🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 182.5 — 5/30/14 TWO CHARTED 121

On this episode of Two Charted, Armen deals with the comedown from this week’s Who Charted with Matt Besser, and Kulap does her best chart to date: Top 5 citrus fruits. Plus, Kulap drops some serious wisdom about how podcasting skills can help you live unfiltered in real life (and how great tequila is), and the spirit of Karf is invoked as Armen counts down his goodbye chart. This is an important and historical episode for Chartists, but what do I know?

Hey guys, I'm a potato breeder. Just to be clear, what you guys are talking about and what most of these food documentaries are about is what can happen in the private sector when things like utility patents are awarded to companies like monsanto who also have a great deal of control over legislation. If you work for a university, or a public sector entity that deals with breeding food crops or maintaining germplasm, it's very different. Anyway, you weren't wrong about mono-culture being bad, there's just a little more to it.

• Like 4

I hope Armen takes those classes. Like a phoenix from the ashes the Armen will rise again stronger than ever and bathe the world in his light.

• Like 3

A good way to remember the difference between parody and satire is to think about the Colbert Report. "Stephen Colbert" is a parody of Bill O'Reilly, but the show as a whole is a satire of the news.

Also, good to hear Stard again. Can I nominate him to fill in for Howard next time?

LOVED Armen's playlist. The first Paul Simon solo album is my favorite by him- even better than Graceland (even without thinking about the fact that he didn't give the musicians who wrote the music any writing credit.) Papa Hobo, Paraphernalia, Congratulations, Armistice Day- that album is solid.

• Like 1

Bless Ku for mentioning Huell Howser and that avocado-eatin' dog!

Aww, I love "Journey Through The Past." I get misty every time I hear it.

• Like 1

"I WORKED AT PF CHANG" made me laugh so hard, mostly because I could imagine it so well in my mind's eye.

Armen, bless his bruised heart and ego -- his playlist was A+

i think the worst part of Armen is that he tries to deny that he's just some overprivileged rich kid who has never had to work for anything. he basically is exactly his character in Burning Love. his dad was Michael Jackson's lawyer for fuck's sake. if you listen to the first episode he was on with Scott and Kulap he is reluctant to acknowledge his family, his father, and his staggering amount of privilege. the idea that he is going to be given free classes is just insulting to anyone who has ever had to pay for anything considering that he is never going to have to work a day in his life.

• Like 1

if you listen to the first episode he was on with Scott and Kulap he is reluctant to acknowledge his family, his father, and his staggering amount of privilege.

What, do you want him to preface everything he says with "MY DAD IS A HOLLYWOOD LAWYER"?

I feel like Armen's shtick is not genuine and that he is kind of mocking people who are genuinely anxious with an act he is putting on, so I don't like him, but hating him because of what he was born into isn't fair and comes from jealousy.

Armen has been great on the show the past few weeks. Tonally, he completely makes sense as a temporary co-host. I might actually have to go back and listen to these episodes again.

I have been listening since episode one, but I had to make an account just to say this.

• Like 2

What, do you want him to preface everything he says with "MY DAD IS A HOLLYWOOD LAWYER"?

I feel like Armen's shtick is not genuine and that he is kind of mocking people who are genuinely anxious with an act he is putting on, so I don't like him, but hating him because of what he was born into isn't fair and comes from jealousy.

Since when is shtick ever genuine? That's the point, it's a persona, a gimmick for comedic effect. if you're going to get annoyed by that then why not get annoyed by Howard's shtick? Are we all going to pretend that the fratty douchebag beach dude persona that is Dragon Boy Suede is actually him?

Maybe that's the reason why all these people hate Armin on Who Charted to begin with, they're not getting the asshole alpha man fantasy they get vicariously through Howard's shtick.

All this makes me appreciate the delicate balance of chemistry it takes to have a successful podcast.

If I remember correctly they brought in April to fill in for Kulap, and the dialog between Howard and April was off. It just didn't have that friendly rapport.

I don't think Howard is going to be too pleased with those of us who have voiced a complaint about Armen.

Maybe that's the reason why all these people hate Armin on Who Charted to begin with, they're not getting the asshole alpha man fantasy they get vicariously through Howard's shtick.

