🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

Armageddon (1998)

I have not seen this movie since it came out on VHS and it is crazier than I remember. Some stray observations:

- I want someone to tally up the number of times you hear the "woosh" sound in space, I bet it's at least 3 wooshes per minute. At least. And only about 3/5ths of the movie takes place in space.

- And the explosions? Good lord. I know this is Michael Bay, but rocks will smash into each other and explode like they're made out of flint and filled with gunpowder.

- How much of this movie is slow motion? As it is the movie is 2 & 1/2 hours, but if you played all of the footage at normal speed you could probably cut 45 minutes off the running time.

This was one of the most predictable movies I'd ever seen, as I pretty much knew the exact story beats and when they'd happen, but holy shit did it take it a long time to get there. Also, in true early Michael Bay fashion (see also: The Rock, which I actually love), it takes nearly half of the very long movie to get the actual plot moving, and when it does, it's such a mess to follow. Like Lando, I don't think I've seen this in it's entirety since the days of VHS, but I've seen this movie without seeing this EXACT movie quite a few times already.

• Like 1

Oh I know. The whole movie is filled with scenes of "We need to do X" [starts trying to do X] "OH NO OUR Y IS BROKEN! WE CAN'T DO X" [Ends up doing X in an unconventional way]. It wears down your ability to care about the outcome of a situation when you know everything is at super high stake, but yet nothing is really at that high of stake.

Tangent: What I love about Game of Thrones is that it doesn't follow this conventional storytelling formula. A beloved character gets themselves into a tight situation? There's a pretty good chance that they're not magically making it out alive. Game of Thrones is very much the antithesis of the Michael Bay philosophy of film making.

• Like 2

Yeah, you know you're in for something when a film posits that it's easier to teach drillers to be astronauts than teach astronauts to drill, mostly based on the principal of, "Fuck you -- No it isn't!" But it's one of the most fun-stupid movies out there.

• Like 4

Bumpin' this!

Please cover this movie soon so I can hear a breakdown of "space dementia". That is all I want.

Only if Mike Nelson is the guest. I feel that he is the only person alive who can properly make sense of the Animal Cracker/belly button scene in this film.

• Like 1

bump, just saw this for the first time and it was SO over the top and SO fun! The only downside came later when I realized there was no episode of HDTGM to listen to, I was so sure this movie would have been done already.

Sign in to follow this