🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 9 — Slowing It Down

Hearing Scottrick laugh heartily at a well-timed Adam Scott barb is pure, pure gold

Adam Scott Aukerman

U2 Kru

• Like 1

I think Talking About Turtle should be a longer podcast, I would also accept You Encouraging Entourage To Me

I'm STILL laughing about "Booooce"

like, all day i'd remember and then, crazy person giggles.

• Like 2

I listened to this episode a couple days ago, and it was my first "U Talkin' U2 to Me" (PFT's my gateway guest, apparently). I'm not sure why I didn't start listening sooner - maybe because I'm just a casual U2 fan, although I can't believe I'd expect it to actually be a "comprehensive and encyclopedic compendium of all things U2." I see why this show would be annoying for anyone who goes in expecting it to be that, but why would that person finish an episode? It's ridiculously satisfying to listen to the Scotts screw around for one-two hours. The frustration with resetting to the same time period over and over is hilarious, but the moment that really broke me is this one, at 1:28:50. I'll try to recapture it in quotes:

Scott: So, Paul, what -

PFT: Huh?

Scott: So "Pop" comes out and -

PFT: Who?

Scott: You're-you're not in -

PFT: Yeah?

Scott: You're not into it, and then I remember -

PFT: No?

Scott: I remember you -

PFT: Uh huh?

Scott: Oh my god! By the way, something clicked in my brain about five minutes ago where I have no patience for this show anymore.

Paul: It's because people are doing to you what you do to people?

That's when I lost it and had to pause because I was laughing over stuff. I'm glad I was home at the time.

I've listened to every episode now, and even though I'd heard of U2 before, this podcast makes me feel like I've heard of them all over again.

• Like 5

This is my favorite podcast, and this ep was the best one yet.

My favorite part is at 1:16:55, quoted below:

AS: But I feel like with Paul, we’ve gone over the same span of time from when he started…

SA: Yes! He’s heard of U2. He’s heard of them.

PFT: Yes.

AS: From his new adult friends.

PFT: Yes, that’s right.

SA: Let’s get to some further detail!

PFT: You’re the one who keeps resetting it!

SA: But look, at this point…

PFT: I keep… I don’t know how to rephrase… the same thing… in another way anymore!

SA: But at this point, you’ve heard of them though?

PFT: YES!!! JESUS CHRIST!!!

SA: Okay.

AS: But you have not heard their music?

SA: This must be what it’s like listening to the show.

AS: We’re trapped IN the show.

• Like 3

I nearly choked on my coffee from laughing when Scott (Adam) brought up the concept of people walking slowly at 20 mph.

I nearly lost it when he said that and while in the workplace no less. The image that came to my mind was a tracking tool used during football games on TV to show how fast a player runs during a replay. Specifically I remembered Reggie Bush hitting 21 mph on his way to scoring a kickoff return touchdown. Guys, that is SO FAST!!!

• Like 1

Big fan of Scott, but this episode is total crap! When I heard "The Golden Boy" mentioned, I was elated. Nary a mention of Oscar De La Hoya! What a rip! Oh well, I'll keep listening though, with my fingers crossed.

Funniest Episode yet!

I have a bone to pick though...The guys keeps saying that U2 is a "Dad Rock" band or that only people 'of their generation' like the band. Not so gentlemen!

I'm not a dad...I'm a 33 yr old female. I'm definitely not of the same generation, but I gravitated toward U2 in the same ways. I'm more with Scott, in that I can't love EVERYTHING they put out, but I identify with Adam's loyalty as well.

Find a funny woman to come on the show! There has to be other women besides me that love U2.

I found U2 when I was 11 (Achtung Baby era) and I always tell people that they are my favorite band. I then field odd looks from everyone....

• Like 1

I had never heard of this movie Bring On The Night (not the biggest Sting fan in the world, true story) so I had to look up this trailer for myself.

I was 100% sure that Scotts/Paul were making up the bit about Sting singing the Flintstones theme, but nope. 1:31.

Also this movie looks completely awful.

• Like 1

I was audibly losing my mind at my desk when this happened. I had to pause the podcast so I could laugh it all out, wiping tears from my eyes for over a minute. So good.

I was listening to this on my bus ride home and was crying with laughter when Adam said I am listening, you're 49 and your birthday is September 11th and all the yelling and arguing.

I think this might be my favourite podcast episode of all time.

I nearly choked on my coffee from laughing when Scott (Adam) brought up the concept of people walking slowly at 20 mph.

I was mowing my yard the first time I heard that. I had to stop and laugh like an idiot.

"what's the denzel washington virtual reality movie?" "glory?"

audible laugh

• Like 1

Scott, wtf are you talking about Bruce is better than Tom. Could a person be more wrong?

Also, I LOVE this show now. Some of you may recall that I posted in earlier episodes that I couldn't come to understand how this was funny (oh, it got funny. it got VERY funny) in comparison to Analyze Phish. I get so excited when I hear the not-so-quiet laughter of PFT in the background.