Howard seems more like a semi-coherent weirdo than an "alpha man" to me, that's why he's so great

i think the worst part of Armen is that he tries to deny that he's just some overprivileged rich kid who has never had to work for anything. he basically is exactly his character in Burning Love. his dad was Michael Jackson's lawyer for fuck's sake. if you listen to the first episode he was on with Scott and Kulap he is reluctant to acknowledge his family, his father, and his staggering amount of privilege. the idea that he is going to be given free classes is just insulting to anyone who has ever had to pay for anything considering that he is never going to have to work a day in his life.

Tell us how you really feel though...

I'm really glad Howard is coming back, but I'm going to miss Armen, He's been a great guest host and I am a little bummed out I won't be getting more of him on Who Charted every week. He actually reinvigorated the show for me, Before the last couple of months of Guest hosts, my ipod had been building up a backlog of un-listened to Whoch's and Twoch's. Now I'm back on track and ready for some Wee and Koo.

Good Job Armen!

• Like 1

It's pretty shitty to just assert that people are doing a "schtick" when you don't really know. I don't know Armen that well personally, but I can assure you whooch and twooch are not an act. Nobody is in "character". If anyone is even heightened, it's like 5%, if that. We didn't tell Besser to pretend Armen is a certain character and to tease him based on that. I took that pic of Armen in the corner, that was a real moment, he was really that distraught. Armen didn't snap out of it the second the recording stopped, everything you heard was real.

It's also sad to think that people cast off Howard as doing a "schtick". In fact, of all the people I work with he might just be the most "himself" on-mic, as crazy as that might sound. Not that there's anything wrong whatsoever with having different personas, but Howard can't really help but be Howard in any situation, even when he's explicitly doing a character, which makes it funnier.

• Like 15

Armen is funny, but mostly when as a target for someone to rag on (much like Ramhand). When he's left to his own devices he goes way off the reservation. I completely agree with Besser, he needs to actually finish his sentences and thoughts. CAVEAT -- the dynamic between he and Besser was classic, and it would not have been as funny if Armen was a better broadcaster.

I really can't wait for Howard to get back. To me he is the secret sauce of the show (although I love Ku as well).

Although I do think that the show with Besser was amazing, I almost think that Armen should come back for one final Whooch guest hosting gig next week, with Kremer as the guest. That might be the best possible sendoff for Armen.

• Like 1

People are hated on all the time because of what they are born into -- i.e, the hate against poor people of color in this country -- so I think Armen's rich ass can take it.

I took that pic of Armen in the corner, that was a real moment, he was really that distraught. Armen didn't snap out of it the second the recording stopped, everything you heard was real.

Armen was that shaken? What a crap day for him, hopefully he has put it behind him.

I would like to think that Who Charted will have him as a guest, get him to slay the dragon and put a positive spin on all this. Or maybe just a quick update from time-to-time.

The negative stuff has gotten more traction, but I think there is enough interest in Armen to warrant those updates.

thanks!

• Like 1

It's also sad to think that people cast off Howard as doing a "schtick". In fact, of all the people I work with he might just be the most "himself" on-mic, as crazy as that might sound. Not that there's anything wrong whatsoever with having different personas, but Howard can't really help but be Howard in any situation, even when he's explicitly doing a character, which makes it funnier.

This really sums up what I love about Howard. His comedy always seems to be coming from a genuine place, which is why he can be so consistantly funny week in and week out. He strikes me as someone who would be just as funny and affable off mic as on, which is endearing.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Armen's run. Would I want him on all the time? Nope, but it made an entertaining change. I found him a likeable guy, and it seems as if the people he's friends with do too. If anything that feels like his problem, a bit (and here I go projecting on someone I don't actually know). It seems like he doesn't like to commit to what he's saying or doing, for fear of getting judged, and people let him get away with it because they like him. That's what made the Besser episode so funny, he was repeatedly calling him on his shit instead of letting it go. It's a shame Armen was apparently genuinely upset by that, but hopefully in the long run it toughens him up a bit. It didn't feel like bullying to me. I don't know if Armen was more upset at being publicly shamed than at what Besser was saying to him. Still I also kind of hope he doesn't change too much as he's a funny guy