🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 285 — Solo Bolo

What is the deal with Solo Bolos? They're great. That's the deal. Seinfeld out.

I love Ben but this confirms that he really needs another guest. Unless he has something to keep him focused, he just keeps going of on tangents. His sexual tension with Bjork needs to be re-explored!

• Like 1

I'll do your podcast advertising survey right now--the majority of your listeners cannot afford to shop from Bonobos or Trunk Club. Even with a discount, most of us don't pay $80 for one pair of pants.

Also, this wasn't the greatest episode. Certainly nothing special or memorable about it. I can only handle so much of Ben Schwartz trying to riff on every other word before I need a PFT or a Daly or an Adomian etc. to come in as a character and do the damn thing. I like Benny Schwazz but this was a little much.

I cannot take the opinions of a man wearing such cheap pants seriously.

• Like 5

I wrote my post in the same tone that I would tell a friend to stop staring at these girls I brought to the party, you're really creeping them out.

Woah, woah, woah, woah...

Hey everybody! This guy brings girls to parties!

• Like 10

Agreed. Scott and (Adam) Scott on U Talkin'--I could listen to them just dick around for hours. I don't care about U2, but have loved all of the eps of that show. But I didn't feel that same magic in this ep--maybe my expectations were too high.

I think it's because I've been listening to so much UTU2TM lately that I'm less thrilled with this Solo Bolo than I wanted to be. If Solo Bolo had come out 6 months ago I would have thought it was the epitome of Scott+one guest ("One-on-Fun"/"Scott 'n' Me") hilarity.

I guess my ultimate guest would be Adam Scott feat. the singing abilities of Benny Schwazz + PFT laughing in the background.

• Like 2

I think it's because I've been listening to so much UTU2TM lately that I'm less thrilled with this Solo Bolo than I wanted to be. If Solo Bolo had come out 6 months ago I would have thought it was the epitome of Scott+one guest ("One-on-Fun"/"Scott 'n' Me") hilarity.

I guess my ultimate guest would be Adam Scott feat. the singing abilities of Benny Schwazz + PFT laughing in the background.

Now I really want an episode with just Adam and Ben. Adam's dryness would counteract Ben's energy. It would be amazing (basically this means Ben needs to guest on UTU2TM even if he knows nothing about U2).

This is a collage of thoughts:

1. Anyone else thought that Benny Swàss was channelling a young Don Dimello during the Chocolate Factory bit? His voice when confessing his allergy to chocolate (19:20) was surely that of the Dark Lord himself. Hail!

2. I wonder if the non-solo bolo eps (episodes) of Marc Marón and Seth Rogen were actually accidental bolos. I'm pretty sure that Marón's ego leaves no space for another person even in the biggest of Earwolf studios...

3. Scott has certain guests that he shares specific chemistry with. Like with PFT it's the character arcs, with Zouks it's the perversion, and then House of Pies' star, Benny Swàss puts the conversation in overdrive. I can see how some folk might not enjoy this scattered all-over-the-place type of comedy but I abolosololutely love it!

4. I realise that most of you reside in the US but for us non-US listeners, most ads are dead air since we can't use make use of the discounts even if we wanted to—except perhaps the ones for website builders.

5. I can buy $80 pants. In fact I'm so rich that I've already sent my $2000 check to the Scotts, together with my last year's tax return and bank statement. #talking'boutmoney

• Like 6

This is a collage of thoughts:

2. I wonder if the non-solo bolo eps (episodes) of Marc Marón and Seth Rogen were actually accidental bolos. I'm pretty sure that Marón's ego leaves no space for another person even in the biggest of Earwolf studios...

I believe Scott said in his AMA that the second guests canceled on him for Maron and Rogen and just did the one on ones.

This episode was such a joy and I hope we get more bonus bolo's. You really do get to see a whole different, wackier side of Scott.

I feel like the haters scared off Lil Gary and probably Jukebox Jury already, which are understandable. But I will not tolerate solo bolo hatred! Let them try it a few times and maybe we will get some new games or running gags out of it.

• Like 2

I'll do your podcast advertising survey right now--the majority of your listeners cannot afford to shop from Bonobos or Trunk Club. Even with a discount, most of us don't pay $80 for one pair of pants.

To be clear, the following post is earnest and not intended to be inflammatory...also, I don't work for Bonobos

I live well below the poverty line as a graduate student. Even I can budget a new pair of pants every once in a while. Unless you exclusively shop at thrift stores, a decent set of new pants could easily run you 80 dollars. After looking through some of the results from the survey it seems like a lot of us are on serious budgets, so all I'm saying is treat yo self occasionally. A well-fitting set of pants is worth the money. Cornballs, I will buy you some Bonobos pants if you really don't think they are worth it.

• Like 1

I feel like the haters scared off Lil Gary and probably Jukebox Jury already, which are understandable. But I will not tolerate solo bolo hatred! Let them try it a few times and maybe we will get some new games or running gags out of it.

