๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 13 โ€” No Line on the Horizon

To me the most interesting phenomenon of this show is that, while this latest ep has inspired me to revisit Billy Joel's early catalog, it has in no way whatsoever compelled me to revisit U2's post-Zooropa material.

ย 

I checked out on them after my disappointment with Pop, which I saw live, and everything since then has bored me. I do believe Scott and Scott have been far too kind to all of their later albums, severely diluting the value of the term "great song."

ย 

But thanks for piquing my Billy Joel resurgence. Maybe I'll go back to Huey Lewis next (my first concert was HL & the News with Bruce Hornsby opening!). But not U2.

ย 

Be sure to revisit Billy Joel's punk album Glass Houses.

• Like 1

Can't believe after almost four years of listening to various Earwolf shows, this is the one that got me to register an account on the forum. Originally I wasn't even going to listen to the show, since I don't care much about the lads from Liverpool, but there was a week when several of the podcasts I listen to either skipped an episode or had uninteresting guests and I thought I'd try this U2 thing. Now I listen to each episode at least three times, can't wait for the new one (and now that I know sometimes it drops at 11:59, I know I'll be refreshing my episode list early next week).

ย 

My U2 story, I have about 4000 songs on the mp3 player I keep in the car. Usually I pick an album or artist to listen to for a few days, then switch, but sometimes I just put it on random shuffle for the whole library of songs. I did that this week, and on the first day, the two U2 songs I thought I had (a live "Pride" from a benefit album and the cover of Woody Guthrie's "Jesus Christ" from the FOLKWAYS album) both came up about an hour apart. I felt like saying to my car, "Hey, U talkin' U2 to me?". An aside, one time those songs were both on a playlist I had, I made the joke that they were my two favourite U2 songs until I realized that Bono probably thinks they're both about him.

ย 

Anyway, two days later, still on random shuffle, after a classic Rush song (insert 10 minute digression about Rush that would make Scott choke on his pretzel), I hear the distinctive guitar stylings of Thedge, which confused me since I know I only had those two U2 songs. I'd forgotten that the lads play on Robbie Robertson's "Sweet Fire Of Love" from his first solo album, produced by Daniel Lanois (fortunately it doesn't sound like old sourpuss was involved).

ย 

I don't know what the odds are, but it's got to be slim that the three U2 songs out of a 4000 song library come up with the first few hours of random playback, especially while I'm also listening to this podcast about half the time I'm out of the car.

• Like 2

You talkin' Foo Fighters to me?!? http://www.avclub.co...2s-disco-204670

ย 

This podcast is slowly taking over the world. (By world I mean the AV Club comment board)

ย 

Yesss! And the interview talked about times when Taylor and the interviewer were little boys (who presumably wanted to be big boys), though no mention of how many members of U2 there are or their names/instruments.

You talkin' Foo Fighters to me?!? http://www.avclub.com/article/foo-fighters-taylor-hawkins-why-he-hates-u2s-disco-204670

ย 

This podcast is slowly taking over the world. (By world I mean the AV Club comment board)

ย 

Are Foo talkin' U2 to me?

ย 

My U2 story, I have about 4000 songs on the mp3 player I keep in the car. Usually I pick an album or artist to listen to for a few days, then switch, but sometimes I just put it on random shuffle for the whole library of songs. I did that this week, and on the first day, the two U2 songs I thought I had (a live "Pride" from a benefit album and the cover of Woody Guthrie's "Jesus Christ" from the FOLKWAYS album) both came up about an hour apart. I felt like saying to my car, "Hey, U talkin' U2 to me?". An aside, one time those songs were both on a playlist I had, I made the joke that they were my two favourite U2 songs until I realized that Bono probably thinks they're both about him.

ย 

Anyway, two days later, still on random shuffle, after a classic Rush song (insert 10 minute digression about Rush that would make Scott choke on his pretzel), I hear the distinctive guitar stylings of Thedge, which confused me since I know I only had those two U2 songs. I'd forgotten that the lads play on Robbie Robertson's "Sweet Fire Of Love" from his first solo album, produced by Daniel Lanois (fortunately it doesn't sound like old sourpuss was involved).

