🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 288 — Back to Barz, Back to Reality

The sklar brothers are an embarrassment to the flagship of modern comedy, wake the fuck up Scott.

can somebody delete this guy? there sould be a no-tolerance policy on lonely, friendless people looking to take out their hostility towards the world on a message board.

• Like 1

I like the Sklar Bros but I do think it's kind of grating when they interrupt constantly, like if Scotty is asking them a question they'll start talking over him before the question is even out. They're good sports (get it?!) though.

Horatio is simply the best.

I'm a sad, rude, unfunny person who get a kick out of throwing up negative reviews about funny, successful comedians on Earwolf forums. God, I'm really just awful.

Yeah, we know man.

• Like 2

How a Horatio Sanz episode didn't make the Best of... last year is beyond me. I never really realized how funny the guy was until I started listening to CBB!, and boy do I feel sheepish. And he's killing it in 2014 so far. Heck, he was even able to save the train wreck that was Nubile Agape at the end of last year.

• Like 1

How a Horatio Sanz episode didn't make the Best of... last year is beyond me. I never really realized how funny the guy was until I started listening to CBB!, and boy do I feel sheepish. And he's killing it in 2014 so far. Heck, he was even able to save the train wreck that was Nubile Agape at the end of last year.

Nubile Agape was an amazing episode IMO. Shelby, Kulap, Horatio and Scott created a really fun atmosphere on Tandy ep.

Nubile Agape was an amazing episode IMO. Shelby, Kulap, Horatio and Scott created a really fun atmosphere on Tandy ep.

Fair enough. For me, I just don't get the appeal of Shelby and the "I don't know what that is because I'm young!" routine. I thought everyone else was good enough, but I guess she doesn't have much else in her arsenal because she's so young. But Sanz took it to a new level. Cocoa buuuuuttaaaahhh

Regardless, I think the Ben Schwartz and Horatio Sanz episode has to be kind of near the top for me. Not my overall favorite CBB! of the year, but probably my favorite Sanz appearance, even though I liked how game Jim O'Heir was game for whatever.

• Like 1

For me, I just don't get the appeal of Shelby and the "I don't know what that is because I'm young!" routine.

Less a routine and more she is actually very young and may not have known what certain things are yet, which led to great ribbing by Scott & Co, who were more than glad to take hilarious potshots at Shelby's knowledge gaps despite her youthful successes. Google her stand up if you're looking for her actual routines.

• Like 1

Less a routine and more she is actually very young and may not have known what certain things are yet, which led to great ribbing by Scott & Co, who were more than glad to take hilarious potshots at Shelby's knowledge gaps despite her youthful successes. Google her stand up if you're looking for her actual routines.

To each their own. I think her stand-up is pretty mediocre, and her shtick on Analyze Fish, Fogelnest Files, and CBB! was how she doesn't know things because she's young. I guess I just don't think it's funny because I've heard of things older than me. Some people think she's great, and I'm just not one of them.

Just like some think Sanz is a god amongst mortals when featured, and others don't. I think we can all get along here in disagreement. Unless you don't think Tiny Cheeseburger Story is the best episode since last year's poll closed :)

• Like 1

To each their own. I think her stand-up is pretty mediocre, and her shtick on Analyze Fish, Fogelnest Files, and CBB! was how she doesn't know things because she's young. I guess I just don't think it's funny because I've heard of things older than me. Some people think she's great, and I'm just not one of them.

My point was she is ACTUALLY young, and even the smartest 20 year-olds are relatively inexperienced.

The fact that you consider this behavior routine/shtick is what I am addressing. You don't get why people 'like' this 'shtick'; this comic 'routine.' Routine is a manner in which someone deals with something, like, say, every so often, someone older than you can't believe you've never heard of something that they consider common knowledge. You may have a fine-tuned response to that, sharpened from previous conversations of the same nature, and so you break the faux-tension with the 'routine,'-- the comedic response-- and then the conversation continues. Conversation is not a 'routine'. She's not trying to fool anyone, like she does know what everything is but plays dumb. THAT would be a routine.

I have no opinion of Shelby's stand-up. I've not seen enough of it. The fact that you find it mediocre is not surprising. She's been doing it for probably two to three years, and you don't seem to like her anyway. My point was, again, that if you're looking for SHTICK— a comedic routine— then that is stand-up. Conversations by their nature are not shtick or routine unless the participants are not being authentic.

EDIT: Regarding Nubile Agape specifically, the first segment with Shelby and Kulap consisted of a few moments wherein Scott poked fun at her for her lack of knowledge when it comes to SAG and the WGA (you know, those things that everybody knows everything about). The other moment worthy of mention was the brief aside when Shelby was not sure she used 'nubile' correctly. By the time Aaron Neville shows up, Scott has already made it a running joke to make fun of Shelby for her age, which he and Aaron do continuously, and THAT is shtick, i.e. running 'bits.'

With all the old references, I wanted to chant "OLD-ER, OLD-ER, OLD-ER" like "SLOW-ER, SLOW-ER, SLOW-ER" on Cheap Seats :P

I enjoy old references, and then the calling out of them as well.

• Like 2

I actually prefer Sanz on Improv 4 Humans. Not that his characters aren't funny on CBB, but for me they tend to be hilarious out of the gate but then I find myself getting confused as everything gets so complicated. Sometimes my mind drifts. Whereas with Improv 4 Humans it's just lots of crazy characters rapidfire so I find myself laughing a lot more.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative--just saying why although I think Sanz is funny on CBB, he isn't quite top 10 material. I'm sorry, it's just that the bar is set so high by everyone else! I actually do laugh a lot when Sanz is on, it's just the difference between laughing a lot and spending almost the whole episode laughing so hard I feel like I'm going to pass out.

The one exception, though, was Nubile Agape which did have me cracking up almost constantly.

• Like 1

I hope this doesn't come across as negative--just saying why although I think Sanz is funny on CBB, he isn't quite top 10 material. I'm sorry, it's just that the bar is set so high by everyone else!

I think he at least deserves to hit the top 15. I love love love me some PFT, but he had something like 9 episodes in the top 15 last year.

I can definitely agree that it was too PFT heavy last year. Of course I love the guy, but give attention to some of the other great comedians already, right?

• Like 1

Yep, same here.

*'Casually' whistling and looking away from trolls*

Took me roughly the same amount of time to get it.

Me too.

Horatio is in my top ten, definitely. Him and Ben Schwartz are great together. Ben is probably the best with the all the characters, I think. Gillian is pretty great, too. I listened to the one with her and the giant from Bigton the other day. Hilarious.

• Like 1

Horatio is in my top ten, definitely. Him and Ben Schwartz are great together. Ben is probably the best with the all the characters, I think. Gillian is pretty great, too. I listened to the one with her and the giant from Bigton the other day. Hilarious.

And of course Gilly was perfect in the Andi Calahan episode as well.

• Like 1

I totally am an urban farmer, and I was listening to this podcost while working (doing bookkeeping, not on a tractor). And I almost did yell at the computer when they started speculating about whether anyone has ever eaten a rooster!

i love this episode and i've listened 3 times. one of the all-time great WYR intros.