🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
KrazyJoeFiore

Ernest Goes to Jail Corrections & Ommissions

Gailard Sartain and Bill Byrge created the characters of Chuck and Bobby in a series of "Me and my brother, Bobby" tv commercials for Carden and Cherry's ad agency.

The character of Vern whom Ernest would speak to in the Ernest TV commercials was only featured in one of the films, 'Ernest Saves Christmas'.

In one of the five star reviews from Amazon, one of the reviewers mentioned that scenes were cut from the DVD that were on his VHS tape. These scenes included a conjugal visit with Mr. Nash's girlfriend, and a different ending. The reviewer must have taped the film off of NBC. These scenes that he mentioned were NOT from the final theatrical cut of the film. They were deleted scenes that were re-added into the film when NBC aired it. The theatrical cut, and the DVDs always ended with "I came, I saw, I got Blow'd up.",

How did you guys fail to mention that really weird 'Coconut Tree Climbing' song that Chuck & Bobby were listening to in the bank? Man, that song was weird.

Jim Varney was originally cast to play Stan Laurel opposite Gailard Sartain's Oliver Hardy in 'The All New Adventures of Laurel & Hardy in 'For Love or Mummy'. He was forced to bow out due to poor health.

Ernest Rides Again was about Ernest riding down a hill on the back of a runaway cannon while people chase him. It was painful.

• Like 1

This isn't really a correction or omission, just an addition to what the hosts were saying about Jim Varney being a talented and versatile actor. When I re-watched 'Ernest Scared Stupid' a couple years ago, finding it disturbingly abysmal, there was one scene that struck me as pretty remarkable. For very little reason, Ernest turns to the camera and delivers this long monologue about a fictional historical battle with the "Ottomans" in Botswana, doing some random costume changes in the process. I don't know why he chose the Ottoman Empire to riff off of, because everything he says is totally made up, but the speech is insane. Varney manages to be both completely Ernest while still sounding erudite and knowledgeable about the battle... which is fictional. I mean, one of the costumes changes he does makes him look like the long lost brother of Bob and Doug McKenzie and then he proclaims himself to be a "Botswanian lumberjack." It's fucking nuts, and made even more insane by the terribly edited reaction shots of an equally terrible child actor.

This thing. What the fuck?

• Like 1

Guys you have to check this out. Gailard Sartain who is in the Ernest films was in a local access sketch show here in Tulsa Oklahoma when my dad was a teenager in the 70s with GARY BUSEY! Busey played a character called Teddy Jack Eddie. One of my fave skits was spam sculpting. Sartain is also a good poster artist and does a lot of work for charities in town. You can read about the sketch show, which was called Mazzepa Pompazoodi: The uncanny film festival and camp meeting at this link http://www.mazeppa.com/about_the_show.html

Sign in to follow this