🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
TamaraLeeLee

Good Movies Recommendations

I get that.

I finally got around to Sing Street yesterday and I thought it was okay as well. The music is ah-mah-zing (Casey Wilson voice) but the story seemed to fizzle out for me and I was left feeling like there was a lot left to desire. And I know a ton of people who thought it was the best movie of the year so I'm kinda like wait what.

I loved that movie. It wasn't my favorite of the year, but I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age movies about goofy kids, though, so that's a large part of it. I also really liked Jack Reynor (the older brother) in it, and I'm super excited to see him in Free Fire when that comes out.

I loved that movie. It wasn't my favorite of the year, but I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age movies about goofy kids, though, so that's a large part of it. I also really liked Jack Reynor (the older brother) in it, and I'm super excited to see him in Free Fire when that comes out.

I've realized that the love story is a big part of why I don't care for it tbh. The girl seemed to be that manic pixie dream girl trope that's overplayed these days. Everything else was pretty amazing and I loved seeing how the three children coped with their parents marriage, how he would deal with the priests and bullies, and how music meant so much to them but when they went away from all of that I would lose interest. And the love story is a huge chunk of the movie so yeah.

• Like 1

I've realized that the love story is a big part of why I don't care for it tbh. The girl seemed to be that manic pixie dream girl trope that's overplayed these days. Everything else was pretty amazing and I loved seeing how the three children coped with their parents marriage, how he would deal with the priests and bullies, and how music meant so much to them but when they went away from all of that I would love interest. And the love story is a huge chunk of the movie so yeah.

Yeah, that's definitely the weakest part of the story. I was hoping it was going to end with them going their own ways (like Carney's other films).

• Like 1

Yeah, that's definitely the weakest part of the story. I was hoping it was going to end with them going their own ways (like Carney's other films).

That's what I was hoping for too! I heard that he regretted not having Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo end up together in the end of Begin Again so I wonder if this was a sort of do-over for him.

That's what I was hoping for too! I heard that he regretted not having Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo end up together in the end of Begin Again so I wonder if this was a sort of do-over for him.

Eww, no!

• Like 1

Having just watched it, I cannot recommend Mascots on Netflix highly enough. It carries the same dry humor of Christopher Guest's other work but adds in a bit more raunch. The usual Guest regulars do a great job and there are many quick side jokes that make the scenes really stand out and even features a great Waiting For Guffman cameo.

• Like 1

Having just watched it, I cannot recommend Mascots on Netflix highly enough. It carries the same dry humor of Christopher Guest's other work but adds in a bit more raunch. The usual Guest regulars do a great job and there are many quick side jokes that make the scenes really stand out and even features a great Waiting For Guffman cameo.

Really? I thought that movie was awful. The only people I thought were funny in it were Parker Posey (because she's amazing in everything) and Susan Yeagley. I got excited because I heard Maria Blasucci was in it, but even she couldn't save it for me. I usually love Christopher Guest, but that one just felt really mediocre.

• Like 1

Yeah for me it worked because Guest can really create lifelike characters based on how we perceive them, and whenever I see a mascot I imagine them as being these people. Listening to the guy in charge of the Gluten Free Channel talk about his past in other esoteric channels and the horrible controversies that occurred in them after prefacing that GFC was "nationally broadcast in two cities," landed for me in a way I just can't really explain.

Holy shit, you guys. Manchester by the Sea just kind of destroyed me. I was really looking forward to it, but I didn't expect it to be as amazing as it is. Michelle Williams should sweep all the Supporting Actress awards this season, and I'd be okay if Affleck did pretty well, too. This movie hit me as hard as the largely overrated Moonlight seems to have hit others.

• Like 1

I go in for a different kind of good movie.

Defendor (2009) http://www.imdb.com/...=ttvi_vi_imdb_2

I think this one went completely under the radar. I've never seen or heard anyone talk about it. Bout an orphan'd simpleton(Woody Harrelson) who grows up with a grudge against a fictitious character of the man he thinks killed his mother. Turns vigilante, calls himself Defendor, starts a crusade against crooked cops and criminals with the aid of his prostitute friend-come-caregiver (Kat Dennings). Sandra Oh as his court appointed psychiatrist. Elias Koteas as a crooked cop. Fantastic superhero satire with heart and a lot of great gags. But at the same time, it's batshit crazy. Thought about posting this one in the movie/episode I'd like to host thread but I don't wanna disparage it too much. I love it.

• Like 1

I go in for a different kind of good movie.

Defendor (2009) http://www.imdb.com/...=ttvi_vi_imdb_2

I think this one went completely under the radar. I've never seen or heard anyone talk about it. Bout an orphan'd simpleton(Woody Harrelson) who grows up with a grudge against a fictitious character of the man he thinks killed his mother. Turns vigilante, calls himself Defendor, starts a crusade against crooked cops and criminals with the aid of his prostitute friend-come-caregiver (Kat Dennings). Sandra Oh as his court appointed psychiatrist. Elias Koteas as a crooked cop. Fantastic superhero satire with heart and a lot of great gags. But at the same time, it's batshit crazy. Thought about posting this one in the movie/episode I'd like to host thread but I don't wanna disparage it too much. I love it.

