🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 74 — New Beginning

I lost it at Brian's ad for some dude named Christian Mingle (from the makers of Jay Date.)

• Like 2

Well, turned 40 today, and it was a total crap birthday. Not the age thing, but the fact that I spent it trying to coax down a girlfriend suffering a massive panic attack and nobody really wanting to go out and do anything. Highlight of the day has been a new episode of Nerd Poker. Even more uplifting is the fact that you all rolled new characters and seem to be having fun getting into them.

I am digging the new take and new characters. I am going to miss the Old lot, and campaign, but this seems like it will be a good little break, until they return. It is going to be nice seeing how Blaine handles the DM duties in comparison to Sark. I can't wait for more.

Been meaning to post on the forums sooner. Really meant to last week to voice my hopes for new characters rather than drag the old group in a new direction. Went ahead and did so this week to thank you for being the best birthday gift my aging ass got today. Not a pity party, just thankful this podcast kicks so much ass every week.

• Like 3

Love it. Already there's interesting elements to all the characters and everyone rp'd excellently.

Blaine is going to be great, laughed hard at "scroterised"

I just finished my Nerd Poker binge with this episode. I was a little sad at the end of the previous episode. The story was rushed and I wasn't sure how Blaine transitioning to DM would work out. But, I'm happy to say that I like his story telling style so far and the new characters are great! I agree with the others that Houg Denning is very funny so far and has great potential. Also, I'm sure Gerry will come through with someone epic.

also, doesn't Dag being Damien's cousin mean that we're near or in Malevania? what does that mean if we know that the Old Asshole has been there and collected people? is this happening pre-collectors?

Great episode but i think this kind of screwed it up. Blaine says right at the top that it wasn't going to be in Sark's universe, then Brian makes his characters related.

Look forward to hearing more from Blaine and what Gerry comes up with.

At first I was a bit bummed that Brian was going back to playing a "safe" character, aka dumb fighter. I enjoyed his roleplaying a lot more when he branched out with Damien. But he seems to have come up with an interesting background for Dag, and I love that he was inspired by Undertaker. And as usual, he escalates the situation to the perfect degree by slicing through a guy with his battle axe. I loved it. Hopefully his crush on Lyra continues throughout the campaign and makes everyone uncomfortable.

I'm glad Ken and Sarah changed it up big time. Hug has already become much more interesting than Bart. There was just an overabundance of fighters in the Sark campaign. We've got a much more varied group coming together now. And of course, Gerry is going to create someone awesome to add to the mix, because that's what he does.

And I'm liking Blaine's DMing already. There were a couple initial hiccups, but once he has time to write up a bit of stuff for them, it should be smooth sailing. I think he'll enjoy the liberal use of weird NPCs more than Sark.

Given Sarah's penchant for alliteration, what are the guesses for Lyra's full name? I'm guessing Lyra Lightfingers.

I lost it at Brian's ad for some dude named Christian Mingle (from the makers of Jay Date.)

Yeah, that was nothing short of brililant. Wasn't he a friend of Jay Date, according to Blaine?

Great characters and fresh start, though I hope Gerry makes a fighter of some sort as this party is lacking in firepower to a pretty serious degree.

• Like 1

Great characters and fresh start, though I hope Gerry makes a fighter of some sort as this party is lacking in firepower to a pretty serious degree.

Ken's character is so perfectly useless it's hilarious. i love it.

• Like 1

Loving the new crew.

Ken: With those awesome stats (18,17,17...), why didn't you put one of them into Co!?!

I HP... Ouch.

Loving the new crew.

Ken: With those awesome stats (18,17,17...), why didn't you put one of them into Co!?!

I HP... Ouch.

I was a bit confused by that as well. Although, by the ruleset they are using I thought that since he is a magehe would not benefit from having a Con score greater than 16, thus have wasted points.

I have never posted before but have listened to every episode, most twice, some three times, classics (The origins, deaths, new character intros, Dave Anthony as Bart, etc) countless times, and enjoy, most of all, the artwork here on the boards! So, I am a little pained to say I am a little worried about the new direction. I started this account on the Earwolf boards solely to weigh-in on the abrupt ending to the "collector" storyline in last weeks episode, which I will comment more on in the right thread. [(Spoiler Alert: When I needed an account, it was a lot like needing a gun... I'm glad there was a waiting period, because a second listen changed my mind.) Still... closure on Stargoyle would have been nice.]

I was excited about new characters and new plots. They hinted at more guest and a new start last week, which I thought hinted that Blaine, a very talented writer, improviser and comedian, planned to start a new story. Also, I thought the idea of guest being introduced meant he'd find a good way to weave them into his plot like an NPC, that is actually played by a guest. How fun would it have been if Trogdor was played by Patton for a period of time. I think guest expose a podcast to new listeners and could greatly benefit this show.

I love the new characters, I loved this opening scene, I hope they grow on it. I believe that minus the development of a Gerry character they continue with this scene next episode, but based on all the Danger Room suggestions, I am hesitant to get attached to anything. Also, I forgot that in over 73 episodes, Sark had basically been the host of that show. He grew into that role and I know Blaine will too. I do believe they will right the ship and I think this will be a fun new series. As a lover of the long-long-form improv this podcast supplied me, I just hope we stay the course or if they are dissatisfied with these characters, take a consistent course soon... I am not looking forward to 3-to-"Indefinite"* months of Danger Room scenarios.

