🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

It's Sylvester Stallone doing a disaster movie with him rescuing people trapped under a tunnel in New York. Another flop and another Razzie nomination for the actor, plus stay tuned for the end credits where there's a theme song that was done by Donna Summer doing a duet with some guy nobody even cares about, it is that cheesy. And it's directed by pre-Fast and the Furious Rob Cohen as well as featured a pre-Lord of the Rings Viggo Mortensen.

• Like 3

This movie is full koo-koo bananas. It really needs to be spoken about. Just addressing the concepts of heat alone will send your mind into a full rager. Please, acknowledge this dump of compiled human mind-garbage.

Bump for this awful movie. Watching Geostorm made me think of the rash of ecological disaster movies that were playing in the early 2000's/ late 90's. Volcano, Dantes Peak, Twister etc.

I remember going to see this in theatres as a kid because of how much I liked Demolition Man, boy did I leave disappointed.

• Like 3

Yeah this movie deserves some attention! During that era of bangin' disaster movies, this was a tape that was in my VCR a lot.

This is a big, loud, and very stupid movie.

• Like 2

I still laugh at near the end when they are almost out and the stairwell gives out, causing Stallone to fall back into a pool of water and causing him to tell the group to leave him and save themselves. Amy Brenneman, who has basically been his apparent love interest for the bulk of the movie, basically leads the pack in a basic 'fuck him he's gone' kind of way, but gives a half-hearted attempt to bring him back up, only for herself to fall in as well and then like a spaz flop around in the water screaming for them not to leave her to die, in a complete 180 of where her mind just was. Also this falls into the great bad early roles of Viggo Mortensen before hitting it big with the Lord of the Rings series, along with Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 and Albino Alligator.

• Like 3

Yea I cant even picture who Viggo Mortensen was supposed to be a facsimile of. I also loved that the prison bus had both male and female prisoners on it.

• Like 2

I still laugh at near the end when they are almost out and the stairwell gives out, causing Stallone to fall back into a pool of water and causing him to tell the group to leave him and save themselves.

LOL yes. That is one of the silliest moments in this. After surviving all the explosions, collapses, floods, fans, and criminals, he accepts his own death after tripping on some stairs.

I friggin love this movie.. no joke. It's the only disaster movie I know of where the disaster is caused by a bunch of grime punks.

Also, It's like a movie on a plane or in a submarine, the underwater tunnel really raises the stakes.

I love that trope from that era of films that had the hysterical notion that people who looked like Sid Vicious were of course constantly committing bank heists.

• Like 1

Remember Stallone's speech about being courageous and his example is the first person to eat a live oyster? Pure courage to dig down deep and decide that he needed what looked like a giant chest cold in his stomach but he had no choice so he ate it. No way they get 5 minutes into the podcast without bringing that little doozy up. 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:03 PM, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

I love that trope from that era of films that had the hysterical notion that people who looked like Sid Vicious were of course constantly committing bank heists.

And it wasn't so much a heist as it was a very fortuitous snatch and grab, only for them to get notified via the in-car fax machine, that some version of lowjack had already contacted the cops. Then add to it the trucks carrying toxic waste that apparently blows up like thermite and you have pure mid-90s Stallone schlock. Even more amazing was the director originally wanted Nic Cage for the lead role but Universal thought Stallone was more commercially viable, which is pretty true considering this earned $160 million, and that Cage was a "character actor" despite him just winning an Oscar and The Rock would come out six months prior to this and earn twice as much at the box office and starting his peak run of blockbuster hits in the late 90s.

• Like 1

As much as I like Nic Cage, I think they definitely made the right choice. Stallone is decent in this while at the same time being the most absurd casting for a cab driver ive seen in some time.