I remember seeing trailers for it but it kinda fell by the wayside as Kick-Ass had come out and the Super Came out shortly after, which sort of swallowed this one up.

I remember seeing trailers for it but it kinda fell by the wayside as Kick-Ass had come out and the Super Came out shortly after, which sort of swallowed this one up.

No doubt. But it's unfortunate because if I had to rank them I'd have Defendor 1st, Super 2nd, and Kick-ass last.

There are a lot of similarities between Defendor and Super. But the characters in defendor are all so much more likable and there's no get-the-girl, stalking crazy boyfriend aspect to it. Just a kind-hearted imbecile and the people who can't help caring about him despite the stupid things he does.

No doubt. But it's unfortunate because if I had to rank them I'd have Defendor 1st, Super 2nd, and Kick-ass last.

There are a lot of similarities between Defendor and Super. But the characters in defendor are all so much more likable and there's no get-the-girl, stalking crazy boyfriend aspect to it. Just a kind-hearted imbecile and the people who can't help caring about him despite the stupid things he does.

It's kinda interesting with Kick-Ass as the comic book is more like Super than what the movie was, which I think a major studio felt needed to be changed in order for a wide release. I loved Super in that it was basically the real way a superhero would end up if he tried to take on even a small scale drug operation like Kevin Bacon had in the film, and I'll have to get around to seeing Defendor.

It's kinda interesting with Kick-Ass as the comic book is more like Super than what the movie was, which I think a major studio felt needed to be changed in order for a wide release. I loved Super in that it was basically the real way a superhero would end up if he tried to take on even a small scale drug operation like Kevin Bacon had in the film, and I'll have to get around to seeing Defendor.

Y'all.

La La Land.

For real. It's my #1 for the year now. It was Manchester by the Sea, but La La Land is exactly the kind of movie I needed. It's straight up perfection from start to finish.

• Like 1

I initially typed a response for a good movie I think the crew should do, but I realize now that may not be the point. Here's my actual recommendation.

One good film that flies under the radar (at least from what I've noticed) is Australian film "The Proposition". Gritty Western style with some great acting (Guy Pearce, Emily Watson). I saw it when it first came out and it has stuck with me. I haven't seen it for a while and need to pick it up again.

• Like 2

I initially typed a response for a good movie I think the crew should do, but I realize now that may not be the point. Here's my actual recommendation.

One good film that flies under the radar (at least from what I've noticed) is Australian film "The Proposition". Gritty Western style with some great acting (Guy Pearce, Emily Watson). I saw it when it first came out and it has stuck with me. I haven't seen it for a while and need to pick it up again.

The Proposition is a great Meatpie Western and in regards to other great Australian genre flicks, Animal Kingdom is a great crime drama with an amazing cast and The Rover is a really good dystopian revenge film with Guy Pierce.

• Like 2

I don't know if this is a straight recommendation, but Nocturnal Animals fucked me up in the best way possible. Speaking about an artist's struggle with creativity, not wanting to sell themselves out and just do something for the money, and then that ultimate realization that we are just like our mothers. Shit that fucked me up.

It's weird, and disturbing at times, and the whole movie starts out with imagery that'll make most of this country very uncomfortable but I understand why Tom Ford did it. It's very rare that I can sit in a theater and just say, "I fucking get all of this!!!"

So yeah it's amazing but I know it's one of those movies that people are either really going to love or really going to hate. View at your own risk and don't blame me if you hate it.

Oh also for a "fuck this movie" corner... Fuuuck Passengers. I haven't even seen it yet, but I was incredibly excited to finally watch it. Not anymore! I saw an article about why people are hating it so I read it, and holy shit fuck this movie.

Chris Pratt is the only hibernation pod that malfunctions and then just makes the decision to pick the most beautiful girl, stalks through her entire life through online info, falls in love with this sleeping woman, and opens her pod up without her consent. Ultimately dooming her to death and a life of loneliness with only him at her side. This all happens in the first act so the rest of the movie while you are watching her fall in love with him you have that info in the back of your mind. It makes me very uncomfortable just thinking about it. Fuck this movie.

• Like 1

Martin (1978). Written and directed by George Romero [...of the Dead]. Hands down my favorite movie of all time. Technically a horror movie, but character driven and light on gore. The writing and the acting are superb. Easily his best film.

So yeah it's amazing but I know it's one of those movies that people are either really going to love or really going to hate.

Count me firmly in the latter. The only things I found enjoyable about the movie were Michael Shannon (because he's the best) and Jake Gyllenhaal's hilarious accent.

