🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 14 — Staind Glass

I love that the Scotts had Todd doing "it's been awhile" even though he didn't have a clue what it referenced.

• Like 4

Oh and even though I love Mr Aukserman, I must take issue with his assertion that 1989/1990 were terrible years for music.

1989 alone had Doolitle by the Pixies, Disintegration by the Cure, Stone Roses self-titled, Cosmic Thing by the B-52s and Automatic by Jesus & Mary Chain. Oh and a little-known soundtrack by Prince called BATMAN!

If this episode wasn't so amazing I would have to declare it non-canonical.

• Like 5

I'm not a regular listener of Todd's podcast (the episode lengths give You Made It Weird a run for it's money) but every appearance by PFT, Adomian, Kindler, Kirkman, and Fogelnest, and Pepitone I listen to.

This is totally off topic, but if anyone wants to recommend any other good episodes, please do!

I also really like Henry Phillips on Todd's show. And I highly HIGHLY recommend Henry's web-series Henry's Kitchen where he plays a sad, pathetic, single guy with a poorly produced cooking show and makes terrible food. It's fucking genius:

• Like 2

Another cool thing: Scott played the theme from Happy Days and they discussed the show a bunch. Then later, the song "Buddy Holly" which of course had the Happy Days-themed video. And continued the chain with an actual Buddy Holly song. Pretty rad. #Illuminati

Yes, that was great.

One of my favorite things about that segment was finding out some of the very old and/or completely ridiculous stuff Scott has in his iTunes. "Wipeout" by the Fat Boys?! And Scott didn't even do his classic guitar riff!

• Like 2

I also really like Henry Phillips on Todd's show. And I highly HIGHLY recommend Henry's web-series Henry's Kitchen where he plays a sad, pathetic, single guy with a poorly produced cooking show and makes terrible food. It's fucking genius:

I can second Henry Phillips' appearances. I tried to keep up with Todd's show, but they are very long episodes and I have so many subscriptions that they would start piling up in my podcast queue and give me anxiety. So now I check in every month or so to see who has guested, then download at my leisure.

Regarding the recognizable, guaranteed good time guests (Kirkman, Adomian, PFT, etc) vs other lesser-known but definitely talented guests, the chances of missing a Henry Phillips are high if you're not regularly listening. I won't recognize certain names and skip the episodes. But when I was cold-listening to the show as a subscriber, sometimes there would be insane nuggets of comedic gold in there that would have otherwise never been heard. It's bitter fruit, knowing such hilarity awaits but not having the time to dedicate to a 2-3.5 hour podcast.

OH! Danny Lobell's appearances are also very funny.

Any episode with Rory scovel is worth listening to every second of. He is somehow even sillier than Todd.

OH my! Rory is a great Todd guest. I love his cat character, and he is indeed sillier than Todd, which is amazing because Rory will blindside Todd during the bits.

• Like 1

I could have listened to another hour of Todd Glass trying to pick out U2 songs.

• Like 2

Could use a little more U Talkin' Wedding Planning to Me?

Also, there needs to be a little more talk about Scott's Smirnoff commercials in these eps.

• Like 3

I might be dumb for not being able to place them, but what are the songs played right before and right after "Witch Doctor?"

I'm pretty sure the one before was "Itsy-Bitsy Teenie-Weenie Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini" and the one after was "Blueberry Hill".

(And yes, I gladly listened to that whole section again to find out. On second listen, my favorite part might be the meta aspect of how it's exactly what Todd does on his show, which is to do a long bit, and then say, "OK, enough of the bit", and then keep doing the bit, and repeating that like five times.)

• Like 4

At 2:08:02, I had the EXACT same reaction as the Scotts when Todd said "they've been around".

God, I love this show and these dudes.

• Like 4

"If he thought it should have reverb, then maybe I can play it with more"

[Cue hardest Aukerman laugh I've ever heard]

• Like 7

This is going to sound like hyperbole, but the past 2 hours and 13 minutes are the happiest I've ever been. Staind Glass, will you marry me?

• Like 1

For new segments, do they add the themes in editing or do they take a break and find a good song?

• Like 3

"Is This U2?" should become a new game on Comedy Bang Bang. Also, this podcast seriously has the potential to go on forever. Take any comedian. Take music of any kind. Take the Scotts. Rinse, repeat.

• Like 5

I sometimes listen to podcasts while cooking and eating dinner, and this one made me choke from laughing too hard multiple times.

• Like 1

Also also, the only reason I know the song "Outside" by Staind was from the "Angry White Boy Polka." Thanks Vicar of Yanks!

• Like 2

Aaah! Todd Glass' earnestness kind of threw me off to begin with (haven't heard him much prior to this), but it ended up playing so well against the sheer craziness of the Scotts.

the songs are, in order:

Gerry Rafferty - "Baker Street"

Steely Dan - "Hey Nineteen"

Fleetwood Mac - "Dreams"

Run-D.M.C. & Aerosmith - "Walk This Way"

Weezer - "Buddy Holly"

Buddy Holly - "Everyday"

Chubby Checker - "The Twist"

The Fat Boys & the Beach Boys - "Wipeout"

Peter Gabriel - "Sledgehammer"

Gary Portnoy - "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" (Cheers Theme)

The Rembrandts - "I'll Be There for You" (Friends Theme)

Brian Hyland - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

Alvin & the Chipmunks - "Witch Doctor"

Fats Domino - "Blueberry Hill"

Bill Haley & His Comets - "Rock Around the Clock" (Happy Days Theme)

and the winner, U2 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

• Like 19

I can't believe I never heard that Fat Boys / Beach Boys "Wipeout" before today. My life is now defined by before I heard that song and after I heard it.

Kind of funny that the one song Glass got wrong was Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer", produced by Daniel Lanois around the same time he was producing U2's work.

This episode reminded me of that album he made, The Joshua Tree. He made some pretty great stuff early on as U2, but, by all accounts, he took it to another level with The Joshua Tree. (I think that's the right album, but this episode may have regressed my U2 learning. I thought at least 4 of those songs Scott played were U2 songs.)

Just one pick to knit - don't they usually go over the band member's names? I really missed that part. And I didn't know there would be a quiz either, I would have prepared! I know the singer only has three different letters, but can't seem to get the combination straight. I'm just a U2 Noob, sorry!

Finally, I don't want to pop your sorcerer's (philosopher's) stones, but I really think we need to hear some more about Harry Potter. What about a cross-over ep with Doug Benson, I hear he loves movies and is known to shake his little butt (little fanny) at both Limp Bizkit and U2 shows (gigs).

• Like 2