🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jeffullrich

Announcing Earwolf's New CEO

Jeff Ullrich: A CEO the people actually know, love and will miss. That is how great Earwolf is.

Thanks Paul, that is very kind of you to say.

I was hoping to get more mileage out of that joke about how you're the jerk that cancelled Daily Affirmation and Mike Detective but I guess the time has come to hang that one up. I'm glad you have the opportunity to do what is right for you, Jeff. Thanks for everything you've done for all of us.

• Like 1

Jeff,

A trillion congrats. You are one of more refreshing voices in new media businesses today. You built an amazing talent empire at Earwolf and an even more awesome platform that should be written about a lot more with The Midroll.

I highly doubt you'd remember this, but I met you and Adam last December for a position at the MidRoll at the old Sunset office. Getting face time with you was unreal. Learning so much in that hour seems like mythology but I took so much home that I am writing in to say thanks for doing that. It's sadly rare for a company head to take that much interest in talking so extensively to potential new members to the team.

It was unfortunate we couldn't make things work out as I had so desperately tried to finagle it but, at the very least, I got a taste of what real startups (ones with real value and real revenue, and not blind valuations based on freakish future assumptions) are like. That's the company and attitude I really hope to find myself leading in a few years. You made that very real.

I wish you the best in whatever you do. Most importantly, thanks for giving me endless laughs. I don't know who I'd be today if Earwolf weren't around a few years ago.

Best,

Hugo Gomez

• Like 1

Although I must say I'm dissapointed that Hayes & Sean haven't been promoted to co-CEO considering their vast Hollywood experience as writers/actors/producers.

Haha! We tried, but both Jerry Bradford Esq. and Russ Fontaine from Power Lawyers drove too tough a bargain.

• Like 5

I wouldn't be there I'm at (in a lot of ways) if it wasn't for your compassion, Jeff. I'm glad you're still in my life even out of a professional sense. We've been lucky to have you!

-Caroline

I love you Caroline! Sorry we didn't get to chat Saturday. Soon though!

Best of luck to you Jeff! Thank you for everything you've done. I love Earwolf and it wouldn't be the amazing organization it is without you.

Thank you Zach!

JEFF! You will be missed. But we'll always have that awkward convo that time I called into Earhump when you were the guest.

I'd wish you luck, but I know you'll do great with whatever you end up doing.

-Alek

I'll cherish every awkward conversation I've ever had with an Earwolf fan. There have been many. And I will definitely miss them :)

Thanks for the hand you've had in providing endless hours of free, wonderful entertainment to the masses (aka a bunch of nerds). Earwolf has become a really important part of my life in the past few years, and your contributions have not gone unnoticed. Thanks for everything you do, and I hope that Adam is settling in well! Enjoy having time to relax, you've earned the hell out if it.

Thanks! Adam will do great things (with the help of a million other great people).

• Like 1

Jeff,

A trillion congrats. You are one of more refreshing voices in new media businesses today. You built an amazing talent empire at Earwolf and an even more awesome platform that should be written about a lot more with The Midroll.

I highly doubt you'd remember this, but I met you and Adam last December for a position at the MidRoll at the old Sunset office. Getting face time with you was unreal. Learning so much in that hour seems like mythology but I took so much home that I am writing in to say thanks for doing that. It's sadly rare for a company head to take that much interest in talking so extensively to potential new members to the team.

It was unfortunate we couldn't make things work out as I had so desperately tried to finagle it but, at the very least, I got a taste of what real startups (ones with real value and real revenue, and not blind valuations based on freakish future assumptions) are like. That's the company and attitude I really hope to find myself leading in a few years. You made that very real.

I wish you the best in whatever you do. Most importantly, thanks for giving me endless laughs. I don't know who I'd be today if Earwolf weren't around a few years ago.

Best,

Hugo Gomez

Of course I remember you! Very smart, great hair.

I appreciate you sharing those kind words. It thrills me to think Earwolf has had such a huge impact on you. Stay in touch with Adam, there are always new jobs opening up!

• Like 1

Jeff is a great guy whose dedication is legitimately unrivaled. Really glad to know that you're giving yourself this well-deserved respite from the stress and long hours. I'm eternally grateful for the time I spent at Earwolf and to you for providing me the amazing opportunity. It was a surreal experience, I learned so much and made some lifelong friends. Godspeed!

• Like 1

Jeff is a great guy whose dedication is legitimately unrivaled. Really glad to know that you're giving yourself this well-deserved respite from the stress and long hours. I'm eternally grateful for the time I spent at Earwolf and to you for providing me the amazing opportunity. It was a surreal experience, I learned so much and made some lifelong friends. Godspeed!

Aww shucks Gabe, you are too kind. We should start a competitor to Earhump together.

• Like 1

I've heard a lot of great advice from the Wolf Den to help my own podcasting projects. Thank you for all the input in the forums as well.

Looking forward to the Wolf Den episode with Scott.

Best of luck, Jeff.

• Like 1

Good luck being the best Dad and husband you can be, Jeff. I think I fell in love with Earwolf because of Bob Ducca, the world's saddest stepdad. Maybe you learned a thing or two from Bob's example, too. Is there a funny/interesting story behind where the name "Earwolf" comes from? Thank you for all the programs.

tumblr_m3mmdrYeYd1r7itg8o1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Jeff, we had some interaction one time when I let you know about my positive interaction with Bonobos, how I talked up Earwolf to them and how I liked the partnership. You wrote back and told me how much it meant to have fans write and tell you that things were going the right way, and all that. It meant a lot to me that you cared enough to take the time to respond.

