🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Ideas for a forum project. I think a Mike Detective style podcast would be super fun, and horror stories could be super fun. We could all write stories that take place in a single haunted house. Think American Horror story, but with a couple more laughs. That's just one idea, and any more are welcome.

• Like 2

the issues i have with going horror is

A. there is a fairly popular cosmic horror podcast called Welcome to Nightvale that i feel like we will have comparisons with regardless of how little in common the shows have. this is a very small problem because on the one hand who cares and on the other hand so long as we dont do a bunch of so-rando 'you look so full of blood and swallows, all hail the golden king of the night' conspiracy/horror free association madlibs we should be decently separate from it

B. i am having an ok time thinking of ideas for horror stories but a hard time coming up with ways to fit jokes in there/make them funny

things i like about going with horror:

A. i am having an ok time thinking of ideas for horror stories :v

B. i just generally like horror, and feel like its widely-enjoyed enough that we wont be turning too many people off right off the bat with it as the theme

another thing i was thinking of is rather than having a central framework for the episodes, just have every episode be its own thing like tales from the crypt/outer limits/goosebumps/ru afraid of the dark

if anyone wanted to do a set of stories or write a sequel to an episode that would be fine, and it would smooth over changes in tone from having different eps being written by different people

HOWEVER having a cast of characters and a setting predetermined would make for easier writing so i see that side of it too

oh god i have written more in this than any other post of mine on these forums but i have one more thing to say, if folks arent as down with the horror some other ideas for what we could do i had were we could do a soap opera, or we could just do a straight-up podcast sitcom like we have been (but with non-in-jokey characters/setting)

the big problem with these ideas is they would require legit ACTING and not just reading a story to people.

ok my poor widdwe fingers are chapped and raw from all this serious posting

• Like 5

(i'm not trying to poo-poo anything here, just tossing out the thoughts i had about the whole thing for the last couple days. i'm excited to get started writing something)

• Like 2

I like the idea of a Tales From the Crypt type of horror thing. If creating new characters is difficult at times, I think it's fine to reuse some characters from other stories, as long as the new story doesn't rely on having read (or heard?) the other stories.

I also like Greggy's ideas, particularly the podcast sitcom idea because I'm really not familiar with any soap operas so I may not have much to draw from there. American Horror Story is like a soap opera horror show, so maybe JeffreyParties will end up writing a little bit of soap opera type horror stuff anyway.

What I think we should do is write whichever type of show jumps out at us most or write one of each type and see which one ends up feeling more like what we'd like to expand on (or keep writing both, honestly, because I think enough forumheads are gonna get in on this that we could do more than one thing).

I also like the Rocky vs Rambo-type collaborative screenplay idea, but I think we should wait on that because it will be a lot more difficult to plan out logistically.

• Like 4

new idea: Podcast Television Network.

every episode of the show could be whatever anyone wrote as it's own "show". if JeffroFiestas wants to toss up a horror serial story then this week you happened to tune in to PTN for an episode of The Haunted Closet. if i write a one-off horror story, its the PTN Movie of the Week, It Came From Someplace. Veebs writes a new episode of Have Mercy, brought to you by Treese brand saltine crackers, a family company.

this kind of veers away from WtNV territory back the Adventure Hour but i dont know of anyone doing exactly this

its another idea that would require voice acting tho, and our two forum members who are women would really have their work cut out for them

• Like 4

also putting together any show with several people involved will take a while i just realized, MAKING PODCATS MAY BE DIFFICULT FRIENDS

• Like 2

i'm trying to write something but am not veri fast and am kinda a perfectionist which means it will probs never get done.

....BUT.... i freelance doing audio post-production for film (i build these nature soundscapes for a sleepytime smart tv app).i have access to HUGE sfx libraries and am veri fast in pro-tools, so I could offer my services in editing everything together and doing musical interludes/sfx...

• Like 7

i'm trying to write something but am not veri fast and am kinda a perfectionist which means it will probs never get done.

