🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 297 — Canadian Apparel

I worked for AA for an number of years and have met, worked, and hung out with Dov on many different occasions.

James has an uncanny impression of not just his voice and mannerisms, but also that bit about the model he mentioned? Well that wasn't just a bit. There were many "Dov's girls" like that just floating around living in hotel rooms in different towns. Dov was an unsettling and unhinged man and James does a wonderous job of showing how all his hang ups are comedic gold in the right light.

Also, I totally seen Dov make out with a seventeen year old. It was gross.

• Like 6

Andy Daly's characters are often even more disgusting and despicable than James Adomian's, but Andy has such a nice guy voice.

Yeah I'm going to disagree with this for a few reasons. First off, can you really say Hot Dog, Bill Carter, Byron Denniston, Gil & Golly, Clive Dundee, Patrick McMahon, or Jack Fitzgerald are more disgusting or despicable? Dalton Wilcox and August Lindt? It seems like everyone who tries to make this argument points to Don DiMello, Danny Mahoney, and Chip Gardner. Secondly, I don't think it's the voice. I think it's the one trick pony of "be loud and aggressively offensive" that gets old quickly. We get it; that's his thing, and the more every character is the exact same in spite of the voices sounding different, the more mediocre it becomes. I just don't get the heaps of praise calling him a genius for doing almost every impersonation in the exact same delivery with more or less the same "shock" value. It just comes across as a shitty morning radio DJ to me now.

@be easy on me,

Have you listened to Low-Hanging Fruit?

James' character work on CBB and other podcasts and appearances (including his album, which is why I mentioned it) is so insanely diverse and fun (and readily available) that I can't believe I even need to mention characters such as Huell Howser, Jesse Ventura, Gary Busey, Christopher Hitchens, Walt Whitman, Vincent Price, George W. Bush, Todd Glass, etc etc etc. These do not rely on any gross-out, shouty, 'shock-jock' behavior (which is an applied term I personally do not even agree using as a descriptor outside of Leykis).

The track 'Gay Villains' features not only Price and the Sheriff of Nottingham, but a bevy of characters ranging from Frank Gorshen's Riddler to Ursula the Sea Witch to the Jungle Book's Kaa the Python.

The man is a caricature machine. One could make an argument that maybe James should hold off on being 'gross' characters on CBB ('fevered egos' is a more accurate descriptor for the people James portrays), but that's entirely subjective to one's own tastes. But to argue Adomian is an obnoxious, shock value one-trick pony? That is patently false.

• Like 2

@be easy on me,

Have you listened to Low-Hanging Fruit?

James' character work on CBB and other podcasts and appearances (including his album, which is why I mentioned it) is so insanely diverse and fun (and readily available) that I can't believe I even need to mention characters such as Huell Howser, Jesse Ventura, Gary Busey, Christopher Hitchens, Walt Whitman, Vincent Price, George W. Bush, Todd Glass, etc etc etc. These do not rely on any gross-out, shouty, 'shock-jock' behavior (which is an applied term I personally do not even agree using as a descriptor outside of Leykis).

The track 'Gay Villains' features not only Price and the Sheriff of Nottingham, but a bevy of characters ranging from Frank Gorshen's Riddler to Ursula the Sea Witch to the Jungle Book's Kaa the Python.

The man is a caricature machine. One could make an argument that maybe James should hold off on being 'gross' characters on CBB ('fevered egos' is a more accurate descriptor for the people James portrays), but that's entirely subjective to one's own tastes. But to argue Adomian is an obnoxious, shock value one-trick pony? That is patently false.

Dead on fellow Adomian fan. His Walt Whitman episode of dead authors podcast stands out as the most incredible display of verbal acrobatics I have ever heard. I still get dizzy sometimes from how he jumps from metaphor to metaphor.

• Like 2

The best part of Dov's last appearance were all the fake clothing names. Slim slack half sock! I don't think he said any new ones this time. I realize he was playing off of recent news, but come on man... throw us a freshwater kimono slip. I also find it hilarious that James has portrayed two different disgraced clothing magnates.

James is a very smart and informed dude who makes some amazingly obscure references. Anyone that thinks he's a one trick pony should make themselves more familiar with all of his appearances.

And yea, his Walt Whitman Dead Authors episode is fantastic.

• Like 1

Nathan Fielder and Mike Birbiglia are the same person.

Like Jekyll and Hyde but on a fairly heavy tranquilizer to even out both sides.

• Like 1

There's a "Boat Four Sale" sign up on my street. I saw it and thought, Oh, a fellow Comedy Bang Bang fan!

• Like 1

Adomian seemed lame in this episode because Fielder wasn't Yes, anding, which is kind of expected.

These do not rely on any gross-out, shouty, 'shock-jock' behavior (which is an applied term I personally do not even agree using as a descriptor outside of Leykis).

I don't agree with using that term at all, ever. Everyone knows the correct term is "shocking disc jockey."

• Like 6

Real-Men.jpg

(Or whatever's around, but a lot of times it's bread.)

Excellent detail work on the corkscrew penis.

So it turns out maybe James was actually going easy on Dov Charney...

http://gawker.com/he...rney-1713322622

Dov is one of my fav Adomian characs. I hope he brings him back to speak on this. Also, grep.

Guest KaaSkkk

Adomian in this episode really gave me the giggles. He just gets more and more absurd. Which is the best with improv! Go James!