🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 86 — Ernest Goes To Jail

It annoys me so much when they analyze a silly movie like the movie isn't intentionally silly. "Oh, so the laws of gravity don't apply to him?" Yeah, it's supposed to be silly, you goddamn weirdo. I remember this happening a lot in Jingle All the Way where I was just yelling at my computer "Yeah, that's the joke!"

I thought this movie was great. Ernest is wonderful and loveable and a dummy.

Oh my god in Ernest Scared Stupid when Ernest says "I guess there's nothing in that bag for me" I cry every fucking time. If you don't like Ernest, I don't like you.

whoa dude, chill out

• Like 6

So, about a year back, I met Richard Speight Jr., who played one of the bullies in Ernest Goes to Camp. I asked him if he had any anecdotes about working with Jim Varney. He said that he didn't interact much with him offscreen, as the kids mostly hung out with each other, and the adults did their own thing. But one day between takes, he was sitting down, and Jim Varney sat down next to him. And after a few seconds of awkward silence, Jim Varney gave him an amazing bit of unsolicited advice. He said, "Hey kid, if you're ever in a knife fight, slash, don't stab. A man can't fight back if he's holding his belly together."

Holy fuck why couldn't there have been a Shit My Dad Says style of book based on Varney?

• Like 2

It annoys me so much when they analyze a silly movie like the movie isn't intentionally silly. "Oh, so the laws of gravity don't apply to him?" Yeah, it's supposed to be silly, you goddamn weirdo. I remember this happening a lot in Jingle All the Way where I was just yelling at my computer "Yeah, that's the joke!"

Oh my god in Ernest Scared Stupid when Ernest says "I guess there's nothing in that bag for me" I cry every fucking time. If you don't like Ernest, I don't like you.

I bet you write a lot of 5 star reviews on Amazon, don't you?

• Like 9

Iiiiii... kind of know what you mean? Like there was a joke in Superman III, when the evil businessman guy told Richard Pryor "I ask you to kill Superman, and you're telling me you couldn't even do that one, simple thing.". I thought that joke was really funny and it made me laugh. Then in the show Jason went: "This is SUPERMAN, Gus is RICHARD PRYOR!" and I thought... "yeah, that's the whole point of the joke in the movie and it's funny"... Same thing with all the Hudson Hawk moments of intentional cartoony silliness. It works when a joke is shitty and doesn't land and the guys accent on that but when they don't treat the joke as a joke it... just... kind of doesn't. Not very eloquent, I know but you get what I mean.

Still, I wouldn't get all emotional about it like you did though. I still love the podcast, I don't think things like that take away from the quality. The guys can't be all perfect all the time, they make a lot of errors (that's why we have the corrections and omissions) and in fact I often disagree with them. I don't think the point of the show is for them to present a well formulated, deep critical analysis, I think a HUGE part of the appeal is the guys' frustration when trey try and figure out what the fuck is going on, also the chemistry between them.

• Like 1

That is the joke. On the podcast I mean. Applying reality to the events of the movies they watch is the fundamental premise of the show, and it's hilarious.

• Like 1

I have an explanation hope for what is a joke

• Like 3

Re- diagnosing Ernest: I haven't seen an Ernest movie in two decades, but from the description it sounds like some sort of developmental disorder with a schizoid or schizotypal personality disorder. Odd, eccentric, poor social interaction, magical thinking.

That is the joke. On the podcast I mean. Applying reality to the events of the movies they watch is the fundamental premise of the show, and it's hilarious.

I guess thats how "How Did This Get Made?" gets made... ;)

• Like 1

Ernest is very intelligent, but his intelligence is hindered by his lack of self-esteem. Bad Ernest is what Good Ernest would be with confidence but lacking Good Ernest's moral compass.

You see a glimpse of confident Good Ernest when he gets the special powers.

Look who was up front watching St. Paul and the Broken Bones. Ernest Goest To Bonnaroo.

10455589_653297861431539_2989789458248764053_n.jpg

Your dated "generation X" style of berating Ernest makes you look even more outdated, and goddamn you all have the most annoying fucking douchebag "I'M IN THE BIIIZZ" LA shithead voices I've ever heard. I listen to this show as some odd anomoly of what delusional asswipes do in their spare time to impress each other and "advace my careeerr"

Your dated "generation X" style of berating Ernest makes you look even more outdated, and goddamn you all have the most annoying fucking douchebag "I'M IN THE BIIIZZ" LA shithead voices I've ever heard. I listen to this show as some odd anomoly of what delusional asswipes do in their spare time to impress each other and "advace my careeerr"

are you doing a character? cause it's not working

• Like 2

are you doing a character? cause it's not working

I think he was in earnest.

• Like 4

Now I want to recategorise some of the podcasts on my Itunes.

'Podcasts to Listen To as Some Odd Anomoly of What Delusional Asswipes do in their Spare Time to Impress Each Other And "Advace My Careeerr"'

Can you please tell what else fits this bracket?

• Like 2

12c.jpg

• Like 1

So just for the shitz and giggles let's pitch some" if Jim Varney was still alive and making movies.." team up ideas

I will get the ball rolling.

1. Ernest marry's Big Mama

2. Ernest vs Godzilla

3. Ernest meets the muppets

How would you pitch these ideas as if your life depended on getting the movie made?

• Like 1

I decided to check out Ernest Goes To Africa...

Remember when they said it's not as racist as you would expect.... wellllllllll.......

...i disagree.

I am sad that the world will never get to see "Ernest Gump." It could have been JV's Oscar bid. I know I would have liked it better than the original.

I watched this movie solely on the recommendation to see hot Evil Ernest and I was not at all disappointed, thanks Lesley and June. It was worth it.

God dammit, this may have been my favorite, if not in the top three, episodes of HDtGM. When the ladies revealed that evil Ernest was sexy, I almost dropped a hammer on my toe. Mind you, I was nowhere near a hammer and made it half way to the tool box before I realized I was being possessed by disbelief, but I digress.

Before listening to this, my reality was entirely different. I'd yet to analyze how stupid this character is and my memory of him (which was fond) was locked away in the back of my mind. I actually watched the TV show, most of the movies, laughed at the commercials. Such disillusion!