🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 15 — Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark

Doug Loves Movies host Doug Benson joins Adam Scott Aukerman to discuss the broadway rock musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. They’ll get into the conception and making of the musical, Bono & The Edge’s involvement with writing the music & lyrics for the musical, and share their impressions of the musical. Plus, the guys talk about the times Doug & Scott saw U2’s PopMart Tour & The 360° Tour, recap night 3 of Hollywood Joel, go through some listener mail, and ask Doug “What’s Your Deductible Bro?”

• Like 1

Very unexpected.

Listening eagerly.

Update:

Don't know what to make of this episode... But I will say that:

Scott's harsh denials to Scott is my favourite part of this podcast.

Followed by Scott's muttering of curse words under his breath.

The only two constants.

f3w300.jpg

• Like 12

Well dang it, now I have to stay up and listen to this episode before going to sleep. I'm just worried that Doug's lackadaisical persona might not mesh with the laser focus and tight pacing this show is famous for.

EDIT: I'm delighted at how nonplussed Doug is by the lack of Scott and Scott talking U2 to him. Great episode. They really get inside baseball about how insane the production's creation and history is and it's fascinating.

• Like 4

The slow disintegration of Scott & Scott's friendship is a glorious thing to behold.

(Kidding --but Adam is being particularly punchy so far and it's hilarious.)

• Like 1

Quick nitpick: the word "thalidomide" also shows up in the Slipknot song "Left Behind." I'm sure it'll get covered on Lennon Parham's Slipknot podcast "The Listler Exists."

• Like 1

Adam: "You know him from the 2005 classic Cake Boy: Mr. Scott Aukerman!"

(Can't remember if this has been posted, but the cameo at the end of the Keeping the Faith video really is amazing.)

• Like 1

Someone needs to go to Fracture and print pictures of Todd Glass onto glass.

• Like 13

This was probably my favorite episode that was mostly on topic. The whole shitstorm of the play was fascinating to follow in the news and I didn't even know HALF of how crazy it really was.

• Like 3

That Keeping the Faith cameo is totally worth it gang.

• Like 4

Quick nitpick: the word "thalidomide" also shows up in the Slipknot song "Left Behind." I'm sure it'll get covered on Lennon Parham's Slipknot podcast "The Listler Exists."

NOFX have a song titled 'Thalidomide Child"

That Keeping the Faith cameo is totally worth it gang.

Is it Mr. T?

• Like 1

Is it Mr. T?

Maybe worse? Worse meaning better.

Maybe worse? Worse meaning better.

It definitely made me question if my eyes were playing tricks on me. It's that good.

• Like 1

I guess Scott & Scott were just summarizing parts of a book they read but I thought the talk about Turn Off The Dark's troubled production was really interesting. I kind of would have liked it if they stuck with the Arachne version- it probably would have been terrible but at least it would have been something

^ How have I not noticed that username before?

Imagine telling your parents you post on the internet as CORPSEFUCKER SHITLORD

• Like 5

It really pisses me off to think that Taymor and co are millionaires and could produce something so completely incompetent.

The anecdote about the stage manager being the only person with any good ideas really drove it home for me. It's really sad when you consider how many struggling people their are trying to get a break who probably could have crushed a Spider Man musical. It takes an insane amount of hubris and complete disconnect from reality to produce something so god awful.

• Like 1

The 100 dollar mic was most likely a Sure Sm57/58. It is used in the most high end studios along with super expensive mics. Brandon Flowers prefers it.

• Like 1

So what are our guesses for next week's special episode? My money is on Scott and Scott's former girlfriends whom they married making guest appearances to say 'What the fuck is wrong with U 2 and talkin' U2?' but it could also be the long awaited college girls episode, a sit down with Bono or old sourpuss himself, or something completely different.

• Like 5

^ How have I not noticed that username before?

Imagine telling your parents you post on the internet as CORPSEFUCKER SHITLORD

Sean & Hayes say it is great and they're more like parents to me than my real dad

• Like 8

The 100 dollar mic was most likely a Sure Sm57/58. It is used in the most high end studios along with super expensive mics. Brandon Flowers prefers it.

Most of the engineers that I've worked with have used SM58's for recording guide vocals, then gone on to do vocal overdubs with more expensive condenser microphones later. The SM58's are good because they're dynamic and therefore don't pick up the sound of the drums and whatever else they're trying to record first. They do this so that when the lead guitarist or whoever gets around to recording their solo they have a nice clean but not perfect outline of the vocals to tell them which part they're up to and when to play. I'm guessing this is what Bono was doing. Still the anecdote is kind of weird. Was he impressed by Bono giving a good take even though it was just a guide? Or by the fact that he was using a cheap microphone? Or what? Scott was right to be confused by it.

(I apologise to anyone who fell asleep whilst reading this boring explanation. Here is a picture of a weird carrot)

www.popfi.com/wp-content/uploads/buzz-lightyear-carrot.jpg

• Like 1

This is going to sound weird, but can we get a full episode of Adam Scott not-shouting please. Excessively loud and semi-monotone is the best possible voice, in this troper's opinion.

• Like 4

This is going to sound weird, but can we get a full episode of Adam Scott not-shouting please. Excessively loud and semi-monotone is the best possible voice, in this troper's opinion.

When he did the shout mid-sentence that last time I nearly died