🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar Sniffer

The Raid 2: For fuck's sake

Excuse my language, but holy shit you guys, this movie is incredible. I saw it at an independent theater a couple weeks ago and it blew my mind. I wasn't even that much of a fan of the first Raid (although fun, I thought it suffered from a lot of similar-looking fight scenes that became monotonous towards the end), but the sequel is one of my favorites of the year.

So why recommend it? Because it is batshit fucking insane! It has some of the madcap disregard for reality and exaltation of violence that the Crank movies do, but it's also artfully shot, done with exquisite fight choreography, and attempts to tell an emotional story. It's all over the place, well over two hours long, and worth every second. There are deaf assassins, death-by-baseballs, piles of dead bodies, wacky stereotypes, and things done to the human body that no being made of flesh could possibly withstand. It's more ridiculous than the Fast and Furious runway chase and I love it.

I also find director/screenwriter Garth Evans really interesting because he's this Welsh-born filmmaker who has immersed himself in the Indonesian film industry and culture and turned out this epic martial arts crime films.

• Like 2

This movie was amazing. It added such a story, that while familiar at times, seemed fresh. The fight scenes were so fluid and unlike anything I've seen in a very long time. One of the best reviews I read basically said that the last 45 minutes should just be called "Boss Fight: the Movie," which is so true. And for a 2hr 30min movie, it doesn't feel like it which is always a big plus.

• Like 2

I preferred the original, frankly. It just seems weird to go from that movie (which is like 5% exposition and 95% ass-kicking) to this movie with a somewhat complex plot.

Also, the fight in the kitchen near the end had me honestly wondering how neither of those guys had so much as passed out from blood loss.

I preferred the original, frankly. It just seems weird to go from that movie (which is like 5% exposition and 95% ass-kicking) to this movie with a somewhat complex plot.

Also, the fight in the kitchen near the end had me honestly wondering how neither of those guys had so much as passed out from blood loss.

Because fuck logic, that's why.

• Like 1

That could be the subtitle to about 90% of this movie. Slip-and-slide-in-the-mud prison brawl? Sure, why not!?!?

Sign in to follow this