• Like 1

Oh also for a "fuck this movie" corner... Fuuuck Passengers. I haven't even seen it yet, but I was incredibly excited to finally watch it. Not anymore! I saw an article about why people are hating it so I read it, and holy shit fuck this movie.

Chris Pratt is the only hibernation pod that malfunctions and then just makes the decision to pick the most beautiful girl, stalks through her entire life through online info, falls in love with this sleeping woman, and opens her pod up without her consent. Ultimately dooming her to death and a life of loneliness with only him at her side. This all happens in the first act so the rest of the movie while you are watching her fall in love with him you have that info in the back of your mind. It makes me very uncomfortable just thinking about it. Fuck this movie.

I just got out of it, and I don't think it's THAT awful.

WARNING: THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS HERE THAT GO PRETTY MUCH UP TO THE END OF THE FILM, SO COLLAPSE THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THEM

He's on the edge of killing himself because he's trapped in a ship for another 90 years with zero human companionship. It clearly drives him crazy, and as he's walking away from a failed suicide attempt, he sees JLaw. He becomes fascinated with her, and he looks up her info in the ship database and falls in love with her profile and her writing (she's a journalist daughter of a famous writer). He 100% falls in love with this creepy, idealized version of her. Then he wrestles with whether or not he should set her free.

His only other companion on the ship is an android bartender played fantastically by Michael Sheen. The movie shows him wrestling with whether or not he should do it, and he eventually does. It's definitely still a creeper move, but that's the tension that drives the second act.

My big problem comes at the end of the second act where he basically forces her to hear his side of the story (which echoes a real creepy stalker move), and it's then forgotten about when one of the ship's crew wakes up and they find out that the ship is destined to be destroyed. He has a big redemption moment that plays out largely like you think it will (I actually went to the bathroom and missed the very end because I needed to pee really bad and knew exactly where it was going, and my friends confirmed it was what was obviously going to happen).

It's not a great movie, and I still have a lot of the same issues that you described with it, but it wasn't AS BAD as I had anticipated.

• Like 1

I just got out of it, and I don't think it's THAT awful.

WARNING: THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS HERE THAT GO PRETTY MUCH UP TO THE END OF THE FILM, SO COLLAPSE THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THEM

He's on the edge of killing himself because he's trapped in a ship for another 90 years with zero human companionship. It clearly drives him crazy, and as he's walking away from a failed suicide attempt, he sees JLaw. He becomes fascinated with her, and he looks up her info in the ship database and falls in love with her profile and her writing (she's a journalist daughter of a famous writer). He 100% falls in love with this creepy, idealized version of her. Then he wrestles with whether or not he should set her free.

His only other companion on the ship is an android bartender played fantastically by Michael Sheen. The movie shows him wrestling with whether or not he should do it, and he eventually does. It's definitely still a creeper move, but that's the tension that drives the second act.

My big problem comes at the end of the second act where he basically forces her to hear his side of the story (which echoes a real creepy stalker move), and it's then forgotten about when one of the ship's crew wakes up and they find out that the ship is destined to be destroyed. He has a big redemption moment that plays out largely like you think it will (I actually went to the bathroom and missed the very end because I needed to pee really bad and knew exactly where it was going, and my friends confirmed it was what was obviously going to happen).

It's not a great movie, and I still have a lot of the same issues that you described with it, but it wasn't AS BAD as I had anticipated.

I don't think the movie is going to be as bad as people are saying it is, but my discomfort sitting through those parts outweighs my love for both of those actors and any kind of redemption the movie can have for itself.

I wouldn't have such a problem with it if there were some actual consequences for his actions, which it sounds like there isn't. I guess it also depends on how it's actually played out on screen, cause reading it sounds SUPER creepy and disturbing and I don't think I could actually pay attention to the rest of the movie knowing that he did that.

It would be way more interesting if it turned into some Misery situation where he starts going crazy after she finds out and then she's having this battle with surviving the ship AND him at the same time.

• Like 3

It would be way more interesting if it turned into some Misery situation where he starts going crazy after she finds out and then she's having this battle with surviving the ship AND him at the same time.

Or…

…if he wakes her up only to discover she was a vampire who faked her identity to stow away on the ship, and now he has to stop her from gradually turning all of the remaining colonists during the 90-year trip to her new vampire colony.

Upon DVD release, the movie will be renamed Rise of The Planet of The Vampires in preparation for sequels.

• Like 4

I can't recommend Les Intouchables (2011) enough.

It's loosely based on a true story of Driss (Omar Sy), a petty criminal who has just been released from prison. who walks into an interview for a position as a carer for quadraplegic millionaire, Phillipe (Francois Cluzet) so he can claim his jobseekers allowance, only to be given the job. Despite him having no qualifications, and nobody really wanting a thief living in a mansion with a quadraplegic millionaire.

Genuinely, one of the most feel good movies you can imagine, beautiful story of friendship.