I'll always appreciate what you've done with Scott and everyone there. You've really made a big impact on podcasting in the best way. The talent you've amassed is a huge part of that, but leadership always matters. Please look back at your work as a major success in life.

• Like 2

Is there a funny/interesting story behind where the name "Earwolf" comes from?

I'll try and remember to bring this up on the podcast with Scott!

• Like 2

Jeff, we had some interaction one time when I let you know about my positive interaction with Bonobos, how I talked up Earwolf to them and how I liked the partnership. You wrote back and told me how much it meant to have fans write and tell you that things were going the right way, and all that. It meant a lot to me that you cared enough to take the time to respond.

I'll always appreciate what you've done with Scott and everyone there. You've really made a big impact on podcasting in the best way. The talent you've amassed is a huge part of that, but leadership always matters. Please look back at your work as a major success in life.

Thank you so much. I always tried to have honest interactions with everyone, I'm glad it was well received. I appreciate the kind words!

• Like 1

Jeff, you are a class act all the way.

To share with the readers here, 2 years ago, some friends and I decided to sponsor $100 for a friend's birthday. Jeff emailed me back directly and arranged the shout out. Then, when there was an unfortunate technical snafu with the recording, he emailed me with his personal phone number so I could call him and discuss how he would make it right. He offered to refund the money (I refused, because as someone who works in media, I know that sh*t happens sometimes, and it was important that we still wanted to support Earwolf. I wasn't going to be petty because of a mistake/technical problem). Instead, he sent my friend a poster and a couple of shirts, and had Howard and Kulap (obviously we had sponsored Who Charted) record a personalized greeting to my friend and emailed me the audio recording. Needless to say, my friend was thrilled by this.

Jeff - your actions earned a permanent fan. I always remember the integrity of Earwolf and try to support you guys, whether it's by buying one of the "I (heart) podcasts" shirts, or going to the CBB live show and buying the live shows from the other cities.

All the best in your future endeavours!

• Like 1

Seems like everyone has said all of the obvious stuff, so I will just say that I will miss "Love, dad" even though it was short lived. I'm sure it really didn't hit the target audience of this site, but I can genuinely say that it was easily one of my favorites. Of course I am a dad so I am biased. Good luck in all that you do and I wish you all the best!

Barry C

• Like 2

Jeff, you are a class act all the way.

To share with the readers here, 2 years ago, some friends and I decided to sponsor $100 for a friend's birthday. Jeff emailed me back directly and arranged the shout out. Then, when there was an unfortunate technical snafu with the recording, he emailed me with his personal phone number so I could call him and discuss how he would make it right. He offered to refund the money (I refused, because as someone who works in media, I know that sh*t happens sometimes, and it was important that we still wanted to support Earwolf. I wasn't going to be petty because of a mistake/technical problem). Instead, he sent my friend a poster and a couple of shirts, and had Howard and Kulap (obviously we had sponsored Who Charted) record a personalized greeting to my friend and emailed me the audio recording. Needless to say, my friend was thrilled by this.

Jeff - your actions earned a permanent fan. I always remember the integrity of Earwolf and try to support you guys, whether it's by buying one of the "I (heart) podcasts" shirts, or going to the CBB live show and buying the live shows from the other cities.

All the best in your future endeavours!

Leor! I remember call that well. I was outside of La Poubelle, having dinner with Scott. I was so nervous we messed it all up! Thanks for being so understanding.

Seems like everyone has said all of the obvious stuff, so I will just say that I will miss "Love, dad" even though it was short lived. I'm sure it really didn't hit the target audience of this site, but I can genuinely say that it was easily one of my favorites. Of course I am a dad so I am biased. Good luck in all that you do and I wish you all the best!

Barry C

Thanks Barry. I miss "Love, Dad" too.

Earwolf continually brings joy to my life. I really appreaciate all of the effort you and everyone else have put forth. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

As someone that's grown up on/with the internet I've been around many different forums/websites/general communities. I must also confess to having listened to podcasts elsewhere and gotten involved on their forums. There are a lot of ego maniacs online and in the podcasting game, which is why I appreciate what you've done so much. I don't know your (former) day to day operations, but I can say that you leave yourself open to criticism and don't adhere to the "my way or the highway" policy. From what I've seen you've done a great job of fielding questions and addressing concerns. It's easy to support something when you feel as though you're also being supported as a listener and consumer.

Long story short, thanks for everything that you've done. I've spent countless hours (that tend to go by far too quickly) listening to EarWolf shows. They've made good days great and awful days tolerable. I thank you for everything you've done to deliver that experience to me. Good luck in whatever venture you choose to pursue next.

• Like 1

Jeff, thank you for everything. Earwolf has been a fixture in my life for the past few years, and it's because of amazingly hardworking people like you that ventures like Earwolf can become what it is today. On a personal note, the Earwolf programs have taken me through a lot of tough times. They have given me so much joy even when other things weren't going so well. For that there are no words to thank you enough. Your judgment in leaving I trust without hesitation, because you've done everything else right so far. Best of luck to you in the future and (once again) THANK YOU.

• Like 1