🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 185 — Letting Go of Macklemore

Summah is in full swing on this great episode of Who Charted with your hosts Summahtime WieWie, and Questlap, and their legendary guest, Karen Kilgariff. In this episode, the crew talks about Karen's battle with poison oak, her off-grid music habits, and why 'shame waves' are a part of the creative process. Plus, Howard proves he knows about youth culture, we get an update on 'Summah This, Summah That' and Karen tells some great stories about early Mr. Show days.

May I just say that I have been kinda crushin on Karen Kilgariff since the Mr. Show days.

Haven't listened yet, but I just looked at the episode photos and want to say thanks for getting a good shot of Howard's notes.

• Like 3

I'm only 15 minutes in but I'm already feeling like Karen Kilgariff is my twin.

Haven't listened yet, but I just looked at the episode photos and want to say thanks for getting a good shot of Howard's notes.

Yes! Proof that Kulap is not making this stuff up.

HowieNotes3.jpg

• Like 5

I nominate Karen for guest host the next time Kulap is indisposed.

• Like 4

i dont smoke weed at all and i forget the order of stuff i do in the shower all the time, i think i did my body wash twice this morning :c

• Like 1

I tend not to get upset with things said on podcasts or take them too personally, but in no way, shape, or form are tortilla chips better than funnel cake. I'd go as far as to say that funnel cake is the Jaws of amusement park snack items.

Though the Dr. Octagon reference at the beginning did help soften the blow. Also, for what it's worth a good friend/fellow coworker that I worked with at my previous job was in a rap group as a hobby. We're both in our early 20's so there may be some truth to Howard's point.

http://www.kcsn.org/ 88.5 CalState Northridge. Around Philadelphia, our 88.5 is also a public-radio rock station, the one that puts out Conversations from the World Cafe...but I still tend to think of the DC 88.5, which was a bluegrass/newsradio station when I lived there, and has now spun off the bluegrass/folk programming off to a second station on 105.5 FM. And in unrelated Philly/DC news, Cosby's uni was Temple University in Philly (the closest thing Philly has to a public university) and Howard University is the HBU in DC...

Great episode! I've heard of a Karen a bunch, but haven't really seen/heard anything she's done - a pure delight.

I went to visit a friend of mine in New York a while back and he was telling me how the guy from Midtown has been badgering him to come play guitar for a song he wanted to submit for the Snakes on a Plane contest. Seemed hilarious at the time, especially since his last band was an earnest screamo band called Kite Flying Society, but then they won. And got famous. And toured. For years. Calling themselves Cobra Starship. And I haven't seen him since :(

Great episode! I've heard of a Karen a bunch, but haven't really seen/heard anything she's done - a pure delight.

You need to watch Mr. Show.

Just wanted to back up Howard that I, as an 18 year old, have a rap group with my friends.

I nominate Karen for guest host the next time Kulap is indisposed.

I'm re-listening to this episode, and you took the words right out of my mouth, sir. I love April and Emily, but Karen's closer to Howard in age, so there's like an automatic chemistry. (I know Kulap's pretty young, but her chemistry with Howard is just magic).... Also.... if Karen sang a duet with Howard on a future Summah album, I'd run up and down the streets in my Summah tee, screaming like a joy-filled maniac.