....BUT.... i freelance doing audio post-production for film (i build these nature soundscapes for a sleepytime smart tv app).i have access to HUGE sfx libraries and am veri fast in pro-tools, so I could offer my services in editing everything together and doing musical interludes/sfx...

this post is a dream come true

• Like 4

I'm sure I have something to add, but I am not sure about what that might be yet.

• Like 4

The podcast television network idea is great. It allows us to come up with our own stuff, and also is pretty different from anything I've heard before. It's such a great idea that Scott Aukerman is probably gonna steal it. It's like a creative way to let us do whatever the fuck we want. You could even record our segments on our own accord (if you have access to suitable equipment) and then piece them together with fake ads and stuff to really sell the TV network idea. And once we get some parts moving, we can hash out some more complicated ideas, like recording together and stuff.

• Like 5

I would like to do a MST3K style segment. Choosing movies that aren't irrelevant but old enough for nostalgia. we could maybe just select certain 5/15/30 min segments to riff on. It's easy to find the difficulties but I think logistically this would be reasonably easy to manage and to communicate with each other. like we could vote on a movie or 2 and each watch it and time stamp each joke made then just voice record our comments individually then layer them on the finished product. Or you all could just come to my house and have a movie night. idk, either way I would say a show with diverse segments would grant us more freedom creatively and not compromise anything by having to adhere to what would eventually become canon. I mean recurring segments but not necessarily consecutive ones.

short 'kids in the hall' type skits would cool too. some ideas ive had while typing this would be, like a guy that drives a motorcycle ALL the time simply for the coolness factor and when he has to get off he always carries his helmet around just to make sure everyone knows he has a motorcycle. of course he takes mc ownership it waaay too seriously

or an annoying office co worker that is seemingly inept and spastic at typing and any other menial task but operates at a more than proficient level and produces more than anyone else by some karmic balance of the universe. Like he or she existence is so unfortunate in the traditional sense that nature must counteract by granting extreme luck or fotune.

I'm down for whatever though really just spitballin

• Like 2

I would also like to propose that we make sure to write in hot make out sessions for any role I might play... its kind of a deal breaker

• Like 2

well the "television" part of the title is just the framing conceit of the podcast, it would still be audio-only, tho of course putting something up on youtube or w/e is always an option. i just think trying to do cross-country videos would be really tough to make good whereas theater of the mind allows us an unlimited special effects budget

mst3k'ing might be hard to follow audio-only but we could always give it a try and see how it works

now that i say that though it could be funny to play a really hilarious like HH segment or something while we make shitty lame jokes over it

• Like 2

segment title: "Tanks but No Tanks? No Thanks!"

• Like 6

I think it would be interesting to do a podcast as the Hollywood Handbook Illuminati where we come together and decide what's gonna happen next in showbiz and Hollywood.

• Like 2

If anyone needs me to read a story they wrote for the network I promise to do a good job at acting out all parts.

I have no acting experience except for this video I was in during my college days where I have sex with a desk chair.

If interested, e-mail me at jamesbucklin316@gmail.com. James is my real man name, don't tell anybody.

• Like 3

my first script is percolating in my head, it is Night Night with Joel VanGravel (name/gender of host up for debate)

first portion will be the monologue, which will all be jokes about or pertaining to Joel VanGravel's exwife/husband/whatevs

second portion will be the guest segment, and it turns out the guest is joel's ex, who is not too happy about the monologue

third portion is still up in the air, traditionally it would be a musical guest or standup but it could also be an animal handler or i was thinking like a child who won the national spelling bee or something having to listen to these people fight

SO i will start writing in earnest tomorrow prob, if you think of any sweet iceburns on exes for the monologue please post them

• Like 5

I think it would be interesting to do a podcast as the Hollywood Handbook Illuminati where we come together and decide what's gonna happen next in showbiz and Hollywood.

I also think it would be interesting if we, as in ourselves, were actually the illuminati. Just some randos from flyover states. We could come together and pitch ideas about what should happen next in Hollywood. Like who should have a nip-slip. Who should become Vine famous. Who should become a drug addict. We could come up with ways in which we would execute our plans. It would be fun and also highlight the arbitrary nature of Hollywood fame. (I am from Seattle, there has to be some kind of social message)

If anyone needs me to read a story they wrote for the network I promise to do a good job at acting out all parts.

