🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 290 — Shed Busting

You must have really been out during the Giamatti/Hoffman episode.

If I'm remembering that episode correctly, I did not enjoy it, no.

It doesn't feel to me like Andy Daly's characters do it as often as Adomian's do, or in such detail. Maybe it's the voices of the characters that make a difference, or that Adomian takes it further than Daly does. But no, I can't recall being put off by Daly's characters in the same way. And I do think Daly is funnier.

I don't think anything Adomian's characters have said have been as graphic as ANY of the Don Dimello appearances, which include about as graphic sexual (and violent) content as you can get .

I am honestly not trying to be accusatory at all, but would the dislike have to do with James' characters often talking about gay sex acts?

I don't think anything Adomian's characters have said have been as graphic as ANY of the Don Dimello appearances, which include about as graphic sexual (and violent) content as you can get .

I am honestly not trying to be accusatory at all, but would the dislike have to do with James' characters often talking about gay sex acts?

You're really telling me that you don't think any of the stuff that Paul Giamatti's been involved in during his numerous appearances was particularly graphic?

It may just be that I don't like the Paul Giamatti character, or that I don't find Adomian as funny as I do Daly. I don't think it's as simplistic as being jokes/bits about straight sex or gay sex, more the way the are told and/or acted out. It just seems to me like more of Adomian's appearances end up going down that path and that it doesn't appeal to me. I may be wrong because I've only listened to a handful of CBB episodes more than once.

I don't know what you'd be accusing me of if I had a dislike of bits about gay sex acts either. I don't see how it could be considered homophobic or whatever.

I can understand being a bit queasy when Adomian really goes for it. I love the guy, but even I had just a bit of vomit in my mouth during Phillip Traumatic Seymour Disorder. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

You must have really been out during the Giamatti/Hoffman episode.

"I'm a rapist, I'm a fucking anal rapist"

• Like 1

I am curious - do you have the same problem when Andy Daly's characters talk about repulsive sex acts?

In fairnes Andy generally talks about them in the past tense, James' characters throw down mid show. Mind, I still find it hilarious, but I can see how the distiction would make it less palatable.

• Like 1

In fairnes Andy generally talks about them in the past tense, James' characters throw down mid show. Mind, I still find it hilarious, but I can see how the distiction would make it less palatable.

That's definitely part of it for me. Daly is usually talking vaguely about un-named characters in the past tense, but it's often happening in the moment when Adomian does it. I think I would find it just as off-putting if a Daly character was doing 'things' with a female character in the studio, if not more so.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the more serious tone of the first half. I wouldn't want CBB to get all serious every show, but this was a cool change of pace and a really interesting discussion.

In the second half, were all of those characters Adomian? It must be hard to go back and forth between characters when they're talking to each other. :)

• Like 1

Daly is really good at obliquely referring to lurid stuff in such a way that it doesn't come across as line-crossing. He only directly states the over-the-top stuff it as a shocking punchline that it feels like you wheedled out of him. He doesn't luxuriate in it. It's a really impressive ability. The Don Dimello ep of the ADPPP showed that Matt Gourley also has this ability (but Manzoukis and St. Clair don't. Or at least, they didn't manifest it then).

• Like 6

Not what you expect from a CBB... and yet it fits perfectly.

It was great to hear them discuss being gay in a more serious way while still throwing in some jokes and having fun. It was like hanging out with them in the living room and just talking. There's something really cool about that.

And then of course, the second half was bat-shit crazy with all the other "guests" dropping in.

Watch for this one to be on the list of the year's best episodes.

Scott repeating Pardo's "Hah! You're an idiot!" was amazing.

• Like 5

Instead of being separated by gender identity, there should just be one restroom for sitting and one restroom for standing. You decide which one you need.

PS - I can't wait to read Todd's book, and James Adomian is one of the funniest people working today. If you haven't seen him do stand up, I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I agree, he was mostly joking, but I do think that men are more likely to fear embarrassment/humiliation as the major threat from women, whereas women are more likely to fear assault and violence as the major threat from men. That discussion was kind of jarring to me, perhaps because I have a lot of feelings about bathroom/locker room/etc. segregation in relation to safety and discrimination, especially with regard to people who are not gender binary.

Anyway, I really liked this episode and I thought the more serious first half was a nice change of pace (and still had several laugh out loud moments). Todd Glass has been killing it in his most recent appearances, just bought his book and am excited to read it!

Like Margaret Atwood said, "Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."

Huck-Finnin' around with Paul Giamatti on the set of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

10425109_648638635230795_6237171161025158195_n.jpg

• Like 2

I'm new to this podcast and have listened to about 10 episodes so far. I really like the first half cuz it was different from the usual interview, but once that Adomian came in with his Bush impression i don't know how i stayed with it. he just rambled on and probably said something funny maybe 1 out of every 10 lines. it's my first time hearing him and maybe it was just a bad performance. i've heard horatio sanz a couple times, paul f. tompkins a few times, and daly once and they were all hilarious. adomian completely bombed here imo.

i actually registered just to post this which i never felt compelled to do before. i just disliked the second half of it that much.

