🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 297 — Canadian Apparel

Plz can we get that list of words Nathan knows, pls pls plz

Reminded me of an absolute classic exchange from the "best of" '09 (were we ever so young!) between the greats that began simply w/

Ice T: "Huell, list everything that you know"

• Like 7

Joe Wengert's character is even more hilarious on repeat listenings. It just gets funnier and funnier once you are in on the joke from the beginning

• Like 3

Just came here to agree with Brad about how great Joe Wengert's comedy act is. I went to go see him last Saturday, and he did this bit about how when you dive to the bottom of a pond to root around for grubs, but then one of your buddies happens to be right where you're surfacing, and then you poke your bill RIGHT into his feathery bottom. AWKWARD! I won't even try to repeat it the way he said it here, but trust me his version is 100 times funnier. You absolutely must go and see it as soon as you can. Don't waddle, fly!

• Like 1

Joe Wengert's character is even more hilarious on repeat listenings. It just gets funnier and funnier once you are in on the joke from the beginning

Yeah it took me way too long to figure out where he was going. The pants-less sailor suit went right over my head. But once Scott got to the bottom of it, it really took off for me.

Also, I hate to be negative but I'll just say that although I love some of Adomian's characs his recent stuff hasn't been my favorite. He seems to be going more and more blue, which is okay for some performers but for him it just seems like he is being a little lazy, especially after some really smart and great performances. (At the same time, I know I'm being a hypocrite, because 'A worthy Uh' is one of my favorite eps, where James' Alan Rickman turns his testicles into Glock pistols and gets Scott to "suck him off")

• Like 1

More Joe Wengert and less James Adomian. I was a fan of his earlier character work, like Huell Howser's first couple appearances. But I don't believe i've laughed at an Adomian character in quite some time..

It makes me so sad that everyone has soured on James Adomian. I have had an opposite reaction, I've grown to love these characters. At first when he did his really gross characters like Dov Charney, Tom Leykis, Merrill Shindler, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, I hated them. There's something about his voice that makes his words even more disgusting and difficult to listen to. Andy Daly's characters are often even more disgusting and despicable than James Adomian's, but Andy has such a nice guy voice.

But now James's characters have really grown on me because James is so good at pulling the other guests and Scott into his world. Like Amy Poehler being charmed by Tom Leykis. Or convincing fellow-Canadian Nathan Fielder to run stolen clothes to Niagra Falls. I loved his forced high fives with Nathan and then saying "But he didn't say no. There was implied consent."

• Like 7

Real-Men.jpg

(Or whatever's around, but a lot of times it's bread.)

• Like 19

It makes me so sad that everyone has soured on James Adomian. I have had an opposite reaction, I've grown to love these characters. At first when he did his really gross characters like Dov Charney, Tom Leykis, Merrill Shindler, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, I hated them. There's something about his voice that makes his words even more disgusting and difficult to listen to. Andy Daly's characters are often even more disgusting and despicable than James Adomian's, but Andy has such a nice guy voice.

But now James's characters have really grown on me because James is so good at pulling the other guests and Scott into his world. Like Amy Poehler being charmed by Tom Leykis. Or convincing fellow-Canadian Nathan Fielder to run stolen clothes to Niagra Falls. I loved his forced high fives with Nathan and then saying "But he didn't say no. There was implied consent."

It seems to me that James has ALWAYS garnered mixed reactions. His bits are going to be polarizing because he often goes to really weird places. For example, most people seemed to hate the Dr Bronner character and Tim and Eric's reaction to the character within the episode - if you look at the feedback for that episode on here, it was mostly negative. Same with Merill Schindler and that character goes back to 2010 on CDR/CBB.

I always find James Adomian funny. I can't think of a single Adomian episode that I dislike. I love the way that he interacts with the other guests - he's sort of unlike any of the other character players in the way that he interacts with both Scott and the celebrity guests. It's often abrasive and can sometimes go to very bizarre places, but to me, funny is funny. And James is funny every single time IMO.

• Like 4

I can 100% buy the idea that American Apparel shirts are made from Dov Charney's uhhhh Canadian exports.

attention real men: just added pics!

• Like 5

It seems to me that James has ALWAYS garnered mixed reactions. His bits are going to be polarizing because he often goes to really weird places. For example, most people seemed to hate the Dr Bronner character and Tim and Eric's reaction to the character within the episode - if you look at the feedback for that episode on here, it was mostly negative. Same with Merill Schindler and that character goes back to 2010 on CDR/CBB.

