🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 87.5 — Minisode 87.5

Hulkamaniacs rejoice as next week it’s Mr. Nanny time! Paul jumps into some new segments including “Love It, Hate It, Loved To Hate It” where he shares what he loved, hated, and loved to hate this past week. Then, Paul gets into a classic segment as he goes through some listener Corrections & Omissions for Easy Rider 2. Plus, Paul exclaims that we need a new Ernest as he gives As to your Qs. FYI: The theme for HDTGM LIVE AT LARGO on 7/19 will be sweaty Italian men & sequins as the 8pm movie will be Staying Alive & the 10pm movie will be Rhinestone. Tickets are still available for the 10pm show so head over to www.largo-la.com now!

• Like 1

First, They Came Together is amazing. Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Cobie Smulders, Bill Hader, Ellie Kemper, Ed Helms, and Jason, it is fantastic cast that did fantastic work. Second, Pink Floyd T-Shirt Wearing is my second favorite genre, behind the random sports scene genre. And finally, I can't believe i'm going to watch another damn Hulk Hogen movie.

• Like 3

"Hulkamaniacs rejoice"

Hmm, I'm not a Hulkamaniac, it sounds like so much fun though, they get to rejoice, and according to Hulk Hogans rap album (which is a thing, somehow), they hang out with their family and friends, and always swim with a buddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GDy65ZYsI

It genuinely made my week when I heard they are going to be back to the regular schedule. Hooray!

• Like 2

"Hulkamaniacs rejoice"

Hmm, I'm not a Hulkamaniac, it sounds like so much fun though, they get to rejoice, and according to Hulk Hogans rap album (which is a thing, somehow), they hang out with their family and friends, and always swim with a buddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GDy65ZYsI

Well, you missed out his greatest musical triumph

Also, if you want to read up on more Hogan, check out the "Lies of Hulkamania" Thread http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/15535-in-honour-of-a-night-of-hulkamania-i-present-the-lies-of-hulkmania/

I saw this when I was a kid and just rewatched it and damn...this shit it so crazy and so good. Also we're back boys!!!!!! Weekly HDTGM is BACK! I just came in my pants.

First, like everyone else, I am overjoyed that HDTGM is back for regular podcasting. May the literal crazyballs commence!

Also, much thanks to Mr. Paul Scheer for reading my Correction and Omission comment on this episode; the whole thing even! I will not lie, it gave me the giggles on an otherwise crappy morning. Finally, my Baseball nerdom combines with my film nerdom in a fortuitous fashion!

• Like 1

James Franco will play Tommy Wiseau

Dave Franco will play Greg Sestero

Yeah, to add to this Correction of a Correction, Tommy Wiseau more or less confirmed he will be played by James back at a Toronto screening I attended in March. I remember strongly because the Q&A was literally bonkers. A fan asked him what he thought of Franco's involvement. Tommy Wiseau seemed confused as to whether the person meant Franco as diretcor or Franco as actor, and said something like:

"We have meeting, and I talk to him, this is very important. And I ask him, 'Do you have vision?' And he says yes. And I say that's good. Then I ask 'But do you have execution?' And he says 'WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!' And I say 'It is most important part!'

... So, I don't know. Franco is okay. I would prefer Johnny Depp, but Franco is okay."

Then he asked Greg Sestero who he thought should play Tommy in the movie, and he said Sylvester Stallone.

Personally I would like to see John Malkovich as Tommy Wiseau with the right black hair wig on he would have the right skin tone and voice for the charactor. Plus he's got the passion and crazyness that is needed for the your tearing me apart scene. it would be oscer winning role for him.

1z3rnuo.jpg

I love Paul's idea of a new Ernest movie where Ernest goes to the Supreme Court! Paul said we need a new Ernest, I mean hello, I nominate you, Paul! You've shown us your strong ability to impersonate with Arscheerio, now we need Scheernest Goes To Washington!!! Also I feel like there were a couple of Michael Jackson references in the Q and A portion of this Minisode, "Why do you do me this way" and Beat or Eat it referencing the MJ song and the parody of Beat It by Weird Al. Strange coincidence?

• Like 1

On the Nic Cage playing both the good guy and the bad guy, Face-off comes to mind. He is the bad guy (Caster Troy) at the beginning of the movie but his "face" is put on the good guy's (Archer) body, making him the good guy until the end, when the Archer gets John Travolta's face back.

Do you think they burn Nic Cage's face at the end or could they make a sequel with the face on another bad guy. Maybe call it "Face-Off 2, Face Your Enemy"

On the subject of Ernest movie ideas... did anyone else get the impression that Mr. Nanny is basically an Ernest movie starring Hulk Hogan? There's just so many jokes requiring silliness, charming ignorance, and physical comedy from the main character (things Hulk has no business doing) that you could have easily just put in Jim Varney in the role and you'd have the same movie. Replace the weightlifting bits with janitorial bits (instead of a weight room, you could be in a storage closet with cleaning products that go haywire like the floor buffer in Ernest Goes to Jail) and instead of flashbacks involving Hulk getting beat up, you get flashbacks with Ernest being scolded by a teacher (also played by Varney) for failing another math test or something. The kids would treat him with the same disrespect, the villains would be just as dismissive, and the black maid would still call him an idiot and whack him with a spoon for trying to eat her chocolate frosting (wait... what?). Hell, Jim Varney in a tutu is probably way funnier than Hulk in the same getup.

I felt like Mr. Nanny was a Home Alone clone they but forgot that the antagonist is the one that is supposed to be sadistically tortured, not the protagonist.

Yes there are several gags ripped directly from Home Alone raised to an absurd level. Yes the supermagnet was crazy. I don't think Kevin Mcalister would have the know how, skills, or materials needed to build such a device. Also this movie came out a 2 years after home alone and 1 year after the sequel. So needless to say they took a lot of stuff from it.

Anyone else find it crazy just how weak and gentile the father was in this movie. It was like nothing phased him even when he was being tortured and his kids were kidnapped. He was the biggest pussy I have ever seen depicted on film. I was expecting him to have some kind of arch where he becomes a good father or grows a pair of balls but it never happened. Also HOW THE FUCK DID GEORGE JEFFERSON BECOME A POLICE CHIEF at the end of the movie?

Okay this is a terrible film. I'm not saying otherwise. It is awful, horrible, putrid and embarrassing. But, saying all that, Hogan is way better in this than he was in No Holds Barred, right? I'm not crazy for thinking that, right?

Also I feel like there were a couple of Michael Jackson references in the Q and A portion of this Minisode, "Why do you do me this way" and Beat or Eat it referencing the MJ song and the parody of Beat It by Weird Al. Strange coincidence?

I have no doubts in my mind that the question was ONLY about MJ vs Weird Al

I have no doubts in my mind that the question was ONLY about MJ vs Weird Al

You understand that you're replying to all these threads years after the fact, right? Hopefully by this time next year you'll be caught up -- I hope you enjoy Solarbabies as much as I did.

You understand that you're replying to all these threads years after the fact, right?

Yeah, I know. I was late to the party. Even though I'm replying so late, I'm still enjoying them and can't help but want to post my thoughts. I hope to be caught up soon, too. I've actually heard most of the regular eps already and wound up going back to hear the mini's to see what they're all about. In order to give them better context, I found myself in a nostalgic spiral and had to start over pairing the minis with the reg episodes. Call me a ridiculous completionist, if you will. It's nice to get a sense of how those involved in podcasts developed their rapport over the years. I'm totally aware at how strange it seems when, 2-10 years after they were posted, I wind up here struggling to gain a foothold in the community who also enjoy these podcasts.

P.S. I love your handle

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this