🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

After all the enthusiasm about it during the Winter's Tale ep, I can't believe no one's made a formal entry for this pile of garbage yet. And it comes out in just a couple of weeks!

• Like 3

Every time a commercial for this movie comes up, I smile only because of Jason's description of it during "Winter's Tale." Let's see this happen!

• Like 1

I doubt it will happen since they seem to stay away from Sandler feelums, but this movie is going to bring the suck for sure.

I don't know if this makes it more or less likely to do it (probably less), but Lauren Lapkus is in it.

I think it may be safe to do it with this one as they openly went after it in an episode and to be honest Sandler doesn't seem to have the pull he once did.

Is it just me, or do most Sandler films of the last few years look like they were basically paid vacations? The guiltiest of these would be the Grown Ups movies, which are almost ANTI-movies in a way, just dudes hanging out and Kevin James not being Chris Farley.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or do most Sandler films of the last few years look like they were basically paid vacations? The guiltiest of these would be the Grown Ups movies, which are almost ANTI-movies in a way, just dudes hanging out and Kevin James not being Chris Farley.

Lots of people are accusing him of this. This seems almost like an admission of guilt; it's like he's saying, "Oh, you think I'm doing these movies for paid vacations? I'll make a movie where my character takes a vacation he didn't even pay for!"

• Like 1

That and the fact for some reason all of these recent movies have huge budgets in comparison to the little being put onto screen. It doesn't cost $80 million to create a deer pissing in your face, which is an odd number as it seems like it is a minimum set by the IRS that production companies have to reach for certain write-offs as every movie he has been a lead in, outside of Reign Over Me, has had a budget of $75-90 million and they definitely do not show it on the screen.

In all fairness to movies being paid vacations, there is still definitely a way for such films to be good movies. There's no reason, for example, 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' needs to be set in Hawaii, nor does it need to have such drop-dead gorgeous lead actresses for Jason Segel to choose between... but it's an outstanding comedy nonetheless. This just makes these Sandler excuses all the more egrious acts of terrorism against the film-going public. Since there are clear examples of such movies being entertaining, this is just an excuse to spray fart jokes at the screen for 90 minutes and call it a movie. And I liked 'Don't Mess with the Zohan!' I am THAT lenient when it comes to Sandler. But still, fuck this thing and the Grown Ups movies. Ugh.

• Like 4

In all fairness to movies being paid vacations, there is still definitely a way for such films to be good movies. There's no reason, for example, 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' needs to be set in Hawaii, nor does it need to have such drop-dead gorgeous lead actresses for Jason Segel to choose between... but it's an outstanding comedy nonetheless. This just makes these Sandler excuses all the more egrious acts of terrorism against the film-going public. Since there are clear examples of such movies being entertaining, this is just an excuse to spray fart jokes at the screen for 90 minutes and call it a movie. And I liked 'Don't Mess with the Zohan!' I am THAT lenient when it comes to Sandler. But still, fuck this thing and the Grown Ups movies. Ugh.

Also, in these Sandler flicks, there's likely to be more "jokes" at the expense of the native people and culture. On top of being insulting to the viewer, they're also insulting to all involved. Oh my God, guys, they're not even speaking ENGLISH! In their own country! Can you believe it?!? That's wacky! LULZ!

• Like 4

In all fairness to movies being paid vacations, there is still definitely a way for such films to be good movies. There's no reason, for example, 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' needs to be set in Hawaii, nor does it need to have such drop-dead gorgeous lead actresses for Jason Segel to choose between... but it's an outstanding comedy nonetheless.

I mean, if you want a lot of people to go see it, that certainly helps. And, for that matter, setting it in a place that's conducive to them wearing revealing outfits helps more. That doesn't mean they help it be a good movie, but obviously that's not the only concern of people involved in those decisions.

• Like 1

I don't know if I can bring myself to watch this one.....

I mean, if you want a lot of people to go see it, that certainly helps. And, for that matter, setting it in a place that's conducive to them wearing revealing outfits helps more. That doesn't mean they help it be a good movie, but obviously that's not the only concern of people involved in those decisions.

Maybe it's just my personal idiosyncrasies, but I would like a movie starring Kathy Bates and Cloris Leachman that takes place on the Mongolian Steppe as they seduce various horse-tamers and hawk-hunters in hot, fermented yak milk action!

• Like 4

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-tolerable-adam-sandler-movie-blended-reviewed-1580034451

There's not a single surprising or believable romantic moment in Blended, but Sandler and Barrymore almost sell it anyway—their two-overgrown-dopes routine has its charms. I definitely wouldn't say I recommend it, but if you're stuck going to it with your kids or significant other, the good news is that it's more tolerable than you probably expect. When it comes to an Adam Sandler film, that's practically a rave review.

Grade: C.

I love that 'tolerable' is high praise for an Adam Sandler movie.

• Like 2

The movie is underperforming, grossing only $14 million this weekend. However the budget for Blended was actually only $40 million, which hasn't been this modest for a Sandler comedy since 2002's Mr. Deeds which cost $50 million. The majority of Sandler's comedies within 10 years cost between $70 to $90 million.

The movie is underperforming, grossing only $14 million this weekend. However the budget for Blended was actually only $40 million, which hasn't been this modest for a Sandler comedy since 2002's Mr. Deeds which cost $50 million. The majority of Sandler's comedies within 10 years cost between $70 to $90 million.

He usually has a couple of expensive co-stars at least, and then the wife/girlfriend/whoever is usually a part that's filled by a big name. This looks to just be the Adam and Drew show, and maybe it was cheap to film this one because of tax breaks or something.

Oh, and I haven't seen the film in it's entirety, nor will I ever, but I've seen the end credits several times, so to those of you that are asking yourselves "This doesn't look like one if Sandler's funny voice movies, but does he at least sing a terrible song?", the answer is yes. Yes like a motherfucker.

• Like 2

Now that his films are bombing and there is likely no plausible chance any of the HDTGM crew nor their friends will likely be cast in any of his future films, maybe they can now do one of the older, more deserving Adam Sandler movies? Can it finally be time for Jack & Jill or Grown Ups 2? Or do we have to wait to see how that alien invaders movie does first?

Every time a commercial for this movie comes up, I smile only because of Jason's description of it during "Winter's Tale." Let's see this happen!

I just listened to the "Winter's Tale" episode and was so confused when they started talking about this one. I wasn't paying attention and initially missed that it was discussion of a separate movie, instead thinking that it was the beginning of "Winter's Tale."

I haven't seen this, but...Shaq is in it. Seems like a contender just because of his involvement. Amazing that the box office is more than 3x the budget of $40M.

I haven't seen this, but...Shaq is in it. Seems like a contender just because of his involvement. Amazing that the box office is more than 3x the budget of $40M.

Classic Happy Madison, they make these on the cheap to ensure their investors will see dividends. $40 million is a paltry sum in modern Hollywood and this film was barely marketed at all. I have to wonder if Sandler and Barrymore get base + percentage or a typical salary? I have to think it's the former; even a small percent of Blended's $250M worldwide box office has to be much more than a regular paycheck.

Despite some online cynicism, audiences still seem to have a lot of goodwill towards Sandler. Drew Barrymore's presence certainly didn't hurt.

This last Sunday I hosted a Sandler double feature at my library with Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore and it just depressed me seeing how good he used to be.

• Like 1

I've said this many times before, but I fucking loved Punch Drunk Love. He was phenomenal in that movie and I really hope he starts picking some better projects.

The thought of him doing shit like this a decade from now is incredibly depressing to think about as he's about to turn fifty.