🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 39 — Sean O'Connor, Our Close Friend

I really enjoy your show.

I would like to know, when you do a "day in the life" of some hollywood person, or similar segments where you talk about a hollywood person's life or beliefs; is it true?

Are the main points that you illustrate in these segments genuine and what you believe?

Thanks for the great show!

• Like 3

Thank you Game of Scones.

I'm fascinated in how there are some minds able to see through patterns of behaviour to get an insight into the root or seed idea that underlies it all.

To see such things that the people themselves cannot see, and, obviously if they are rich and famous, other people around them cannot see either.

I love the humour that comes from expressing these insights.

Like exaggerating the implications of that "seed" like in the story about the guy going to the public library to wipe his ass with his oscars.

Going along with that seed and making statements that one would hear from that type of person... but because they say it with a bit of a silly voice, or with super earnestness, it points out the absurdity or flaws of that point of view.

Are there other ways of expressing such insights into the nature of a behaviour, person, or idea, in a way that makes it funny, other than these?

Im sure there are, i would love to hear about others!

The other thing that comes up for me is a bit of fear.

If these types of minds, like the Hollywood Handbook boys have, can see with such clarity into the behaviour or thinking of people who are very successful... there must be a ton of things that i take for granted myself and are part of my self and world view that look equally as transparently false or flawed to them.

The fear is that i could have my self and world view so easily shattered and made fun of, and not only that, but made fun of in a way that is really funny to everyone and makes a lot of people laugh... which adds a hell of a lot of power into it.

Because not only is a fundamental unseen flaw being pointed out... but people are laughing at me for having that flaw... and not only are people laughing at me for having that flaw but A LOT of people are laughing at me for being the way i am because the person expressing that fault is an expert comedian and very funny.

Which, i imagine, would be soul crushing.

And im not even a successful hollywood bigshot, im just some guy, so i bet there are a ton of such flaws in my self and world view.

The only thing that gives me comfort is reminding myself that i have a genuine interest in addressing and removing any false beliefs about my self and the world that i may have, in the interest of personal and spiritual growth.

And, should such a mind point out such a flaw i have; i am interested in further dialogue about this flaw so i may learn and change.

And if the person who did point out such a thing about myself, in such an insightful and funny way, are not interested in further conversation about this flaw, in the interest of understanding and learning from this insight... then that is a flaw in them that is far greater than any flaw i might have pointed out about myself.

And i can feel ok that, even though i have flaws, i still have the highest virtue of the desire to participate in reason... which is the thing that allows one to address and remove one's flaws and develop as a person and a soul.

• Like 3

sheesh

• Like 7

I'm fascinated in how there are some minds able to see through patterns of behaviour to get an insight into the root or seed idea that underlies it all.

To see such things that the people themselves cannot see, and, obviously if they are rich and famous, other people around them cannot see either.

Like exaggerating the implications of that "seed" like in the story about the guy going to the public library to wipe his ass with his oscars.

Going along with that seed and making statements that one would hear from that type of person... but because they say it with a bit of a silly voice, or with super earnestness, it points out the absurdity or flaws of that point of view.

Are there other ways of expressing such insights into the nature of a behaviour, person, or idea, in a way that makes it funny, other than these?

If these types of minds, like the Hollywood Handbook boys have, can see with such clarity into the behaviour or thinking of people who are very successful... there must be a ton of things that i take for granted myself and are part of my self and world view that look equally as transparently false or flawed to them.

The fear is that i could have my self and world view so easily shattered and made fun of, and not only that, but made fun of in a way that is really funny to everyone and makes a lot of people laugh... which adds a hell of a lot of power into it.

Because not only is a fundamental unseen flaw being pointed out... but people are laughing at me for having that flaw... and not only are people laughing at me for having that flaw but A LOT of people are laughing at me for being the way i am because the person expressing that fault is an expert comedian and very funny.

And im not even a successful hollywood bigshot, im just some guy, so i bet there are a ton of such flaws in my self and world view.

The only thing that gives me comfort is reminding myself that i have a genuine interest in addressing and removing and false beliefs about my self and the world that i may have, in the interest of personal and spiritual growth.

And, should such a mind point out such a flaw i have; i am interested in further dialogue about this flaw so i may learn and change.

And if the person who did point out such a thing about myself, in such an insightful and funny way are not interested in further conversation about this flaw, in the interest of understanding and learning from this insight... then that is a flaw in them that is far greater than any flaw i might have pointed out about myself.

And i can feel ok that, even though i have flaws, i still have the highest virtue of the desire to participate in reason... which is the thing that allows one to address and remove one's flaws and develop as a person and a soul.

I believe in the RSS days this would be called a "game changer."

• Like 4

Hey Ged, um you okay man? Ged, you good man? everything okay?

