🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 285 — Solo Bolo

I'm going to start a Change.org petition to change the name "Thursday" to "Podcast Christmas."

Also, I hope this image doesn't cause anyone to have a cow:

VhHICrj.png

Oh my God, do you think she's a COLLEGE GIRL?

• Like 4

Fan of 3 years, listen every week and I lasted about 12 minutes before I had to shut it off. Don't do this again, please.

Fan of 3 years, listen every week and I lasted about 12 minutes before I had to shut it off. Don't do this again, please.

The show really took off at minute 13. Sucks for you.

• Like 9

Cranky guy was right about the $80 pants.

But this show was amazing. Just nonstop bits from two hilarious dudes. I would listen to a monthly show with these two.

• Like 1

It was stupid and amazing. More Solo Bolo!

• Like 1

Don't do this again, please.

This is the only part of this message that annoys me. You don't like the episode? Fine. It's the hectoring tone to Scott on some these critical posts that is bothersome.

Nothing wrong with criticism IMO, but there's a way to say something without being rude.

• Like 5

This is the only part of this message that annoys me. You don't like the episode? Fine. It's the hectoring tone to Scott on some these critical posts that is bothersome. Nothing wrong with criticism IMO, but there's a way to say something without being rude.

I'm with you on this, but the thing that bugs me the most about all the negative posts is that most of them arn't criticism. they make no points at all, everyone just boils down to "didn't like it!". and that's just useless and negative for no reason, I'll happily out myself as one of the people who didn't really like this episode either, so i can understand the feeling, but what's the point of just coming here to shit on it without offering any kind of reasoning or argument. It's pretty telling that more often than not these posts are coming from people brand new accounts or barely any posts, I'm not trying to sound elitist but i don't give a shit how long you've listened, if you start an account expressly to shit on something you can fuck off. (that's not aimed specifically at you gregmsna)

I'll say i wasn't really into this episode for a couple of reasons, one, I miss it anytime there isn't some kind of character, the same way i miss it when they don't play would you rather or some other kind of game. it's not a deal breaker but it'll always be disappointing. but more specifically to the episode i just wasn't that into the whole dynamic, something about scott and ben alone just didn't work for me, maybe it was just to manic and not really about anything, another reason why i think it needed someone else, character or not, to break it up a little. don't get me wrong i love ben schwartz some of his episodes are in my all time favorites (pulled bjork sandwich) and i realy really love when he and scott sing together. I just got tired of it pretty quick but hey, it's a bbbbonuusss ep right?

• Like 1

This is the only part of this message that annoys me. You don't like the episode? Fine. It's the hectoring tone to Scott on some these critical posts that is bothersome.

Nothing wrong with criticism IMO, but there's a way to say something without being rude.

Hectoring? Talking to someone in a bullying way (source: www.google.com)? I said please! I very rarely comment on this (or any) forum, but this is the entire reason they have them: to let them know what's working and what isn't. Download numbers don't really say shit, but telling them "eh, maybe not, guys" does. I wrote my post in the same tone that I would tell a friend to stop staring at these girls I brought to the party, you're really creeping them out. It wasn't trolling, and it definitely wasn't to get into a conversation with THIS guy.

Hectoring? Talking to someone in a bullying way (source: www.google.com)? I said please! I very rarely comment on this (or any) forum, but this is the entire reason they have them: to let them know what's working and what isn't. Download numbers don't really say shit, but telling them "eh, maybe not, guys" does. I wrote my post in the same tone that I would tell a friend to stop staring at these girls I brought to the party, you're really creeping them out. It wasn't trolling, and it definitely wasn't to get into a conversation with THIS guy.

I think this is exactly why there's an issue. you see the forum as that, but I think that a lot of us, I know i do, see the forums as a community of fans that want to get together and talk about something they love and enjoy, that includes discussions and disagreements and shit but you're offering nothing with your post. maybe you should just tweet at scott, it's probably more likely he'll see it

I'm with you on this, but the thing that bugs me the most about all the negative posts is that most of them arn't criticism. they make no points at all, everyone just boils down to "didn't like it!". and that's just useless and negative for no reason, I'll happily out myself as one of the people who didn't really like this episode either, so i can understand the feeling, but what's the point of just coming here to shit on it without offering any kind of reasoning or argument. It's pretty telling that more often than not these posts are coming from people brand new accounts or barely any posts, I'm not trying to sound elitist but i don't give a shit how long you've listened, if you start an account expressly to shit on something you can fuck off. (that's not aimed specifically at you gregmsna)

I'll say i wasn't really into this episode for a couple of reasons, one, I miss it anytime there isn't some kind of character, the same way i miss it when they don't play would you rather or some other kind of game. it's not a deal breaker but it'll always be disappointing. but more specifically to the episode i just wasn't that into the whole dynamic, something about scott and ben alone just didn't work for me, maybe it was just to manic and not really about anything, another reason why i think it needed someone else, character or not, to break it up a little. don't get me wrong i love ben schwartz some of his episodes are in my all time favorites (pulled bjork sandwich) and i realy really love when he and scott sing together. I just got tired of it pretty quick but hey, it's a bbbbonuusss ep right?

Fair enough. I love Scott and Ben, but this episode (well, of what I listened to) felt like they were really just leaning on some pretty easy crutches - fart noises and spontaneous singing, to fill time. If you're into that, then great! If it got better after the first 1/4, then fuck me, I'm an idiot for unplugging. I personally didn't see it getting better from there, especially without anyone else coming on to break it up, so I turned it off. I only wrote how long I've listened to the show to let them know that I'm a fan and not here to just straight up shit on them. I wrote the post because I love the show, and I don't want it to get worse, so I thought I would let them know that.