I'm new to this podcast and have listened to about 10 episodes so far. I really like the first half cuz it was different from the usual interview, but once that Adomian came in with his Bush impression i don't know how i stayed with it. he just rambled on and probably said something funny maybe 1 out of every 10 lines. it's my first time hearing him and maybe it was just a bad performance. i've heard horatio sanz a couple times, paul f. tompkins a few times, and daly once and they were all hilarious. adomian completely bombed here imo.

i actually registered just to post this which i never felt compelled to do before. i just disliked the second half of it that much.

I really liked the first half of your post, but in the second part where you described creating an account to shit on a guest was where it fell apart... overall, pretty disappointing.

imo.

I really liked the first half of your post, but in the second part where you described creating an account to shit on a guest was where it fell apart... overall, pretty disappointing.

imo.

Preacherofdoom

You've committed a cardinal sin around here by being a noob, and speaking your mind.

Maybe if you had a few hundred more posts under your belt you wouldn't get brow beaten for giving an opinion that's not just: "best episode of the year"

This place can turn into a real circle jerk around here if we don't let people express their opinions both good and bad.

Of course tact is needed and ignorance and rudeness are not welcome.

But I am tired of seeing people disparaged for giving an honest opinion when their 'post count' hasn't met the imaginary acceptable level.

Also I think we need to do our best to welcome new people and encourage them to return and continue to post.

Welcome to the forum. Please continue to listen to CBB and other Earwolf podcasts and contribute to the forum.

• Like 1

Preacherofdoom

You've committed a cardinal sin around here by being a noob, and speaking your mind.

Maybe if you had a few hundred more posts under your belt you wouldn't get brow beaten for giving an opinion that's not just: "best episode of the year"

This place can turn into a real circle jerk around here if we don't let people express their opinions both good and bad.

But I am tired of seeing people disparaged for giving an honest opinion when their 'post count' hasn't met the imaginary acceptable level.

Also I think we need to do our best to welcome new people and encourage them to return and continue to post.

Welcome to the forum. Please continue to listen to CBB and other Earwolf podcasts and contribute to the forum.

it's the idea that they don't want earwolf to stop, so you have to praise it. also, people here still think they're on the "ground floor" of comedy podcasts.

Preacherofdoom

please don't confuse my comment for genuine outrage... I tried to make it humorous to bring some levity, but I guess I failed.

I just think it's fascinating anytime someone goes to the trouble of joining a forum just to vocalize their distaste for something, especially when the aforementioned person clearly (and admittedly) has little to no context for the show or the characters/guests. I lurked this forum for years, but it never crossed my mind to join and comment anytime I didn't enjoy or understand a performance. that being said, I completely acknowledge and respect your point and we could play devil's advocate about this all day... I just feel that if someone joins a forum simply to articulate hate, the chances of them having anything constructive to say in the future is pretty slim.

• Like 1

so everyone enjoyed this performance and i'm the only one that didn't like it? i find that hard to believe. i'm comparing adomian to tompkins, sanz, daly, and lapkus. i've listened to 10-15 episodes, but multiple episodes of each of those improvers. adomian in this episode, the only one i've heard him in ever, went on super long jags just rambling. i don't think there is a comedian ever that can just start talking, have no idea what they are going to say next, and just ramble on for sometimes minutes at a time and actually deliver funny lines consistently. most of his stuff was just bad. he went on and on for so long, at time scott almost sounded like he was coming out of a deep sleep and suddenly he had to talk. there was no give an take. there was scott asking something and then blah blah blah horrible improv for minutes at a time. just rambling nonsense. i get it bush was hated, but that still doesn't make anything stupid said in his voice automatically funny. most of admomian's stuff here was cringeworthy.

this to me was an example of improv gone bad. i understand it has to happen occasionally since it is all done live and basically curb your enthusiasm style. it has a basic framework with some plot points in certain episodes, not this one, that are planned ahead. however, it's mostly improv. it's not a hard concept to grasp and you don't need to listen to a hundred episodes to get it. this was bad improv. saying something funny 1 out of every 10 attempts is a trainwreck. i've heard enough of this podcast to "get it" and i'm still puzzled that i'm the only one to voice an accurate depiction of what happened. the todd glass keeping it real interview was very nice change of pace, but once the improv started it 95% bombed. i'll give adomian a shot once more, but with a quick hook if this is what he does every time.

is it normal for you all to just lap up everything served to you no matter how good or bad it is on these forums?

so everyone enjoyed this performance and i'm the only one that didn't like it? ...is it normal for you all to just lap up everything served to you no matter how good or bad it is on these forums?

So glad I defended this guy^

• Like 3