🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
TamaraLeeLee

Good Movies Recommendations

Also, you have to see "The Resurrection of Jake The Snake" on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnU8o4nWXo

If you've seen The Wrestler, that whole thing was based upon Jake "The Snake" Roberts and his descent from being one of the most popular wrestlers in the world, to losing everything to alcohol and drug abuse, it had gotten to the point where other wrestlers were running a pool to guess when Jake was gonna die.

It tells the story of Diamand Dallas Page reaching out to him, and starting him on his recovery to getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame and helping out fellow wrestler Scott Hall along the way.

Also, you have to see "The Resurrection of Jake The Snake" on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnU8o4nWXo

If you've seen The Wrestler, that whole thing was based upon Jake "The Snake" Roberts and his descent from being one of the most popular wrestlers in the world, to losing everything to alcohol and drug abuse, it had gotten to the point where other wrestlers were running a pool to guess when Jake was gonna die.

It tells the story of Diamand Dallas Page reaching out to him, and starting him on his recovery to getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame and helping out fellow wrestler Scott Hall along the way.

Dude. That's really weird. I watched that movie months ago, and I was talking about it today to my coworkers because they were talking about the drug that Jake was on that was supposed to make him feel sick when he drank booze. That's a really awesome story, and I love that doc so much!

Dude. That's really weird. I watched that movie months ago, and I was talking about it today to my coworkers because they were talking about the drug that Jake was on that was supposed to make him feel sick when he drank booze. That's a really awesome story, and I love that doc so much!

It's incredible, especially if you watch "Beyond The Mat" beforehand, where you see him wresting in high school gyms. After that was filmed, he took part in the infamous "Heroes of Wrestling" PPV, which is considered the absolute worst show in wrestling history, it included former World Champion, Yokozuna half way through his attempt to break the world record of Heaviest Pro Wrestler Ever, and was weighing close to 800lbs, matches where the wrestlers didn't even know who was winning, but most importantly, it had absolute rock-bottom Jake Roberts

Jake was absolutely shitfaced, included things like:

- A nonsensical rambling promo where he seemingly didn't understand the rules of Blackjack

- Started making his entrance, changed his mind, walked to the back, but then changed his mind again and walked to the ring

- Walked up to a woman sitting at ringside, grabbed her hands and made her rub his chest

- Took the snake which he carried in a bag out, held it to his crotch and acted as if he was masturbating

Baring in mind, that happened in 1999, three years prior, he was in the WWF and they fired him because he was too much of a fuck up. So to go from that to the end of The Resurrection of Jake the Snake is incredible.

I'm years behind on this, but I finally got around to watching the Martian. I was impressed, despite a few eye-rolling "Hollywood" moments. For a long movie, it's paced surprisingly well. Ridley Scott defied Sickboy's Unifying Theory on this one.

• Like 1

I fucking loved The Resurrection of Jake the Snake because as a kid he was my favorite wrestler and to see him like he was in Beyond the Mat was crushing. I got to see him at a local convention but the crowd around him was too long for me to get an autograph, and this was a year before he really cleaned up and made it into the Hall of Fame. Watching what DDP did with Roberts and Scott Hall, easily the two biggest drug abusers in the history of pro wrestling, really should attest to that man's dedication to helping his friends. Also DDP Yoga really fucking works, just doing the starting workout and basic stretches burned 20 pounds off me within the first month and it's great in that it's not a strict regiment, you can modify the positions to you ability and body functionality.

As for other good movies, I can't recommend highly enough The Long Good Friday, which features Bob Hoskins as a British mobster trying to expand his empire but all of his holdings begin to get attacked causing him to try and figure out who's doing it and why. I found it on DVD through Amazon but someone posted it in whole on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxkhlPjKSR0

Another documentary that i just loved was called Breaking a Monster. It's about a trio of middle schoolers who formed a metal band called Unlocking the Truth who would perform in Times Square and gained a big following on Youtube. The movie follows their eventual signing of a manager and becoming the youngest band to perform at Bonaroo, Coachella, and the Warped Tour, before signing a near 2 million dollar deal with Sony. Their story is great and even better they are fantastic musicians.

Another one which you can find on Netflix is the Billy Corben's documentary, Dawg Fight (2015).

It tells the story of Dhafir "Dada 5000" Harris, who runs a prominent bare-knuckle fighting promotion in Miami, the same region that gave the late Kimbo Slice his start. I can't find the trailer for it, and I doubt anyone would want any of the fight clips on here. But give it a watch, it's fascinating, particularly the community aspect of it all.

13 Assassins (2011) is an absolute must watch

That's a fucking great movie. Takashi Miike is one of my favorite Japanese filmmakers (along with Sion Sono and Hitoshi Matsumoto). I'm not a big fan of Ichi the Killer or Audition, but I like most of his other work - in large part because it's so fucking bizarre and varied. Last year, he put out a movie called Yakuza Apocalypse about yakuza vampires, and it's fucking awesome.

My favorite Miike movie, though, is one called The Happiness of the Katakuris:

It's a VERY loose remake of a South Korean film called The Quiet Family. Basically, a family opens up a bed and breakfast-type place, and everyone who stays with them ends up dying. It's hard to really describe what makes the movie so great, but it's a totally strange genre mishmash that works perfectly.

• Like 1

This is the problem with seeing so many movies in a year that I forget the really good and bad. Avoid Sea of Trees like the plague, I can't believe such a shitty movie could be made featuring Matthew McConaughey, Ken Watanabe, and directed by Gus Van Sant, but they found a way somehow.

• Like 1

La La Land. Yep. Just yep. Yep.

RIGHT?! My favorite movie of the year, and I haven't been able to stop listening to the soundtrack. It's so goddamn good.

• Like 1