I have no acting experience except for this video I was in during my college days where I have sex with a desk chair.

If interested, e-mail me at jamesbucklin316@gmail.com. James is my real man name, don't tell anybody.

James, I especially liked the part where you fucked the desk chair. And the part where you were fucking the desk chair. Also, the part where you fuck the desk chair was nice, too. The funny part is that I'm actually describing three different parts but they all have the same basic elements. Thus, comedy.

• Like 2

James, I especially liked the part where you fucked the desk chair. And the part where you were fucking the desk chair. Also, the part where you fuck the desk chair was nice, too. The funny part is that I'm actually describing three different parts but they all have the same basic elements. Thus, comedy.

Thanks Chanson! If I remember correctly, those were my favorite parts to film, too.

my first script is percolating in my head, it is Night Night with Joel VanGravel (name/gender of host up for debate)

first portion will be the monologue, which will all be jokes about or pertaining to Joel VanGravel's exwife/husband/whatevs

second portion will be the guest segment, and it turns out the guest is joel's ex, who is not too happy about the monologue

third portion is still up in the air, traditionally it would be a musical guest or standup but it could also be an animal handler or i was thinking like a child who won the national spelling bee or something having to listen to these people fight

SO i will start writing in earnest tomorrow prob, if you think of any sweet iceburns on exes for the monologue please post them

i think this is a good format. it's very loose and will enable a collage of forum collabz.

my two cents on monologue jokes/iceburns ... maybe the punchline is the laugh track and the jokes are just awful with a really loud laugh track that just gets more and more raucous ??

..so then i said 'hey that's no german shepard, THAT'S MY WIFE!'

ALSO i think there needs to be a house band only they're fucking terrible and the host goes to them for all kinds of segue music.

the band could have a name.

and a paul shaeffer type set-up guy.

maybe the paul shaeffer type set-up guy is southern and is asked to weigh in on topics from time to time a la engineer cody

maybe he has a catch phrase a la 'now i aint no big city lawyer but i know that i didn evolve from no monkay'

do ur thing tho, i'm just bored and procrastinating. plus the weed delivery guy is lazy as fuck and he doesn't start working 'til 2.

edit: bozos i liked that chair sex too. this is totally rando but when i was in highschool, my dad (who's hilarious btw.) referred to any and all sex that me or my sisters were having in our house as 'freak nasties.' he also called me 'dude' exclusively and would be like "DUDE, WE COULD HEAR UR FREAK NASTIES UPSTAIRS AND I DONT WANNA HEAR THAT SHIT" or DUDE YOU WILL BE SLEEPING IN SEPARATE BEDS THIS WEEKEND AND THERE WILL BE NO FREAK NASTIES "CAUSE WE CANT DISPRESPECT HER PARENTS RULES!! "DO YOUR OLD DAD A FAVOR AND NO FREAK NASTIES IN THE CABIN IT UPSETS YOUR MOTHER" "YES YOU CAN SLEEP ON THE BOAT BUT NO FREAK NASTIES IN OUR BED" etc. etc. etc.

• Like 3

http://www.scribd.com/doc/234164413/Ghost-John

It's super long and I'm sorry about that, but I figured we'd want them to be around normal show length so I guess I'm not sorry? Women, am I right?

I used Joe Wengert as my muse for Ghost John. He's pretty much always the meaning in my life (he's my inspiration).

• Like 7

http://www.scribd.co...4413/Ghost-John

It's super long and I'm sorry about that, but I figured we'd want them to be around normal show length so I guess I'm not sorry? Women, am I right?

I used Joe Wengert as my muse for Ghost John. He's pretty much always the meaning in my life (he's my inspiration).

joe wengert is very good and as far as muses go, hes only slightly below the 1999 mel brooks film, but leagues ahead of the band.

• Like 1