Agreed! I feel like people have forgotten how much shit/hate that Harris Wittels got. He deserved a small amount of it because of how painful his stuff is, but we otherwise couldn't have gotten Farts and Procreation 1 or maybe even U Talkin U2 2 Me

Without Scott trying out new stuff and pairings we wouldn't have gotten Garry Marshall/Gilly, Werner Hertz/Benny Schwazz, Wompler/Listler/Barteromo, the Calvins Twins, etc.

I don't care if every episode "isn't gold" because I feel that each episode has at least led to brand new collaborations/friendships/laughs.

• Like 1

I believe Scott said in his AMA that the second guests canceled on him for Maron and Rogen and just did the one on ones.

This episode was such a joy and I hope we get more bonus bolo's. You really do get to see a whole different, wackier side of Scott.

Rogen's second guest was supposed to be Huskey. They even said it on the episode.

• Like 1

One of my favorite episodes to date! Does anyone know of the JJ Abrams blurb they talked about? What show was this on?

Cheers and keep on rockin' it Earwolf!

-d

One of my favorite episodes to date! Does anyone know of the JJ Abrams blurb they talked about? What show was this on?

Cheers and keep on rockin' it Earwolf!

-d

Benny Schwazz has a show at the UCB in LA called Snowpants. He brings on famous folks who have never done improv and veteran UCB people.

http://losangeles.ucbtheatre.com/shows/view/2958

I've seen pictures on Instagram with Blake Griffin (Clippers, NBA) and Craig Ferguson [ Blake Griffin, Craig Ferguson, Ben Schwartz, Joe Wenger, and Thomas Middleditch in Snowpants #blakegriffin #clippers #craigferguson #lateshowwithcraigferguson #benschwartz #joewenger #thomasmiddleditch

Justin Long, Michael C Hall (Dexter), JJ Abrams, Craig Ferguson, and the craziest get of all Jane Fonda.

From what I understand a lot of people on the show he gets to know secondhand and really loves bringing new people on so who knows who else will be there.

• Like 1

.15eep35.jpg

I made the mistake of listening to this in public. Walked around grinning like an idiot and occasionally barking with laughter. MIJMBFM, this episode is probably an early contender for episode of the year.

Have to admit I went in with low expectations because I love the three guest format, and I was just loving every minute of the podcast. The farting during songs bit was just stupid fun. Ben comes off as one of the nicest and funniest guys in the world. I wish we all had Ben Schwarz best friends in our lives!

This episode was hilarious!

Can we get a Benny Schwaz and Zouks episode together?

I hate to post something negative with my first post on the site but Scott did say he wanted to know what people thought of this episode. I have to say it was hands-down the worst CBB episode I have ever listened to.

One maxim about comedy I have normally found to be true is that if it sounds like the performers are having a great old time then the audience probably isn't. This show was just sounded like two mates in a room being extremely silly, with no direction or purpose. Which was obviously great fun for them, but not so much for me.

What is great about CBB is the characters they come up with and the weird and outlandish places good improvisation takes them. This requires structure and creativity, not just random stupidity, never managing to stay on one topic for more than about 5 secs - and the singing - please stop singing :)

I just found it very self-indulgent and I had to force myself to get through the show.

I hope this doesn't come off as too mean, I really love the podcast normally. Also I don't mean to tell you how to do comedy just I noticed people complaining about criticism without explanation earlier in the thread so I thought I'd elaborate a bit.

I hate to post something negative with my first post on the site but Scott did say he wanted to know what people thought of this episode. I have to say it was hands-down the worst CBB episode I have ever listened to.

One maxim about comedy I have normally found to be true is that if it sounds like the performers are having a great old time then the audience probably isn't. This show was just sounded like two mates in a room being extremely silly, with no direction or purpose. Which was obviously great fun for them, but not so much for me.

What is great about CBB is the characters they come up with and the weird and outlandish places good improvisation takes them. This requires structure and creativity, not just random stupidity, never managing to stay on one topic for more than about 5 secs - and the singing - please stop singing :)

I just found it very self-indulgent and I had to force myself to get through the show.

I hope this doesn't come off as too mean, I really love the podcast normally. Also I don't mean to tell you how to do comedy just I noticed people complaining about criticism without explanation earlier in the thread so I thought I'd elaborate a bit.

Counterpoint: U Talkin' U2 To Me is the epitome of 2 bros just talkin' bout U ... one sec.... 2, and having a great time. And I'm pretty sure that everyone who has listened to that has enjoyed the ever loving shit out of it. But maybe theres something about the format of that (or a loose central conceit that they eventually circle back to) that grounds it a bit more for the audience?

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I can understand your point, I just wanted to point that as an example where I think the performers are having fun (at least it sounds like they are) and we are in on it.

"Do you still sleep head-to-toe with your grandfather?"

Amazing. This is the finest solo bolo, and one of my top 5 favourite eps of all time!

every podcast ben shwartz touches turns to gold

makes sense one with just him and scott would be one of the best ive ever heard

out of hundreds of CBBs listened to, this stands as top 10 of ALL TIME for me.

need more or this. seems like you two are pretty much best friends anyways afterwards :D

Sign in to follow this