but I dont want to write a book here.

• Like 4

I'm also upset that nobody talked about all the weird random self narration that Willis's character would occasionally do. Like sometimes, he thought he was in some film noir and the directors didn't have the balls to tell say "No, Bruce. No".

Yes! I was so confused by this. Like, was he narrating for the people around him or does he just do this all the time, because he should be in therapy for that.

No one mentioned that Rose seemed to be, maybe, 16. Especially in the scene where they are in the bath together, it was like a father having some gross play time with his daughter, so super disturbing. And when it was mentioned that Bakula was dating someone way young before he died, Bruce didn't think it was a good idea, but apparently it was alright when he did it? And the fact that no one ever brought up that "oh yea, he was dating some mysterious lady before he was killed, and here I just met one who knows the combo for the alarm," drove me insane.

I also need to just mention that the dinner break they had in between crazy sex blew my mind. Let me just cook you a steak dinner you can eat while staring at my vag, and then we can get back to the under-age sexcapades?

Oh, and Bruce's tan lines. Needed to be mentioned.

I now feel like "snake in the mailbox" is the new jumping the shark. And how he flew backwards when he saw it and nearly got run over by a car. He could have literally gotten up and moved away from it and would have been safe.

Not that there are any factual things in the movie, but I question if you can just go colourblind like some sort of PTSD like that. And how little that actually had to do with the movie. And he didn't see pink either, so were people all just grey blobs to him? No sense. Rose also said she'd stop wearing lipstick for him, which would make zero difference since her lips were already a colour he couldn't see. And the next time she sees him, she's wearing a red dress. Oh, and it wouldn't be "an indeterminate colour," wouldn't he know it was red since he sees red as grey? So just tell your brain that grey stuff is probably red. It's not going to be blue, Bruce. Come on.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this movie was produced by Andrew Vajna; whose name was in the opening credits and the same producer that June wanted to change his name in the Judge Dredd episode.

And this is what Andrew Vajna looks like:

http://atlatszo.hu/wp-content/themes/wp-newspaper/timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fatlatszo.hu%2Fwp-

He seems to be doing pretty well for himself.

• Like 3

Here we go:

The writer that the gang was impressed with was only 2nd billing. The MAIN screenwriter has done nothing but shitty erotic thrillers.

This movie reminded me of Final Analysis, the OTHER shitty 90s erotic thriller about a therapist getting involved with a murder and a woman unhinged by a psycho abusive man.

Did the gang see an alternate cut? I can't imagine why no one mentioned the woman giving the gun a blowjob in the very first scene!

SO much time spent setting up the police Lieutenant as a corrupt coke head. Hyper active, sniffles a lot during the first meeting, used to work narcotics? Absolutely zero payoff. So much effort for yet another pointless red herring WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS WHO THE KILLER IS FROM THE VERY FIRST SCENE HE APPEARS.

I really want to see the squatter's law that says you immediately get a guy's house and car if you're a house guest at the time of their death.

They cut straight from the lieutenant interrogation to Bruce Willis at the house being interrogated again. Again, either the police don't need a warrant to search a house after the sole occupant turns up murdered, or it's quick and trivial to get one.

Lieutenant just deciding to frisk some random dude outside the bar (was that supposed to be Whiskey a Go Go on the Sunset strip?), which the dude is resigned to. That dude has no idea it's a cop, so he's just fine with being frisked by random pedestrians?

Lieutenant had permission to bug the house, but not search it?

The director was trying SO HARD during the first dinner scene, cutting to her (perfect) reflection over Willis as she's talking.

Music during first makeout.

The out loud self-narration was totally post-Hudson Hawk Willis.

Sex scene #7...cut to HANGLIDERS OUTSIDE THE WINDOW!!!! Back to sex.

Fucking in your recently murdered friend’s bed.

Someone else beat me to the "erection" building.

What was the point to the killer dressing up like a woman and ripping off the voice of the killer from Black Christmas? He was obsessed with keeping a woman as a boy, not the other way around. Abusive mother? Nope, nothing mentioned.

At any point during the pointless car chase, Willis could have just slammed the brakes and pulled over instead of risking the lives of dozens.

Why does Bruce have to lie to the black cop and make up some cover story for him to check the plate of the killer's car?

I'd love to have been in the editing room when the decision was made that the final seconds to the touching last shot needed a WACKY "I'm still nailed to the wall and bleeding to death" voice over from the lieutenant, which they can totally hear outside in the raging downpour that L.A. has all the time.

This is out of order, but it's the biggest problem that no one has mentioned yet: SCOTT BAKULA KNEW ROSE'S SECRET! He wrote on her picture that she was a sociopath chameleon who tailored her personality to be the perfect match for each member of the therapy group. Everyone except...Richie! Okay, so it's a stretch to say Bakula should have made the Richie connection, but he already knew that the young girl he was seeing was a nut case who somehow knew enough about the personalities of the group to become the perfect match for each of them! How was this not mentioned during their conversation about having no clue who could be sending the death threats?!!!