• Like 1

I think this is exactly why there's an issue. you see the forum as that, but I think that a lot of us, I know i do, see the forums as a community of fans that want to get together and talk about something they love and enjoy, that includes discussions and disagreements and shit but you're offering nothing with your post. maybe you should just tweet at scott, it's probably more likely he'll see it

Anyway, today I was reminded why I don't use internet forums.

Mario-Van-Peebles-SOLO.jpg

Props! Good one... More Solos!

7f_110316_0_SoloMarvel1.jpg

• Like 2

something about scott and ben alone just didn't work for me. . . . don't get me wrong i love ben schwartz some of his episodes are in my all time favorites (pulled bjork sandwich) and i realy really love when he and scott sing together. I just got tired of it pretty quick but hey, it's a bbbbonuusss ep right?

Agreed. Scott and (Adam) Scott on U Talkin'--I could listen to them just dick around for hours. I don't care about U2, but have loved all of the eps of that show. But I didn't feel that same magic in this ep--maybe my expectations were too high.

And I obviously agree that people should be able to voice opinions contrary to the what tends to be general concensus here each week ("this is episode is a contender for best of the year!!!"). They can't all be great--I will still listen to every episode though and I appreciate that these guys work their butts off to provide free comedy each week. But I enjoy coming to the boards to read what other fans honestly thought about a show. I enjoy the debates about certain elements. I enjoy the clarifications of references made in the show. I wouldn't like to just read people quoting episodes and saying that the ep was the best ever each week.

• Like 1

Anyway, today I was reminded why I don't use internet forums.

haha i hear ya, sorry you got ganged up on a bit, i think some of us regular forum readers/posters a kinda sensitive to trolls (or perceived trolls), they pop up a lot, and most don't bother to follow up and make their points like you did (i don't think you're a troll for the record). maybe we're all a little over protective of these silly things we love.

• Like 1

Agreed. Scott and (Adam) Scott on U Talkin'--I could listen to them just dick around for hours. I don't care about U2, but have loved all of the eps of that show. But I didn't feel that same magic in this ep--maybe my expectations were too high.

this was the exact comparison i had in my head too, i think adam scott has a much more dry, low key energy that plays off scott's big enthusiastic persona a lot better, ben brings so much manic energy tp the mix he needs someone more low energy to balance it out, i think thats why the episodes with him against PFT doing werner herzog or him with reggie watts all work so well

• Like 2

when they were trying to think up songs they both knew the lyrics to I was so hoping they would reprise their duet of Skid Row/Star Wars cantina song medley in ep.229.

one of my favorite CBB moments ever. made ever funnier by PFT's incredulity over whether they actually knew all the lyrics.

Here's a stupid question. Do you think they were both deliberately suggesting songs to sing that they didn't know the words to, or was it just a coincidence that they both thought of songs that they didn't actually know very well?

Either way, I enjoyed them both saying 'What about...' then realising that the other didn't know the song or they didn't know it themselves.

• Like 1

Here's a stupid question. Do you think they were both deliberately suggesting songs to sing that they didn't know the words to, or was it just a coincidence that they both thought of songs that they didn't actually know very well?

Either way, I enjoyed them both saying 'What about...' then realising that the other didn't know the song or they didn't know it themselves.

hahaha i don't know but i sure hope so

Man! I really loved this Solo Bolo! I love all of the spontaneous singing.

It's made me want to go back and relisten to all of the Benny Schwass episodes.

• Like 1

Ben needs to appear with Scott on the all-singing Never Not Funny episode that was proposed in today's NNF.

Since the earliest inception of the all musical episode, I felt like just Belknap wouldn't cut it, and it needed to be Pardo, Auks, PFT Shwaz and Gourley for ultimate lyrical satisfaction.

P.S, without any reference, I can deduce with ABSOLUTE certainty that 'solo bolo' was a Benny Shwasse 'joint'.

• Like 2

I love "annnnnd … 10 more minutes". can anybody tell me where that started?

It's certainly anyone's prerogative to dislike whatever episodes they do, but I always think it's weird when someone takes the time to criticize a single episode of a show that's basically unstructured. There's never a huge creative process behind an episode, it's just a bunch of people screwing around and seeing what sticks, and from time to time stuff is bound to not stick. It's the same format that allows for moments of greatness that can result in misfires, so criticizing that seems to me to be kind of strange.

That said, some people here seem to be a mite touchy when it comes to negative posts and could probably benefit from taking it easier.

• Like 3

Ben Schwartz is adorable and hilarious, always a great guest on this show. I really want him to do How Did This Get Made next. Solo Bolos are the best Bolos!

• Like 1

Ok. An attempt to set the record straight, I think Benny came up with the term Solo Bolo in ep.263 27:10. But Scott proposes that Benny come back for a Solo Bolo in the same episode at 46:40. Does anyone remember a mention of Solo Bolo earlier than this? They didn't talk about it in episodes 192 or 229.

I love "annnnnd … 10 more minutes". can anybody tell me where that started?

This was a bit that Ben used to do live, but he mentioned it on CBB (maybe in his first episode?) and Scott loved it. They've been doing it ever since. Ben explains it to Werner Herzog in ep. 229.

• Like 6

Ok. An attempt to set the record straight, I think Benny came up with the term Solo Bolo in ep.263 27:10. But Scott proposes that Benny come back for a Solo Bolo in the same episode at 46:40. Does anyone remember a mention of Solo Bolo earlier than this? They didn't talk about it in episodes 192 or 229.

This was a bit that Ben used to do live, but he mentioned it on CBB (maybe in his first episode?) and Scott loved it. They've been doing it ever since. Ben explains it to Werner Herzog in ep. 229.

^ Now that's a compendium! Way to go, super fan Vigo!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this