I always find James Adomian funny. I can't think of a single Adomian episode that I dislike. I love the way that he interacts with the other guests - he's sort of unlike any of the other character players in the way that he interacts with both Scott and the celebrity guests. It's often abrasive and can sometimes go to very bizarre places, but to me, funny is funny. And James is funny every single time IMO.

James is a fucking genius and as far as I'm concerned anyone who doesn't like his stuff can fuck right off. Go listen to Prairie Home Companion you wimps.

• Like 1

attention real men: just added pics!

Still missing Nathan's vocabulary list, but we'll take it. And I'm sure the folks at Bonobos will be happy that Scott has ditched the cap and put on a blazer.

• Like 1

The thing with a lot of Adomian's characters are that they're mostly horrible people, often aggressive and antagonistic It can physcially be tiring to listen to someone so abrasive for a whole podcast. I find Merill Schindler to be a great change of pace because he's a much more upbeat and positive character.

Adomian is a god, he can riff on anything. The "rope, hair, plausible? That is a great beginning to an alibi" line was gold for instance and that was not the easiest set up. I think people who don't like him are just more likely to mouth off about their delicate sensibilities. Heaven forbid Brett Gelman ever get booked again.....

• Like 2

I don't think I could put it any better myself. There really isn't a single character James does that I don't enjoy. The way that he sets things up and then just takes things as far left into the weirdest place possible is a joy to listen to. Especially when he takes Todd Glass completely off whatever train of thought he was on and when he catches Scott off guard even after all the time he's spent riffing with strange characters.

Also the fact that most of his characters have their own signature noises or vocal quirks (Leykis throwing l's into places they don't belong, the way Jesse Ventura says the letter "w", Paul Giamatti's donkey noises, etc.) is fun too. Not to mention the novelty effect of hearing him do a new character and discovering that they are a real person outside of the podcast. (Happened to me with Tom Leykis, Merill Schlinder, Huell Howser)

I'd also argue that going blue is basically mandatory when doing Dov. The allegations around him make him out to be a rather disturbing guy, so it's only commonplace that the character on the podcast would reflect that.

Because their voices are similar, I tried to imagine it was Matt Berninger of The National back on the show, playing a guy who loves nothing more than screwing female ducks.

Also the fact that most of his characters have their own signature noises or vocal quirks (Leykis throwing l's into places they don't belong, the way Jesse Ventura says the letter "w", Paul Giamatti's donkey noises, etc.) is fun too. Not to mention the novelty effect of hearing him do a new character and discovering that they are a real person outside of the podcast. (Happened to me with Tom Leykis, Merill Schlinder, Huell Howser)

It is so impressive how he can manipulate his voice. I'm surprised he hasn't done more voice acting. I know he's on word girl and a few one off episodes of Axe Cop, but he should really have is own animated show.

I too didn't realize Tom Leykis, Merill Shindler, and Huell Howser were real people at first. It's even more amazing knowing that.

• Like 1

There's something about his voice that makes his words even more disgusting and difficult to listen to.

Agreed--especially with Tom Leykis, there's like a slobberiness to the voice that, even though he's doing the character well and being funny, I just don't want to listen to more than once.

But, I will always be a James Adomian fan for his incredible version of Walt Whitman on the Dead Authors Podcast.

My favorite part of the Wengert duck was his navigation system: "My mom is up front, and my brothers and sisters are right behind her in a single-file line. I'm the littlest one."

• Like 2

"Corkscrew is second words"

nice unnoticed call-back from Brad

But Brad wasn't there when they talked about "second" being a synonym for "two." Man, I get real cheesed when they break continuity like that!!

Nathan Fielder just doesn't get the whole "Yes And" thing does he? :D

Hahaha you caught that too? The vibe was very strange at times. Another great ep though.

Man-duck is my new favorite character, lost my shit at "mowing down on some bread." Nathan's delivery was so comparatively stilted and deliberate compared to the other guests it actually ended up working really well when I got used to it, and a pall on Dov's house the Adomian curse has pointed at the bleachers of his mortality.

• Like 3

There are actually only twenty-nine unique words in the numbers 0-100.

There's zero to twenty, and then thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety and "hundred."

You get one more if Nathan can count to a thousand, and another if he can count to a million, and one more if he can count to a billion.

Nathan's really going to have his work cut out for him if he wants to hit that magic 500.

Edit: This is of course based on the insane logic they have constructed for themselves; I haven't just lost my mind.

• Like 4