• Like 1

I know this podcast isn't exactly focusing on high level intellectual ideas but i was surprised that as a writer Paul was unfamiliar with the word "denouement."

I don't think anyone has posted about this. The whole movie, Bruce Willis cannot see Red. Jane March's character's name, Rose, is a variation on red. So while she is playing different personas throughout the film, it isn't until the end that he can really see her, just as his color blindness goes away.

• Like 5

So, the hidden Color of Night / Die Hard connection.

Bruce Willis is a New York native who takes a trip to Los Angeles because of woman troubles. He arrives and meets a wacky minority driver. He arrives at a gathering of coke head yuppies. The head of the gathering is murdered shortly after. He butts heads with the lead police officer but is cool with his black subordinate. The cokehead is the only other person at the gathering to be killed by the villain.

But hold on, both movies have an antagonist who goes berserk after the death of........their younger brother!

KcsMCkT.jpg

machinegunhohoho.jpg

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!!!

• Like 4

So, basically if the opening sequences of films are to be trusted, Bruce Willis is a terrible therapist. Consider the evidence:

1) Color of Night

One of his patient leaps to her death during a session with him!

2) The Sixth Sense

After winning an award for his supposed success, he returns home to find a former patient of his hiding in his bedroom with a gun!!

• Like 2

I just want to say that I'm really surprised that nobody liked this movie lol I mean it was a bad movie, but it was good. I'm a little mad that nobody talked about the two sex scenes. Oh and the boob flash followed by the 2 minute awkward laugh from Bruce Willis. There was some other stuff but I forgot. Love the podcast! Amy was awesome.

• Like 1

I don't think the ponytail artist/cokehead Casey was fucking Dale the killer. I got the impression it was Bonnie/Rose, sent ahead by Dale to get Casey to lower his guard and get tied up so Dale could kill him.

What I don't get about Dale's whole plan: wasn't Richie's therapy mandated by a court? What good would killing everyone do? Was it Richie could only get out of therapy if the therapist released him so the plan was to keep killing therapists until he got one that released Richie? If so, why bother kill any of the patients?

(Sharon Stone wasn't a therapist in Basic Instinct. She was just a psych major who used it to become a best selling author.)

I don't think anyone has posted about this. The whole movie, Bruce Willis cannot see Red. Jane March's character's name, Rose, is a variation on red. So while she is playing different personas throughout the film, it isn't until the end that he can really see her, just as his color blindness goes away.

Also, Bruce Willis's name is Bill Capa (pronounced "Coppa"), which the HDTGM crew kept thinking was a reference to slang for a police officer. My thought is that it's a reference to the color copper, which is a brownish shade of red (and since blood sometimes smells like actual copper, this kind of makes sense in a weird, roundabout way).

• Like 1

Roses are red. Her name is Rose. He can't see red.

I imagine there is some significance to this but maybe I'm giving the movie too much credit.

I know this podcast isn't exactly focusing on high level intellectual ideas but i was surprised that as a writer Paul was unfamiliar with the word "denouement."

i tweeted him about this, and his response was "now seeing it I realize my mistake. I didn't expect him to drop French mid sentence"

It's going to be tough to get into his circle, I mean you're competing with Ashley Tisdale and Tom from Myspace.

jacquescircles_zpsb6128fa4.jpg

I added the Dr to my Google + CIrcles. he added me back. I am now part of a very elite circle. I cannot say the same of Paul.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this movie was produced by Andrew Vajna; whose name was in the opening credits and the same producer that June wanted to change his name in the Judge Dredd episode.

Paul seemed a little defensive on this point in the mini ep. Sounds like he had had an unconmfortable phone conversation with Mr. Vajna after the Judge Dredd episode: "It's pronounced 'Van-ya,' and if anyone affiliated with your podcast gets it wrong again, I'll crush you like a bug," Vanja growled while chomping on a cigar. "Does that include posters?" Paul squeeked. Vajna slammed down the phone, and Paul heard nothing after that except a dial tone.

andrewvajna2.jpg

Link to an interesting article about Uncle Vajna: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,628785,00.html

According to Wikipedia, "On January 15, 2011, the Hungarian government appointed him government commissioner in charge of the Hungarian film industry." That refers to Vajna, not Paul.

Someone sat in on my group therapy recently and I thought of you guys. But she worked for the hospital. She wasn't a random person from another city.

• Like 1

Perhaps inexplicably, "By the way, I watched this movie at a Starbucks in Larchmont" is still one of my favorite things June has ever said.