🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 10 — All That You Can’t Leave Behind

I think this instalment of this—the comprehensive and encyclopaedic compendium of all things U2, stroke the perfect balance of actually interesting info about the titular U2 album and random banter. Lowest moment was that episode of "This is how I talk when I talk about Cuisine". It was so bad that Scott didn't even acknowledge Scott's "good ep" remark...

Other than that, I was almost teared-up when they were talking about "Stuck in a Moment", and then they started the jerking it/suicide jokes, which were hilarious and totally grounded me back to laughing my ass off.

The chemistry between those two is unrivalled. I really wish they go on until Bonó comes to the show or U2 break up.

Btw, go to Comedy Bang Bang, ep. 267, 8:25 minutes in, and enjoy Scott's comment with the proper insider's knowledge.

I think this instalment of this—the comprehensive and encyclopaedic compendium of all things U2, stroke the perfect balance of actually interesting info about the titular U2 album and random banter. Lowest moment was that episode of "This is how I talk when I talk about Cuisine". It was so bad that Scott didn't even acknowledge Scott's "good ep" remark...

Oh I totally disagree. I think this episode was much needed for U2 fans (I'm not one of them) who are actually interested in hearing the Scotts talk about U2 because they dicked around for like three episodes in a row. It was a good episode and I did enjoy listening despite my apathy for U2 because we'd heard so much banter in the last few eps.

But if this were the podcast every week, I would be bored. It was almost entirely U2, save the first half hour, which I don't think will satisfy many listeners who don't care about U2. Honestly, I listen only for the Scott & Scott banter, and I don't think I'm alone. So to satisfy everyone, I think it's best when they do an episode half banter, half U2. I think the Rattle & Hum ep was a good one for that, or even Joshua Tree.

Oh I totally disagree. I think this episode was much needed for U2 fans (I'm not one of them) who are actually interested in hearing the Scotts talk about U2 because they dicked around for like three episodes in a row. It was a good episode and I did enjoy listening despite my apathy for U2 because we'd heard so much banter in the last few eps.

But if this were the podcast every week, I would be bored. It was almost entirely U2, save the first half hour, which I don't think will satisfy many listeners who don't care about U2. Honestly, I listen only for the Scott & Scott banter, and I don't think I'm alone. So to satisfy everyone, I think it's best when they do an episode half banter, half U2. I think the Rattle & Hum ep was a good one for that, or even Joshua Tree.

I think you misread my comment. I'm not saying this was the best episode, just that it was balanced. I agree with you 100% that I would not listen to the podcast either if it was so much U2-centric all the time, as I, like you, could not care less about U2 too. (I've actually tried giving them a second chance on account of this podcast but they are just low quality rock and roll music, in my opinion).

If I were to describe the perfect episode of this—the comprehensive and encyclopaedic compendium of all things U2, it would actually be a descending spiral of nestling I Love Film episodes. Because, despite my name not being Scott, I too love film.

Loved the episode, great mix of nonsense and Talkin' '2.

It also reminded me that yes, this album is pretty great. I was really into U2 at the time, and their subsequent albums basically killed my enthusiasm for them. Looking back, I don't really think of this among their classics, and I wouldn't put it up there with Joshua Tree or ACHTUNG baby, but it's closer to those than to their more recent ones.

Did the Scott's realize they'd already made the cliffhanger joke in farts and procreation?

• Like 1

Btw, go to Comedy Bang Bang, ep. 267, 8:25 minutes in, and enjoy Scott's comment with the proper insider's knowledge.

Who do you think you are, "Marilu" Henner?

One of my favorite Hot Pocketman quotes: "Hey Flood, save it for the Noah movie."

• Like 2

One of my favorite Hot Pocketman quotes: "Hey Flood, save it for the Noah movie."

That's a good burn...that U2 said.

You know a U2 podcast is good when you tune out during the parts that are actually about U2 and yet you still come away with an hour and forty five minutes of good entertainment.

• Like 1

tbh the more i hear and find out about them, the more i hate U2, today i found myself going "ugh why do they keep playing this" when they would do clips

the podcats is doing its job? or a job in any case

• Like 4

As a fan of both U2 and the Scotts, I enjoyed this episode a lot. Achtung Baby was my gateway U2 album and still my favorite, but ATYCLB is a close second. The Scotts are very correct in their assessment that the first six songs on the album are great and then it kind of falls apart. Also, if "Wild Honey" had been on a Beatles album it would have been the song they gave Ringo. That is what that song is.

I saw them in Chicago on the second leg of the US tour after friends raved about the first set of shows and I have always been fascinated my the differences between the pre- and post-9/11 shows so I'm glad they touched on that. When we saw them in Chicago, Garbage was the opening act and to this day, whenever somebody brings up that concert my husband without fail says, "And Garbage was their opener and they were GARBAGE. Nobody goes to a U2 concert to see the opening act."

If they refered to Adam Scott as "Adam" instead of also calling him "Scott" it would alleviate a lot of the confusion imo

• Like 5

Earnest reading of New York lyrics had me dying. Totally forget how bad that song was or even what it sounded like until this episode. I think I only have room for one song called "New York" in my head and it is occupied by Doves.

The Elevation tour was also sort of strange in that PJ Harvey opened for them on a huge chunk of dates which was a weird (but welcome) pairing. Saw it two nights in Chicago.

• Like 1

TIL from this episode.. Scott may or may not be able to tell human female genitalia from a horse's penis. Early on in this episode Scott references Crank 2 and how there is a shot of Amy Smart's vagina as she leaps over the camera. Scott says something along the lines of "oh I remember the part on the race track with the horse penis" and then the matter is quickly dropped. I'm not sure how to feel about this development, but somehow it is making me sad for Kulap.

Keep up the good work Scotts! Maybe a little less U2 talk would be nice as well, I'm beginning to bother my friends my bafflingly complete knowledge of U2, from the names of the band members to how PFT first discovered them.

But that is good uhh rock n roll based podcasting.

• Like 3

Maybe it's just me, but for me, a rock band entering a stadium through lines of men wearing tuxedos sounds a little, um, stupid.

If they refered to Adam Scott as "Adam" instead of also calling him "Scott" it would alleviate a lot of the confusion imo

that would be the joke, yes.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me, but for me, a rock band entering a stadium through lines of men wearing tuxedos sounds a little, um, stupid.

It does actually look kind of cool, the PopMart live from Mexico City show is pretty great too, despite the stage attire.

• Like 1

Did the Scott's realize they'd already made the cliffhanger joke in farts and procreation?

I'm glad someone mentioned this.

"What's gonna happen to my body on this cliff"

Also I just realized Scott's "Ketchup and Mustards if you know what I mean" was probably a reference to Adam & Harris's group from Farts and Pro, but sadly didn't Adam catch it.

• Like 1

All-About-Money-11-e1398984321585.jpg

Wasn't sure whether "All About Money" was a new podcast, or they just forgot the title of "Talkin' 'Bout Money". Either way, here's a new poster. Keep reachin' for that Bitcoin, Scotts.

(Full-size)

• Like 9

What? ...How so?

• Like 1