🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 14 — Staind Glass

Unless someone else talked to Todd I might be that crazy fan who talked to him after the show about this a few weeks ago. Im so happy it happened, and so quickly. This was hilarious and awesome and amazing. UTU2TM for podcast of the Willenium

• Like 5

I finally listened to the last half hour. This has got to be the most critical analysis anybody has ever devoted to Staind, right?

• Like 3

I can't believe I never heard that Fat Boys / Beach Boys "Wipeout" before today. My life is now defined by before I heard that song and after I heard it.

Kind of funny that the one song Glass got wrong was Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer", produced by Daniel Lanois around the same time he was producing U2's work.

that's interesting, I didn't realize Lanois co-produced the albums So and Us... coincidentally, Steve Lillywhite produced his third self-titled album (my personal favorite)

I also loved Todd's justification of it being U2... but definitely "his early stuff". I also enjoyed that during the songs being played, he constantly referred to U2 as "him" as if Bono made up the entire band... but that might have been because they were previously discussing Bono and his complex facial details.

My personal all-time favorite Earwolf episodes:

1.) HDTGM - Sleep Away Camp

2.) CBB! - Farts and Procreation 1

3.) ADPPP - The Travel Bug with August Lindt

4.) UTU2TM? - Staind Glass

5.) Analyze Phish - Live in NY

6.) CBB! - Introducing Rocky!

7.) HDTGM - 88 Minutes

8.) Nerd Poker - Sir Richard in Disguise

9.) ADPPP - Kiss Me, I'm Patrick McMahon

10.) CBB! - Time Bobby 2

That is literally off the top of my head so I could have missed something, but I think that's pretty accurate

• Like 9

Whoa, is next week going to be the first official "Doug Loves Musicals?" I really hope this show goes on forever and this new U2 record never comes out.

• Like 1

Not finished with it but great ep already! Todd's wedding planner scenario is ridiculous and I still can't tell whether or not he's serious. He has an amazing straight face. Anyone remember his "QVC guy" on Never Not Funny?

Absolutely hilarious episode, 56:41 was where I completely lost it. Loved the energy. The Scotts are amazing

Removed from his own podcast, Todd's rants make him sound crazily defensive and paranoid. It's fantastic. PLEASE let them bring back U Playin' U2 For Me? back in another episode. Just too good to never do again. Maybe another Staind Glass ep?

Anyway. I've listened to this episode three times today, following spending all weekend working my way through the four-hour Todd Glass Show episode with Paul F. Tompkins that plopped last week. These two episodes, plus this week's CBB with Paul F. and Matt Gourley, have made for a pretty fucking great week of podcasts.

• Like 1

I know the singer only has three different letters, but can't seem to get the combination straight. I'm just a U2 Noob, sorry!

Shit, so God-damned close!

• Like 3

Todd Glass and Scott Aukerman have some of the best all time laughs.

• Like 5

The reason you're not supposed to sit on the toilet for too long is because that's how you get hemorrhoids, right?

Anyway, this was the best. I didn't think any podcast would ever be able to really trump my love for Harmontown; but I'll be damned if UTU2TM hasn't done just that, and in very short order! "I Playin' U2 For U?" was one of the funniest things ever (I wish he'd used the Seinfeld theme in there, or, like, "The Song That Never Ends"). Todd works really well as a foil for Scott & Scott. I do hope he comes back, or that they go and guest on his show. Also, "What's Your Fuck Style?" And "Did I say 'it's been a while'?" And an ep of Let's Be Frank within an ep of Talkin' About Money! So good.

Hey, am I crazy, or is Scott mispronouncing Wynton Marsalis' name every week in those Qello ads?

I just heard 30 seconds of The Sweetest Thing without realising who sung it. This podcast isn't helping the casual shazaam-style in-lie guessing of U2 songs.

Having said that, I know the name of all the band members, which is something I didn't know before listening.

Writing a book as therapy isn't always a good idea. After writing two I got super depressed because I'd written two books (and nobody wanted to read either one). I couldn't even goad my wife into reading the second one because the first one was so silly.

This was the best for me for several reasons, some of them very embarrassing. 1, this was the band that actually killed Nu-Metal for me. 2, Scott saying he likes my favorite band, the Deftones, made me legitimately well up. I don't know why, well that's not entirely true. I guess it's just a great feeling when someone you highly admire likes something that you like. It's like finding out Gary Oldman like U Talking U2 2 Me? 3, I love Todd. That is all.

• Like 3

The reason you're not supposed to sit on the toilet for too long is because that's how you get hemorrhoids, right?

I think so, I remember after hearing that I stopped reading books on the toilet.

• Like 1

the songs are, in order:

Gerry Rafferty - "Baker Street"

Steely Dan - "Hey Nineteen"

Fleetwood Mac - "Dreams"

Run-D.M.C. & Aerosmith - "Walk This Way"

Weezer - "Buddy Holly"

Buddy Holly - "Everyday"

Chubby Checker - "The Twist"

The Fat Boys & the Beach Boys - "Wipeout"

Peter Gabriel - "Sledgehammer"

Gary Portnoy - "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" (Cheers Theme)

The Rembrandts - "I'll Be There for You" (Friends Theme)

Brian Hyland - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

Alvin & the Chipmunks - "Witch Doctor"

Fats Domino - "Blueberry Hill"

Bill Haley & His Comets - "Rock Around the Clock" (Happy Days Theme)

and the winner, U2 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

One correction - "Rock Around the Clock" was originally used as the Happy days theme, but the one Scott played was the later theme made specifically for the show, which (according to Shazam) is simply called "Happy Days" by Pratt & McClain.

They should have played Aaron Lewis' (lead singer of Staind) country song he released a few years ago. It is LITERALLY the worst thing that has EVER been recorded. it's so cliche, it almost sounds like he's making fun of country.

Oh, and by the way, it has 23 million views on Youtube. Who are these garbage people listening to this music?

• Like 1

I'm geniunely confused by Todd Glass. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Is there some joke that I'm not in on? He just seemed so serious and defensive and dumb (not knowing what autobiographical means). His explosion ~46:00 is particularly strange.

On a related note, I just watched X-Men Days of Future Past last night and there was a scene where young Professor X was talking to Wolverine, I believe, and Professor X must have said "it's been awhile" 3 or 4 times during the same scene. I almost instinctively blurted out the Staind "It's been a while" and BNL's "ITS BEEN" but held back to not look like an insane person. I dare any CBB/UTU2TM listener not to think of the "It's been awhile/ITS BEEN" during this scene.

• Like 5

I almost sang "it's been a while" to my kid's daycare teacher this morning. If I had actually done that I would've been so embarrassed I would've sued Scott and Scott for pain and suffering.

• Like 4

My personal all-time favorite Earwolf episodes:

No Improv4Humans? dafuq

• Like 5

This made my year, basically. This and the PFT episode are some of the greatest moments in podcasting history. If you don't like this show, you hate fun.

On the subject of The Todd Glass Show, episode 17 with James Adomian is a must-listen for those who love PA systems, incredibly accurate Todd Glass impressions, and Tom Leykis. Check it out: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/the-todd-glass-show-17-james-adomian/

• Like 2