Maybe check out rss #6 and uh... you alright man? cause you're a great poster man, we know that... you good buddy?

...you okay man?

• Like 4

The only thing that gives me comfort is reminding myself that i have a genuine interest in addressing and removing and false beliefs about my self and the world that i may have, in the interest of personal and spiritual growth.

And if the person who did point out such a thing about myself, in such an insightful and funny way are not interested in further conversation about this flaw, in the interest of understanding and learning from this insight... then that is a flaw in them that is far greater than any flaw i might have pointed out about myself.

Idk what you're talking about bruh, this is just a baller show that gives me hot scoops on showbiz life

• Like 3

...I really like that you took the time to be thoughtful about this podcast and the emotions it evokes within yourself.

I suppose I am interested in similar things, but I cannot say that this podcast, in particular, piqued my curiosity in such ways. From now on it probably will.

I think one of the aspects of comedy that is very useful is its ability to take ideas that seem harmless in small doses to their logical extremes either by exaggerating them or presenting crazy ideas as though they are normal. I suppose such things are inherently dangerous because, as one might guess, some people hold those beliefs and might actually use a satirical or comedic work as a rallying cry. The Colbert Report comes to mind. I think comedy's ability to be a mirror for society as a whole is something that makes it so important to any and all societies. This is also why, in my opinion, comedy ought to be respected as an art form which, like other art forms, has its low-brow, high-brow, and everything in-between communities.

I also think that your recognition of people who can see through the behavior of others is interesting. It seems as though you definitely see the positive aspect of such an ability, but (and you may already know this) the other side of that same coin seems to be that such people are always taking things apart and such an impulse can be very disruptive and uncomfortable for the people around them, not to mention for themselves. I'm not sure it's something that one can turn on or off; at least not easily.

After reflecting on your post for a bit, I think that I share your same desire for truth in all things (I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth by saying this). I'm not sure it would be a good thing if all people felt the same way, but that's above my figurative pay-grade for this forum. A quote that this reminded me of, and one that is very dear to me, is from Thoreau's Walden: "Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

I like that we can be funny and intellectual on this forum. It feels more complete that way.

...penis. (to maintain my street cred)

• Like 3

much as i love them i dont think hayes and sean need some sort of piercing superhuman xray vision into people's psyches to be able to make the jokes "alexander payne is self-involved" or "kevin smith is a fat person"

pretend i took 7 paragraphs to say that tho so i can get in on intellectualposting

• Like 7

Hmm, where to begin...

Comedy (from the Greek: κωμῳδία, kōmōidía), in the contemporary meaning of the term, is any discourse or work generally intended to be humorous or to amuse by inducing laughter, especially in theatre, television, film and stand-up comedy. This sense of the term must be carefully distinguished from its academic one, namely the comic theatre, whose Western origins are found in Ancient Greece. In the Athenian democracy, the public opinion of voters was influenced by the political satire performed by the comic poets at the theaters.[1] The theatrical genre can be simply described as a dramatic performance which pits two societies against each other in an amusing agon or conflict. Northrop Frye famously depicted these two opposing sides as a "Society of Youth" and a "Society of the Old",[2] but this dichotomy is seldom described as an entirely satisfactory explanation. A later view characterizes the essential agon of comedy as a struggle between a relatively powerless youth and the societal conventions that pose obstacles to his hopes. In this struggle, the youth is understood to be constrained by his lack of social authority, and is left with little choice but to take recourse in ruses which engender very dramatic irony which provokes laughter.[3]

Satire and political satire use ironic comedy to portray persons or social institutions as ridiculous or corrupt, thus alienating their audience from the object of humor. Satire is a type of comedy. Parody subverts popular genres and forms, using certain ironic changes to critique those forms from within (though not necessarily in a condemning way). Screwball comedy derives its humor largely from bizarre, surprising (and improbable) situations or characters. Black comedy is defined by dark humor that makes light of so-called dark or evil elements in human nature.

Similarly scatological humor, sexual humor, and race humor create comedy by violating social conventions or taboos in comic ways. A comedy of manners typically takes as its subject a particular part of society (usually upper class society) and uses humor to parody or satirize the behavior and mannerisms of its members. Romantic comedy is a popular genre that depicts burgeoning romance in humorous terms and focuses on the foibles of those who are falling in love.

• Like 7

I haven't read like anything you guys wrote this week but I'm giving you all invisible likes based on merit. Well done, all. I'm proud of you.

• Like 5

I like this show!

Hell yeah. This is what im talking about. I mean, he over intellectualized a little bit there at the end, but this is still by far the headiest post of the week.

Fucking solid first post. No irony. This dude gets it.

• Like 5

I like this show!

Not funny.