ย 

I don't know what the odds are, but it's got to be slim that the three U2 songs out of a 4000 song library come up with the first few hours of random playback, especially while I'm also listening to this podcast about half the time I'm out of the car.

ย 

Car, you talkin' U2 to me?

• Like 2

Can't believe after almost four years of listening to various Earwolf shows, this is the one that got me to register an account on the forum.

ย 

Same here. The fact that I like this podcast so much that I registered for the forum makes me worry about my own mental health. And I'll probably spend this weekend re-listening to a few episodes, which can't possibly be a good sign.

ย 

The ironic thing is that this show has gotten me to listen to Huey Lewis and the News, Chicago, and Billy Joel and I even watched that entire 3-hour Eagles documentary, but I'm still not listening to U2.

ย 

I also tried to leave a comment on the NY TImes Magazine article about Scott, it was something along the lines of "This is the worst article about U2 that I've ever read, it's just some guy talking about his life." But, strangely, the NY Times didn't get my clever reference to the U Talkin' U2 to Me iTunes reviews and refused to publish it.

• Like 2

Made you bros some shoes, I will be sending em out Tuesday,

IMG_4390_zps46047413.jpg

ย 

IMG_4373_zpse97bed25.jpg

You rule dudes!

• Like 8

This podcast runs my life. I was innocently listening to Girl Talk, when this track came on:

ย 

ย 

As soon as around 3:55 or so came on, I immediately wondered if Scott and Scott would approve.

• Like 1

Listening to Kulap and Naomi complain about the Scotts would be wonderful. I want this to happen almost as much as I want the Staind Glass episode to happen.

ย 

Be sure to revisit Billy Joel's punk album Glass Houses.

ย 

ย 

Staind Glass Houses... now THAT would be a podcast.

ย 

todd-glass_3.jpg

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

I may be wrong, but... it's been awhile.

• Like 3

Made you bros some shoes, I will be sending em out Tuesday,

ย 

U talkin' new U2 shoes to me?

• Like 1

I'd love to see PFT, Jimmy Pardo, and Harris Wittels do their own You talkin you talking U2 to me to me? podcast where they discuss the Scott's take on U2 and their experiences on the show.

Also, I'd love to hear some cuts from Scott's former band, upload to soundcloud?

ย 

intriguing. i hope it's super serious college rock, inspired by scritti politti, mayhaps?

ย 

please share any info you may have and then the boards will collectively begin a podcast called 'u talkin scottabot 2 me?' to discuss each track.

The bit where Scott & Scott talk about U2 fans dying reminded me of this joke told by Robin Williams in the "We Are Most Amused" Gala circa 2008/2009 I read that Jimmy Carr told that joke first...

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8CEBOHmEbk

Spent all morning at work re-listening to the begining to make a playlist of all the Billy Joel songs discussed. Here's the playlist if anyone is interested. Hoping all that work was not in vain, my job paid me good money to do this:

ย 

Scott and Scott's Billy Joel Mix

ย 

Thanks! Going through the playlist now. Haven't really listened to Billy Joel (he's not that big here in Greece I guess) but I like it a lot. Zanzibar is such great song writing, even better uh... rock and roll, music than U2!

ย 

Actually, in a more serious note (pun intended) I went into this not caring about U2 and, giving them a second chance in the course of this comprehensive and encyclopaedic compendium of all things U2, I now actively dislike them. But I've grown fond of Huey Lewis and Billy Joel and also learned to love film as well as better handling my financials, so it's a profitable experience in total.

As much delightful nonsense that occurs in each episode, I have to say I'm learning so much about this band I've followed my whole life. Who knew an Earwolf program could be funny and informative?

On this one, Scott (not sure how to specify which one here...) mentions a couple of live CBBs in New York and that those will eventually be released, including one where PFT gives Scott undue shit for not showing up and then proceeds to do multiple characters in addition to himself.

ย 

Just wanna say, I'm excited to hear that whenever it does come out.

Spent all morning at work re-listening to the begining to make a playlist of all the Billy Joel songs discussed. Here's the playlist if anyone is interested. Hoping all that work was not in vain, my job paid me good money to do this:

ย 

Scott and Scott's Billy Joel Mix

ย 

ย 

I came here just for this - thank you so much!