🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar Sniffer

Ida - The saddest Nundercover

So, I just happened upon this little "So Independent Foreign Film It Hurts" movie at my closest indie movie house:

It's a black and white Polish film about a novitiate nun dealing with the aftermath of the Holocaust and her personal connections with it in 1960s Poland. Sounds fun, right? It's only 80 minutes long, but not a frame of film is wasted; with just about every shot being desolately gorgeously in some manner. The dialogue is spare but incredibly efficient, able to craft legitimately lough-out-loud jokes out of five-second exchanges of six words... amidst a story about loneliness, faith, despair, and the Holocaust. With its morbid sense of humor, style, and the black and white photography, it kind of has the feel of Nebraska with the plot of Everything is Illuminated. So again, So Independent It Hurts, but it's still beautiful. Although it might be up its own ass a little bit (it does include a couple scenes in a smokey jazz club), it is not at all boring. Its short length and fascinating on-location visuals make it a constant pleasure to look at, not a drag like other indies can be.

I am only posting about it here because, while watching it, I did find myself wondering "How Did This Get Made?" I'm just ever-so pleased that in the current market of film-making, where so much depends upon franchises, name brands, and merchandising marketability, there is still room for these little arthouse films to come around, from all over the world, and surprise me. If you get a chance to see it (and enjoy subtitled independent stuff), I highly recommend you seek it out.

• Like 6

Quasar, you had me at novitiate nun. This gem is now on Netflix. It's beautiful. It was definitely worth taking an intermission from Raid 2 to watch this. Also, if you always want to know what is in the vicinity of the five or six feet above a character's head, this movie is for you. In all honesty, five stars.

• Like 1

Excellent! I am glad you took the time to watch it and that you enjoyed it. I have been pushing this movie on anyone who will listen, especially now that it's on Netflix. I watched it again recently and liked it just as much the second time.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this