I like these new characters and the new plot, I say stick with it. You can even introduce guest as alternates to these difficult to manage NPC's. I just don't want to lose the long-form style that keep me coming back.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

(thought it was just worth reiterating)

*indefinite per Sark

I have never posted before but have listened to every episode, most twice, some three times, classics (The origins, deaths, new character intros, Dave Anthony as Bart, etc) countless times, and enjoy, most of all, the artwork here on the boards! So, I am a little pained to say I am a little worried about the new direction. I started this account on the Earwolf boards solely to weigh-in on the abrupt ending to the "collector" storyline in last weeks episode, which I will comment more on in the right thread. [(Spoiler Alert: When I needed an account, it was a lot like needing a gun... I'm glad there was a waiting period, because a second listen changed my mind.) Still... closure on Stargoyle would have been nice.]

I was excited about new characters and new plots. They hinted at more guest and a new start last week, which I thought hinted that Blaine, a very talented writer, improviser and comedian, planned to start a new story. Also, I thought the idea of guest being introduced meant he'd find a good way to weave them into his plot like an NPC, that is actually played by a guest. How fun would it have been if Trogdor was played by Patton for a period of time. I think guest expose a podcast to new listeners and could greatly benefit this show.

I love the new characters, I loved this opening scene, I hope they grow on it. I believe that minus the development of a Gerry character they continue with this scene next episode, but based on all the Danger Room suggestions, I am hesitant to get attached to anything. Also, I forgot that in over 73 episodes, Sark had basically been the host of that show. He grew into that role and I know Blaine will too. I do believe they will right the ship and I think this will be a fun new series. As a lover of the long-long-form improv this podcast supplied me, I just hope we stay the course or if they are dissatisfied with these characters, take a consistent course soon... I am not looking forward to 3-to-"Indefinite"* months of Danger Room scenarios.

I like these new characters and the new plot, I say stick with it. You can even introduce guest as alternates to these difficult to manage NPC's. I just don't want to lose the long-form style that keep me coming back.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

(thought it was just worth reiterating)

*indefinite per Sark

this isn't specifically in response to you, just everyone is general who's moaning about no more Sark

I think we all have excitement and reservations but at the end of the day, this is what we got, Sark's gonna be gone as long as he needs to be gone, way longer than 3 months if we're being realistic, the dude has a real life and he wants to be a part of it, and crying about how this campaign isn't like the old campaign or losing the old characters or whatever other bullshit is just pointless. this is what Nerd Poker is now, it's gonna be great or maybe it's not. I choose to have faith it'll be awesome and as fun as ever.

• Like 1

After one episode, I am very optimistic for this season with Blaine DM'ing! Great characters, OMG Houg Denning, I had to turn off the podcast repeatedly to re-gather myself at work and stop snickering. I am hoping Gerry brings another fighter-type (ranger?) to bolster the firepower. I'd like to see Lyra get a range weapon like a bow (been awhile, but there is a dex bonus for ranged weapons, no?) and attack from the shadows. Also hoping they transition this tavern scene, which is great, into a bigger, on-going campaign rather than a series of danger-room scenarios.

Go team nerd!

• Like 1

This was about as great as I could have hoped. It may take a little while to adjust to Blaine's style of DMing, compared to Sark's awesome (albeit shitty) DMing. But the new characters, especially Hug, seem like they'll be a lot of fun.

A couple of nerd complaints: Lyra had her sword AT LID'S THROAT, yet he somehow got the drop on her and knocked her out with one punch? How did that happen?

Also, does everyone realize they get to add strength to their attack and damage rolls? I never hear anyone mention adding modifiers to those rolls. Brian should have gotten a +1 to his battle axe damage with a 16 strength, right?

• Like 1

I started listening about a year ago, although I powered through every episode, and I love this show. I just wanted to say I think the new show format is going to be great. Blaine has a great DMing style and I can't wait for Sark to be on the other side of the table. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

I would have thought that everyone would be more accustomed to the process of making up characters, given how often they tended to die in previous campaigns. I don't expect perfect knowledge, but "4d6, drop the lowest" is the first mantra any D&D player ought to learn.

Yeah, yeah, shut the fuck up Wolli.

I really liked Hug Denning as a character. I hope Ken gets lots of play out of this one - though as an illusionist with 1hp at first level I'm kinda in doubt about his future. Glad to see someone's playing a rogue finally, even if she was KOed in the first round. Hope that doesn't become a signature.

Finally, Brian really ought to have done a bit more research on the Australian vernacular before naming a character "Dag"... :D

Ken's character is so perfectly useless it's hilarious. i love it.

Would you still say that....with doves coming out of your ears!'

• Like 2

If you're wondering how their campaigns go or other DM stuff,

just repeat to yourself 'its a free podcast...I should really just relax!'

• Like 2

If you're wondering how their campaigns go or other DM stuff,

just repeat to yourself 'its a free podcast...I should really just relax!'

Part of the fun is pointing out the very loose interpration of the rules. Ken dignityless illusionist, who for no reason is a slight of hand stage magican, is a wild misinterpration of the class, and it absoultey made the episode. By the same token it made no sense that Brian's grim grave digger was at a magic show holding his junk,still loved it, and there is a certain pleasure in discussing the absurdity of it. It's like a marvel "No-Prize".

I imagine it safe to assume that anyone listening closely enough to note these things has a deep affection for the show.

• Like 3

I started listening about a year ago, although I powered through every episode, and I love this show. I just wanted to say I think the new show format is going to be great. Blaine has a great DMing style and I can't wait for Sark to be on the other side of the table. Keep up the great work.

Welcome to the boards. I have honestly never seen a more pleasent and likeable group of internet commenters with a better relationship with podcast we listen too.

• Like 1

So one half elf, and the rest are human? Maybe it's just me, but I love when the party has all kinds of different races in it.

I really want Gerry to be a gnome bard named Boel Jillie or something.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this